BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

31 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

They’re gonna have to physically block people from turning left onto West End from the interior driveway. 

Right?? Hopefully there will be a simple curb extension so it appears intentional and is an extension of the plaza/sidewalk. Here's to a big hope.

Make no mistake about it, I am utterly thrilled that this project is finally out of the ground and that we're getting some attractive towers with nice height... but I reeeeally wish that they hadn't retained the 'driveway' from the original design.  It's (quite literally) a design from the bygone era of the mid-to-late nineties where things like walkability weren't taken into consideration.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Make no mistake about it, I am utterly thrilled that this project is finally out of the ground and that we're getting some attractive towers with nice height... but I reeeeally wish that they hadn't retained the 'driveway' from the original design.  It's (quite literally) a design from the bygone era of the mid-to-late nineties where things like walkability weren't taken into consideration.

Ehhh while I certainly agree that I am not a fan of driveways either, I think the type of clientele they are appealing to (very high end hoteliers, very high end office users, very high end condominiums) does not want a 5th and broad or the commotion of a bunch of retail. Plus, this section of the Broadway/West End split is the closest thing to an interstate that's not an interstate. I think if there was not very easy access into and out of the site, it would lose a lot of its appeal. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NashWellington11 said:

On the other hand you could look at as they are trying to minimize the impact of the drop offs/pick ups for three large buildings on West End traffic. The driveway gives FedEx, hotel guests, rideshares and taxis a sufficient place to pull in and unload. Compare that to the insufficient driveway at the Omni that causes constant back ups on KVB. They can also program the plaza/park area in the middle of the driveway to provide green space and/or activities that would be a welcome addition to the area.

I understand your point, but somehow the vast majority of other major highrise developments in this city and every other seem to manage just fine without a giant race track sized loop of a driveway out in front, and I think the same goes for this development.  They could have put the drop off area on any of the side streets this borders too.   Unlike many developments of a similar size and type, they actually had options, and they went with the insular office park style layout.  I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it, but I just think it was an unfortunate choice . 

As for the green space, to me it mostly just comes across as useless vanity space.  I can see the occasional office worker coming out to eat their sack lunch there, but given how cut off and un-integrated it is from the surrounding neighborhood, I can't see it becoming a community gathering place.  I don't know, perhaps I'm just being short-sighted, but I can't see a family of four choosing to have their Saturday afternoon picnic in the middle of an office building's big driveway loop.

8 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Ehhh while I certainly agree that I am not a fan of driveways either, I think the type of clientele they are appealing to (very high end hoteliers, very high end office users, very high end condominiums) does not want a 5th and broad or the commotion of a bunch of retail. Plus, this section of the Broadway/West End split is the closest thing to an interstate that's not an interstate. I think if there was not very easy access into and out of the site, it would lose a lot of its appeal. 

Point taken, but I'm not saying it needs to be a retail destination or anything like that.  I just don't like the idea of there being a football field sized hole in the street wall just so tourists arriving in cars can have a slightly easier time checking in to their hotel room.  I mean a pick up/drop off area is one thing, but like @titanhog said, I think this is some pretty major overkill. 

But again, all of the above being said, considering the fact that this site was a giant hole in the ground for the better part of two decades, I'm not going to make a fuss about this one detail.  haha :) 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

On 1/26/2020 at 12:19 PM, titanhog said:

^^The way they have that set up, anyone trying to walk that sidewalk on the north side of West End better be careful of traffic turning off of West End into the development.

Shouldn't the drivers be careful of pedestrians equally as much?  No one should just turn without looking to see if there are any obstacles in their turn.

I agree with those that think the space seems to be an overkill.  Hell, another tower could go up in that space... LOL.  But seriously, I've stayed in plenty of hotels all over this country that have absolutely no pull in area for guests.  I'd venture to say that a great majority of the hotels in NYC do not.  Guess what? They survive. 

One could argue that the space will give residents, workers and hotel guests a place to go outside if even for a brief moment.  However, I think roof top space would be preferred.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Shouldn't the drivers be careful of pedestrians equally as much?  No one should just turn without looking to see if there are any obstacles in their turn.

Well...that goes without saying.  However...cars coming off of a main thoroughfare right in front of a major intersection (split) will be quickly trying to turn into the development...especially if they're heading east.  I'm just saying pedestrians will have to be extra careful walking that sidewalk as it goes through the entry / exit (more than they would on a less busy street.)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I agree with those that think the space seems to be an overkill.  Hell, another tower could go up in that space... LOL.  But seriously, I've stayed in plenty of hotels all over this country that have absolutely no pull in area for guests.  I'd venture to say that a great majority of the hotels in NYC do not.  Guess what? They survive. 

One could argue that the space will give residents, workers and hotel guests a place to go outside if even for a brief moment.  However, I think roof top space would be preferred.

The drivers should definitely be careful too.  However when a car and person walking collide, there is an undisputed winner every time and cars remain undefeated.

Edited by Jarno

Speaking of pedestrians and drivers there was another pedestrian death yesterday which wets us on to another record setting year for pedestrian deaths in Nashville.

This goes back to the discussion on the West Nashville thread.. Raise hell with your Council person so they can raise hell with the Mayor so he can raise hell with the governor. In this case crap does roll up hill to get things done.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1