BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

• 2 months later...

If the economy had not have gone to south to Antarctica, then this and other projects would be under way I think. Its going to be a while before any major project starts in Nashville. What I say by major is the WES or the Sig. I was listening on NPR yesterday that there is a 1.2 billion dollar spec office building going up in NY City with no tenants. Can you say ouch. I am happy we are not dealing with that scenario here. BTW, I think the name of that project was Times Square II.

We are very fortunate at this time to see the Pinnacle rising.

I don't expect to see this rising for at least another year. It's a shame too because I think that the area that this is planning to go up is probably has the single biggest potential in all of Downtown/Midtown/West End. I would be curious to see the value of the property that Import Auto Maintenance sits on. I bet it's a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i heard this weekend that this project is officially dead. there are even talks of letting the new convention center construction use the hole to dump all of the excavated dirt and rock. interested to see who will step up to build on this very visible piece of property. shame west end summit never happened. it really was a good looking design.

ugh, no!

malls are bad enough, a downtown mall, even worse. i think they should cut their losses, let the cc fill it up with junk, and build some low rise (2 or 3 stories) structures there that front all the way up to the sidewalk. no parking in front, and consider it dense infill

• 4 months later...

Oh man! What are they gonna do about all of that? Is this project still on the boards or has Palmer officially pulled the plug on it? Either way, he'll need to pull the plug on that oversized bathtub to drain the water (that doesn't look too far away from flooding the streets).

Lol that sign has been up so long that it's black and white from sun-fading.

• 1 month later...

The Tennessean has a great picture of "Lake Palmer" today.. also included in this article is talk about the Double-A development in East Nash, 5th and Main, and a subdivision in Antioch

Delayed projects create eyesores, safety concerns

Palmer had this to say about WES:

"I don't like it either," the developer of the West End Summit said of his sizable Midtown hole. "But what I'm trying to do is something nice for the city."

Palmer, whose $310 million project has not violated any codes, said he is working to find financing and could bring in an outside investor.

"Nothing has really changed," he said of the development, where construction stopped more than a year ago.

Oh man, he keeps on teasing us like we really believe this is geting built anytime soon. I would love to see this go up, as it would connect West End/Midtown/Gulch/Music Row/Downtown much better. However, with the state of the condo market and the economy still recovering or in the dip I don't see this thing getting built soon. Maybe the new CC will spur some development, but we can only hope it influences buildings like this and Sig to get built.

As much as I like to see this get built, I wish developers would focus on more affordable housing in the downtown area. As we see with the struggling condo market, the area is now flooded and doing poorly. We need to focus on "smaller" things we can do to improve the urban fabric. Such as small steps to improve transport options, improving the neighborhoods and areas with parks, accessible walking areas, biking areas, improve street scapes (yay riverfront development and boo transmission lines), a good mix of commercial store fronts and affordable living areas, connectivity between neighborhoods, improved schools, etc.

Edited by timmay143

... We need to focus on "smaller" things we can do to improve the urban fabric. ...

Like getting rid of the drunks, bums and panhandlers that hassle me every time I walk through downtown. I donate money to a homeless shelter in Atlanta in hopes of luring them away from Nashville.

Like getting rid of the drunks, bums and panhandlers that hassle me every time I walk through downtown. I donate money to a homeless shelter in Atlanta in hopes of luring them away from Nashville.

Haha... don't send them our way. We have enough here as it is. Here in Atlanta they have these meters on the downtown sidewalks that have signs that say something like: "Do not encourage panhandlers, if you'd like to make a donation to help homelessness please donate your spare change here." They've put them in the worst areas for panhandling. The meters securely collect the change and then it's doled out to local shelters. I think it's a good idea for any city to have these "panhandler meters." Anyway, this is off topic...

Oh man, he keeps on teasing us like we really believe this is geting built anytime soon. I would love to see this go up, as it would connect West End/Midtown/Gulch/Music Row/Downtown much better. However, with the state of the condo market and the economy still recovering or in the dip I don't see this thing getting built soon. Maybe the new CC will spur some development, but we can only hope it influences buildings like this and Sig to get built.

As much as I like to see this get built, I wish developers would focus on more affordable housing in the downtown area. As we see with the struggling condo market, the area is now flooded and doing poorly. We need to focus on "smaller" things we can do to improve the urban fabric. Such as small steps to improve transport options, improving the neighborhoods and areas with parks, accessible walking areas, biking areas, improve street scapes (yay riverfront development and boo transmission lines), a good mix of commercial store fronts and affordable living areas, connectivity between neighborhoods, improved schools, etc.

I hope you see how the bolded parts above will fix themselves without any help :)