BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

I will try to remain optimistic that Palmer will remain partnered with TPA and get Lake Palmer developed in some capacity. I still believe he should consider a couple of residential towers and retail on this site. This part of Midtown could certainly use some more residential. 

The view would be amazing also for some residential. I would love to be facing east in a tall residential tower. I don't think I would ever leave if I could look at Nashville from there all day/night.

• Like 3

Thanks. I thought it was appropriate.

I'd say so.

Dormant project gets new life, and should have been a damn certainty when HCA jumped on board. Then it came out that Palmer didn't have an equity partner. Then he got an equity partner, but HCA left.

Can't seem to get the ducks in a row on this one.

Now the audacity to say that 'now it will look like the original vision'. I sure as hell hope that includes residential...because I strongly doubt he's going to land an office tenant as large as the one he had.

I'd say so.

Dormant project gets new life, and should have been a damn certainty when HCA jumped on board. Then it came out that Palmer didn't have an equity partner. Then he got an equity partner, but HCA left.

Can't seem to get the ducks in a row on this one.

Now the audacity to say that 'now it will look like the original vision'. I sure as hell hope that includes residential...because I strongly doubt he's going to land an office tenant as large as the one he had.

Your right About that !! HCA was that deal that would had filled both of the towers , at once

UT Grad, He may have to get residential zoning restrictions removed from the area. Some may still be in play. I still would rather see retail on the site to serve Downtown, West End, Midtown,  and The Gulch, but The Gulch is getting full of high end retail, of which I cannot afford, so we need moderately priced retail for those in the core without having to pay outlandish prices in The Gulch.

Edited by Urban Architecture
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't be 'shocked', but I think at least one of them will end up moving in the next several. It looks like Metrocenter is becoming more of a hub for the 'downtown' car dealerships. Car dealerships seem to work well in close proximity to one another. With Jim Reed having changed ownership, and the Mazda dealer not having a long history downtown, I can see those two being easier to move. Beaman will probably stay until he can squeeze another zero out of the check for the land.

I agree.  I, too, wouldn't be 'shocked', but I would expect something to happen with one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

When I saw the world's tallest water slide on the news, all I could think of was deep wedgies and bikini tops blown off. Upon further inspection, riders will use some kind of special inner tube to take the plunge. Bummer on the bikini tops blow off....

I went to Blizzard Beach at Disney one year back when they had the tallest slide.Bikini tops were flying off. I loved that slide. Super scary to go down too.

• Like 1

I have become a financial advisor to one of my firm's clients in the realm of real estate.  I won't charge Mr. Palmer for this advice:  Sell your property to someone with the means to develop it.  I have learned how tough it is to persuade someone with so much (money and emotion) invested in a "project". Blame my old MBA classes on this and an old software package called Crystal Ball.   I promise... this is the best time to unload the former site of West End Summit.  The liability of a giant hole alone would be enough to make me SCRAM-ble!

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

Not sure how much money he has. If it were not for the hole, this issue would not be that big. We would have an empty lot with buildings on it. Unfortunately Mr. Palmer demolished the Corinthian Lodge and other buildings long before the hole, and long before he had a tenant. Now he has a lot that many may not want.

Had he kept the buildings and no hole, he would have little problem selling the lot. Since he jumped the gun and demolished buildings and dug an 86 foot hole, he is in worse shape.

It may cost someone millions to back fill the lot, and the hole. That is a lot of limestone to bring back in if someone wanted to pour a concrete pad and build a strip type of development, or even a Hill Center type of development.

There are not many businesses that need an 86 foot hole for parking.

• Like 3

Can someone help me understand the nature of Palmer & Co? Does this company have anything else that they do besides their attempted development of WES? I can't recall anything with the Palmer name on it (other than Palmer Plaza). Do they have anything in their current/recent portfolio?

According to their website, they are "recognized as one of the premier developers in the United States".

Edited by nashvillwill