BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

• 2 weeks later...

LOL... and now it appears that the BP and Arby's sites at 19th and W/E are going to be developed.  Maybe Palmer can get the rock/dirt from a hole for the new building there and fill his hole.  Depressing is right... and embarrassing for him.  

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/5/14/key_midtown_parcels_could_be_reinvented

Edited by MLBrumby

I was in the Palmer Plaza office building earlier this week when I snapped the pic of Lake Palmer with my iPhone. Going into that building is like going back 25 years with outdated 1980s decor, brass fittings and dark colors. The firm I visited said there is quite a bit of unleased office space due to very high per square foot rents charged by Alex Palmer & Co., and they complained that maintenance and building services are minimal. As such, they plan to move when the lease expires. They also said that there is a large West End Summit model showroom that has been shuttered for years. Hard times for Alex Palmer all round. Yes, it must be very embarrassing to have to look at that huge empty hole and lake every day -- especially when Nashville is booming with other large developments all over the city.

To be fair, I think that whatever happens with that property, that it would be silly to fill the hole and pretend it never existed. We all know how rare a parking spot will be in this city in ten years... I feel regardless of what goes on that site, they should be sure to use the enormous potential allowed by that hole to provide plenty of parking for surrounding tenants and residents.

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 2

However, if you look at it as a 'reverse' skyscraper, (i.e. one that goes down instead of up), it is quite impressive. We are one of the few Cities with such a development, and of those, this has to be the (opposite of) tallest. 

We should take pride!

• Like 2

I don't think so... although the last time Palmer was doing his victory dance (when HCA's subsidiaries signed the l.o.u.), he mentioned that he had another site in midtown that he would develop next.  He was quite cryptic about it (humorously so, in retrospect).  His competition need not worry... they will be able to figure out which property it is by the large hole that will occupy the site for a decade.

There is an article in the Post about the property. I did a property search for William, and determined the Arby's lot was owned by Palmer. WW contacted Rick Frazier and he didn't get back to him. The gas station is owned by Coke & Grace. We do not know what if anything is going into the space. From the above post, I suspect Palmer may have upped the rent on the Arby's and they may have just walked away. It's probably an under performing location as they were closed on Sundays as it was and I am sure the night time traffic was slow with all the other restaurants in the area.

I believe public safety is a major concern with the site of the failed West End Summit project. With the excavated hole so deep, and now filled with water, it would not be surprising if a vehicle hit some of the Jersey barricades along 16th Ave. North or along the length of Hayes St. The hole comes right up to the edge of both streets, leaving little room to stop. Much of the fencing also looks pretty weak. A bunch of kids could easily break in for a swim. This could be a very dangerous situation with a lot of potential liability. I'm shocked Metro Govt. Has not required Alex Palmer to do more to better secure this site.

As an attorney, I can say it is a very big liability for Mr. Palmer. No doubt, he knows just how big of one it is.  Not to mention, he runs a risk of being at the tip of the spear of Metro legislation that would address the hazards of "failed" developments.

I'm sure this has been asked and addressed at some point, and I might have missed it, but is pride the only motivating factor that prevents Palmer from selling the property at WES? It would seem he stands to make a huge profit off his original investment. Or does the fact that he hasn't sold the property indicate that maybe he does have something in the works?

LOL... and Ugh! at the same time.  I still don't know why whoever it is that submits skyline shots for the city to brochure, stock photo services, and those who promote the city don't use a wide shot from Ft. Negley.  It's a bit annoying that the webcam at the Adventure Science center cuts the view from the south right at the Tennessee Tower.  With a wide shot of the Gulch (and future buildings planned for Sobro) that would be a killer shot.  But alas! I'm sure we'll be forever treated to the cliche shot of the ATT building from the river. 

• Like 2

LOL... and Ugh! at the same time.  I still don't know why whoever it is that submits skyline shots for the city to brochure, stock photo services, and those who promote the city don't use a wide shot from Ft. Negley.  It's a bit annoying that the webcam at the Adventure Science center cuts the view from the south right at the Tennessee Tower.  With a wide shot of the Gulch (and future buildings planned for Sobro) that would be a killer shot.  But alas! I'm sure we'll be forever treated to the cliche shot of the ATT building from the river. 

I've always thought the money shot for downtown is the view from the 40 south loop, right there by the Science Center, yet it is almost  NEVER seen in media of any kind. Google image search Nashville and it's page after page, almost exclusively, of the cliche ATT building shot from the pedestrian bridge, as you mention. I HATE that view, it obscures virtually all of the density of the city behind that one building which also dwarfs every other building from that angle as well, making it appear like a tiny city with one actual skyscraper.....ugh, indeed.

Edited by NikOnder
  • Like 1

I've always thought the money shot for downtown is the view from the 40 south loop, right there by the Science Center, yet it is almost  NEVER seen in media of any kind. Google image search Nashville and it's page after page, almost exclusively, of the cliche ATT building shot from the pedestrian bridge, as you mention. I HATE that view, it obscures virtually all of the density of the city behind that one building which also dwarfs every other building from that angle as well, making it appear like a tiny city with one actual skyscraper.....ugh, indeed.

The closest media shot is on Channel 4 as they have a citycam at the AS Museum, but it is not as wide lensed as I would like.

• Like 2

I believe public safety is a major concern with the site of the failed West End Summit project. With the excavated hole so deep, and now filled with water, it would not be surprising if a vehicle hit some of the Jersey barricades along 16th Ave. North or along the length of Hayes St. The hole comes right up to the edge of both streets, leaving little room to stop. Much of the fencing also looks pretty weak. A bunch of kids could easily break in for a swim. This could be a very dangerous situation with a lot of potential liability. I'm shocked Metro Govt. Has not required Alex Palmer to do more to better secure this site.

People have been asking that on this board for a LONG time.

Honestly, I'm surprised something tragic hasn't already happened. Palmer is toeing the line of willful negligence at this point.

I agree about the science cam. I actually emailed them to see if it was possible to pan the camera over to see the rest of the TN Tower and the Gulch. They replied and said the camera couldn't be moved. I'm guessing someone would have to actually move it by hand.

The closest media shot is on Channel 4 as they have a citycam at the AS Museum, but it is not as wide lensed as I would like.

Can you view this camera shot online?