BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

Here's the link:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2012/09/27/west-end-summit-to-include-225-key.html

What's funny is that Palmer said, "We elected not to announce the hotel until all the Is are dotted and Ts are crossed. We anticipate in the not too distant future being able to announce it. We want to be able to make sure it's 100 percent done." Didn't he just announce it without all the I's being dotted and the T's being crossed? I guess he means he won't announce the hotel brand until all the I's are crossed and T's dotted?

• Like 1

Well, now it looks like WES is going to include a 225 bed luxury hotel. Nevin Batiwalla is reporting on the NBJ that Palmer is planning a "4 1/2 star" hotel.

Looks like you're right. Thanks for the heads up. This just keeps getting better. :yahoo:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2012/09/27/west-end-summit-to-include-225-key.html

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but HCA has been HQd in Nashville since its inception so having two subsidiaries isn't exactly planting their flag, so to speak, but more like cementing themselves as Nashville's greatest corporate company.

I'm aware of that, but hiding in the back corner of Centennial Park is a little different than building a statement piece in the middle of West End Avenue. Which is essentially what I meant by "planting its flag"--making a statement that everyone can see.

Edited by SoundScan

Friends,

This morning I had an email exchange with Rick Frazier, Alex Palmer's right-hand man. He was very gracious in his response. This must be a major relief for the Palmer & Co. team. But like giving birth brings relief to a pregnant woman, now the really hard part starts. Will be fascinating to see it all unfold.

And I agree the NBJ did a strong job today with its comprehensive coverage.

WW

• Like 1

My guesses...

I agree that Ritz has got to be the front-runner.... but if so it will be approx. 100 rooms larger that Charlotte's Ritz

HOTEL INFORMATION

Located in the heart of uptown at College and Trade Streets, The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte is a 146-room, 18-story environmentally-friendly boutique hotel, built and operated as the first LEED-designed Charlotte, NC, hotel.

2nd would be a Four Seasons...similar in size to the one in Austin...

3rd would be the Intercontinental..... seems the connections are already made

I would say that Ritz and Four Seasons would be above four-and-a-half stars, no? Although, I must say that the Four Seasons were I have stayed are head-and-shoulders above the Ritz locations where I've stayed. I seem to recall that Palmer had a letter of understanding with the Intercontinental.

The letter of understanding was for the original WES, so not totally sure if it'll carry over to this reincarnation.

Most Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons properties are minimum 4 stars but not necessarily all 5 stars so that kind of washes out basically.

I agree with Bound's list think the Ritz Carlton will be the brand. The brands that are the highest of high are obviously pursuing Nashville because we've actually got quite a bit of concentrated wealth for a metro of 1.7 million and are frequented by celebrities/high-profile people in the entertainment industry (not just music). Currently the only high-end hotels in the midtown market are the Hutton and Loews. In downtown, the only high profile property right now is the Hilton. So besides those 3 and Gaylord Opryland, there truly is a lack of high end hotels in the city.

Maybe HCA will help land the Ritz with a side deal. The Ritz (and I am sure the Four Seasons) will build in a lower tier city if a corporation guarantees a certain number of room nights. I know the Charlotte Ritz had this type of agreement with BoA. Otherwise I think best case is Intercontinental. The Four Seasons was my own private dream. ; )

I would add the The Hermitage, in downtown, is actually the 'Belle of the Ball' of Nashville hotels. It is a true 5-diamond property.

Does the Hermitage Hotel (Forbes 5-star, AAA 5-diamond) not count as high-end/high-profile? Granted, it is a boutique hotel and not a national brand.

Oh yeah, forgot about them. I listed the chains, but the Hermitage as a boutique hotel is on a whole different level. Same can be said about the Union Station hotel as well, forgot about them too.

I'm curious what members here believe the impact of the West End Summit will be on...

this area of west end? what the car lots will become and when...?

downtown...? more apartments/residential?

it seems with BRT added into the mix, these 2000 HCAers will be able to easily go downtown, to east nashville, etc(assuming they'll ride it...)

exciting times for development in nashville!

Ok, I may be in the huge minority here, but I don't much care for the design of these buildings. Not very much from these buildings as far as pedestrian involvement.

Looking at the rendering (take your pick), it shows a massive center driveway with two entrance/exits out to West End. That alone is problem one. Also, there isn't much room for any commercial space to front the street. Maybe one restaurant space along West End. I am expecting nothing but glass walls along the sidewalks on 16th and 17th. Also, like most other buildings along Hayes, I expect a big ugly parking/loading area on that side. Much like Loews Vanderbilt.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great development and a nice economic boost for the area, but as usual, I'm disappointed in the design. I was hoping the midtown rezoning would get us something great on this plot, but it looks like we will end up with the typical Nashville design. Big, auto centric, pedestrian offensive.

Edit: I really hope that I'm completely wrong.

Edited by nashvillwill

Ok, I may be in the huge minority here, but I don't much care for the design of these buildings. Not very much from these buildings as far as pedestrian involvement.

Looking at the rendering (take your pick), it shows a massive center driveway with two entrance/exits out to West End. That alone is problem one. Also, there isn't much room for any commercial space to front the street. Maybe one restaurant space along West End. I am expecting nothing but glass walls along the sidewalks on 16th and 17th. Also, like most other buildings along Hayes, I expect a big ugly parking/loading area on that side. Much like Loews Vanderbilt.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great development and a nice economic boost for the area, but as usual, I'm disappointed in the design. I was hoping the midtown rezoning would get us something great on this plot, but it looks like we will end up with the typical Nashville design. Big, auto centric, pedestrian offensive.

Edit: I really hope that I'm completely wrong.

I am torn about this. On one hand, they're towers that will add to the skyline and are, by nature, dense. The courtyard though needs to be a courtyard, not a driveway. Have entrances to the parking garages off side streets and line the courtyard with restaurants, shops, and entrances. Don't make it a big traffic circle that people can't walk through without worrying about getting hit.

I also like the older design... the style lends itself to a very tall building... the new rendering makes them look extremely squatty. Maybe Palmer will see fit to "overbuild" one of the towers up to 40+ stories. These articles say that HCA will want room to grow in future.

I believe it's been mentioned that this design is being reworked... even the articles state that the buildings will be twins of around 20 floors, and 900,000 sf. of office space (not including the hotel). So if that amount of sf were spread out over 25k floorplates, then the buildings would have to be at least 18 stories tall. And obviously, these renderings do not include a third building for a hotel. So just guesstimating... I would not expect the hotel to be a part of the office towers. So that would be an additional, third building of 7-8 stories for approximately 225 rooms. So where would that go? Presumably somewhere adjacent to the garage. But it bears mentioning that we have not seen the final redesign for this project.

Another thing crossed my mind... as 2000 workers descend on this corner, there will be a large demand for residential along Hayes... and no doubt the Gulch.