BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

He needs to swallow his pride, backfill the property and sell it. Nashville has put up with this crap since first proposed in 1998. I cannot imagine the public dollars spent on this failed project. The Board Of Zoning Appeals, MDHA, Metro Council, and the Mayors Office have given time to this fiasco, and it appears Metro taxpayers are not done yet once Public Works has to spray the water with mosquito repellant again this year.

I really don't see how it hasn't gotten slapped with public nuisance fines, yet, or at least with a bill.  This place is quickly turning (already turned?) from a beacon of potential in the neighborhood to something approaching the level of blight.

I really don't see how it hasn't gotten slapped with public nuisance fines, yet, or at least with a bill.  This place is quickly turning (already turned?) from a beacon of potential in the neighborhood to something approaching the level of blight.

Keep in mind he has been hit with a lien on the property for not paying the excavating company... or was it Turner... whichever. To the tune of $1.8M. It's an (widely) unpopular tool, but I'd prefer at this point to see eminent domain used on this and turn it over to a developer from there. Not that Metro would be that efficient, but still. 

Let the Goldberg brothers get a hold of the property and we could have the pool, a badminton operation, a cirque du soleil troupe, $10 burgers and $15 drinks!!!

Palmer needs to add more water to his lake to get ready for the summer months, lol !! :-) Im ready to swim in the largest pool on West End!!

Pre-dug natatorium !!

Would the pool be olympic size? If so it would have my support. I have always wanted an olympic size outdoor pool on West End. It is really deep so they could probably have some high diving boards and maybe offer scuba diving classes.

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt ignored by most here... I decided to post this fluff piece on Alex Palmer.  Nothing new, but apparently the Tennessean wanted to know if Lake Palmer was going to be filled in anytime soon.  Apparently not. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/04/28/alex-palmer-speaks-west-end-summit-future/8424961/

Honestly, I still think it could be pulled off in some form or fashion.  The market is hot.  Even though AP may have "lost" potential "clients," he could benefit from a snowball effect.  That is, others will want to get into the market if Virgin and RB, Four Season, a new residential tower is about to start (SoBro), etc.  Of course my hopes are very low, but who knows.

I am afraid Mr. Palmer is out of his league.  He should sell the site to someone... and he could possibly come out ahead.  I'm thinking a nice intown Home Depot or Costco.

Definitely should sell.

I wonder if he ever stumbles across sites like this that make no bones about how we feel towards his failed endeavor that has blighted West End for so long...

This is the project referenced in the article.

Terminus building Atlanta.

http://www.terminusatlanta.com/

I like how his selling points are "mixed use!" and "unlimited parking!" Generally, when I think mixed use, I think of something that is helping do away with dependency on massive parking structures, not touting unlimited parking capacity.

• Like 2

It appears that Alex Palmer did not actually sit down for a 1-on-1 interview and only responded with vague generalities to questions submitted to him by The Tennessean, taking the opportunity to announce promotions within his company.  This is not surprising since Palmer has a well-known reputation for being elusive and very difficult to work with.  I think this also speaks volumes about the failure to obtain timely financing for WES.  

The loss of 'blue chip' HCA as the anchor tenant is hugely embarrassing for Palmer and will forever be a stain on his reputation.  It will also make other prospects especially wary of partnering with him for financing or signing as tenants.

I question if the stated financing for WES is still in place.  If so, it is likely to have an expiration date and would not be continued without signed anchor tenant(s).  It's amazing that Nashville continues to boom all around him, yet Palmer's West End Summit remains nothing more a huge hole (lake) in the ground that is contributing to urban blight on that section of West End Ave.  

I heard from a former staffer that he is seriously bleeding money because of WES, so maybe he will sell the site to a developer who is actually capable of building on this prime site.  

• Like 4

It appears that Alex Palmer did not actually sit down for a 1-on-1 interview and only responded with vague generalities to questions submitted to him by The Tennessean, taking the opportunity to announce promotions within his company.  This is not surprising since Palmer has a well-known reputation for being elusive and very difficult to work with.  I think this also speaks volumes about the failure to obtain timely financing for WES.  

The loss of 'blue chip' HCA as the anchor tenant is hugely embarrassing for Palmer and will forever be a stain on his reputation.  It will also make other prospects especially wary of partnering with him for financing or signing as tenants.

I question if the stated financing for WES is still in place.  If so, it is likely to have an expiration date and would not be continued without signed anchor tenant(s).  It's amazing that Nashville continues to boom all around him, yet Palmer's Wes

t End Summit remains nothing more a huge hole (lake) in the ground that is contributing to urban blight on that section of West End Ave.  

I heard from a former staffer that he is seriously bleeding money because of WES, so maybe he will sell the site to a developer who is actually capable of building on this prime site.

I figured the taxes have to be eating him alive for that location alone. Would be nice if he sold it to another developer that would allow him to mange the property after being built. He could always have a clause in the contract. I really hope something happens sooner rather than later.

I just dont understand what happened he had the hole dig , market the development , As If your ready to build Today! ! Then you let the giant HCA!! Slip away , that would have filled up both of the towers at the same time, i mean how do you let that happen??

Was he never ready in the first place?? What makes us think he ever will be ?? He lost a big one!