BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

3 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Speaking of pedestrians and drivers there was another pedestrian death yesterday which wets us on to another record setting year for pedestrian deaths in Nashville.

This goes back to the discussion on the West Nashville thread.. Raise hell with your Council person so they can raise hell with the Mayor so he can raise hell with the governor. In this case crap does roll up hill to get things done.

Yes, there was another tragic pedestrian death yesterday, but this one was not a person crossing at an intersection, but one mid block on a very busy street-always a VERY dangerous (and illegal) choice for a pedestrian.

4 hours ago, 12Mouth said:

I don’t really disagree with any of this. But I think that most pedestrians who are choosing to cross mid block instead of add 15 minutes to their journey are not stupid. Can you imagine if we required all cars getting off the freeway to turn right, drive for seven minutes, do a u turn and drive back for seven minutes instead of allowing a left turn? Every car would make an illegal left turn in that situation, which basically describes what we do to many who ride the bus every day.

Focusing on the fault of a pedestrian who is making the same decision that most people would make in the exact same situation is not helpful. Asking what we can do to stop these deaths from happening is helpful (and the answer is not telling people to stop crossing or wear brighter clothing).

So in your mind, is the pedestrian never at fault?

2 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

So in your mind, is the pedestrian never at fault?

Of course not. There are tons of pedestrians who make bad decisions every day. There are pedestrians that refuse to walk 10 yards to a signaled crossing. I just think that a lot of people make unsafe decisions because we are pushing them to make those decisions with our infrastructure and they are decisions that you or I would probably make if we were in the same situation. In those cases, the helpful answer is not, "well, that pedestrian made a bad decision," but instead, "wow - is our infrastructure here causing pedestrians to make bad decisions?" Many locations where pedestrians are hit making these insane crossings are at bus stops, and many areas, different people keep getting hit in the same places.

I've never seen a problem solved by saying, "hey - that was a bad decision by a pedestrian." Now sometimes, the question is, "could infrastructure have made this better?" and the answer is no. Unfortunately, there are many areas of this city where we know people are getting hit over and over again and still haven't taken action. 

This is old, but it gets the point across (and we still haven't fixed most of them): https://www.walkbikenashville.org/impossible_crossings_transit

If we want people to walk through our neighborhoods, we need to actively encourage it (and also stop cars from killing pedestrians). The numbers in the last two weeks alone are really troubling. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 12Mouth said:

Of course not. There are tons of pedestrians who make bad decisions every day. There are pedestrians that refuse to walk 10 yards to a signaled crossing. I just think that a lot of people make unsafe decisions because we are pushing them to make those decisions with our infrastructure and they are decisions that you or I would probably make if we were in the same situation. In those cases, the helpful answer is not, "well, that pedestrian made a bad decision," but instead, "wow - is our infrastructure here causing pedestrians to make bad decisions?" Many locations where pedestrians are hit making these insane crossings are at bus stops, and many areas, different people keep getting hit in the same places.

I've never seen a problem solved by saying, "hey - that was a bad decision by a pedestrian." Now sometimes, the question is, "could infrastructure have made this better?" and the answer is no. Unfortunately, there are many areas of this city where we know people are getting hit over and over again and still haven't taken action. 

This is old, but it gets the point across (and we still haven't fixed most of them): https://www.walkbikenashville.org/impossible_crossings_transit

If we want people to walk through our neighborhoods, we need to actively encourage it (and also stop cars from killing pedestrians). The numbers in the last two weeks alone are really troubling. 

3 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

Thanks for the clarification. I largely agree with those points.

I have a conspiracy theory on this.  More than ten years ago, when Tennessean reporters and editors parked in a lot on Broadway across from the main office, they engineered a sign (apparently installed by the city) that had an arrow pointing at the crosswalk that said "State Law".  The obvious intent was to suggest to the motorists on six lanes on Broadway that if they didn't watch out they would be violating a state law by driving through the crosswalk.  Of course the state law requires both motorists and pedestrians to exercise caution when dealing with a crosswalk, but it does NOT say a pedestrian can walk out in front of a car going 30 mph and require it to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision.  Yet , now these signs are all over town and many pedestrians obviously think they can simply walk out into traffic and make everyone stop.  So the above discussion is "right on" as we need to construct better crosswalks and educate everyone as to their legal duties.  It would save lives and make the city more "walkable", which is going to become increasingly important.

^^I like that blue glass look.  Looking around town, it seems we have blue, green, black and silver reflected glass on buildings.  Is there any other color that you guys have ever seen?  I know occasionally you'll see gold...but that was more of a 70's-80's thing...right?

There is a pink... not used widely for obvious reasons!
  • Haha 1