BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

Metro Water services is using the site for storage of equipment and material for the water line improvements in the Midtown area. I was just wondering yesterday when this is due to be finished because if ASP has the leases to start construction, they would not be able to do so until Metro is finished.

The water lines seem to be no where close to being done either.

Anyway .... I was by the property this morning and there is a lot of activity. I counted at least three earth movers and backhoes moving each and hauling it off site next Lake Palmer... not sure what is going on but they not just staging of equipment for Metro...

My feeling is that there may be activity here sooner rather than later. With all of the leases being signed downtown, class A space is quickly disappearing, so I think we will probably see two maybe three office buildings going up next year. If this is the case there will be more development in the core, again sooner rather than later. There are a number of companies looking for space downtown from what I understand.

Let me say this. There have been NO permits issued for the site lately.

• 1 month later...

This is just depressing every time I drive by and see nothing happening here. Such a great location, and such a waste to be sitting empty. Seems like a massive liability to whoever owns the property, too. I mean, what happens when some kid gets behind the fence and, God forbid, drowns in that massive cess pool?

I do like the idea of an Ikea there, though. Nashville is the perfect city for one. Nearest one is in Atlanta, which is further than most people are willing to go, and with all the young, renting types moving into the city (not to mention the hipsters), it would do very well.

I'm confident we'll see Ikea in the very near future but not at the Lake Palmer...err...West End Summit location. I like the idea of Ikea at the potential North Gulch site we heard about a month or perhaps the Bellevue Mall site with easy access to I-40. The West End Summit site deserves something much more significant than big box retail. I'm still holding out hope that WES will materialize in some form as the economy continues to recover.

• 3 weeks later...

Just looked back through this thread. The giant hole is going on 4 years now! I cannot believe they excavated that hole in 2008!

Yikes! That sounds about right though. What a waste of money and space this has turned out to be. Heck, at the very least it could have been a nice community green space.

Something will be built here. Its only a question of time, and time is what Alex Palmer has since he owns the land. This is not a land lease so in reality he is not losing anything. Now if it were me, I would have gone ahead and finished the parking structure and created some revenue. Midtown workers could have used a pay surface lot in the area much like Tony Giarratana has done with Premier Parking. Something temporary could have been built there to create some tax revenue for the city. He did say recently that it would take three months to pump the water out of the hole.

Something will be built here. Its only a question of time, and time is what Alex Palmer has since he owns the land. This is not a land lease so in reality he is not losing anything. Now if it were me, I would have gone ahead and finished the parking structure and created some revenue. Midtown workers could have used a pay surface lot in the area much like Tony Giarratana has done with Premier Parking. Something temporary could have been built there to create some tax revenue for the city. He did say recently that it would take three months to pump the water out of the hole.

:shok: I knew that hole was like 350' x 150' (or something like that) and roughly 50' deep, but three months is a long time! Even without construction on anything starting soon the city should enforce him to keep the property drained and maintained.

Edited by arkitekte

It's 86 feet deep at its deepest point from street level. It's got 52 feet of water in it. I think it was supposed to be a 7 story garage.

At least finish the garage, that way he could be making some money off of it in the process. Just design it to be integrated into a future building above... I know, harder than it sounds, but the whole thing is just a dangerous eyesore doing nothing but providing a nice love nest for the local mosquito population.

• 5 months later...

HCA announced today that they are planning to consolidate and bring back a few hundred jobs to the Nashville area. I have know about this plan for some time but, because of the nature of my business I couldn't say anything.

This should necessitate the demand for a new tower, if they are smart. I have spoken with several contacts in the IT side and have pitched that idea. Suffice it to say, there might be a secondary reason to them building the new data center in Antioch.

Hopefully, this will spur one of Eakin, Tony, or Alex to court HCA and build something big. HCA will require about 200,000 square feet more to accommodate the transplant/new employees. That will, according to Nevin, put the total amount needed around 400,000 square feet total.

Article.

http://www.bizjourna...ack-office.html

Edited by dmillsphoto