BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

16 minutes ago, dxfret said:

The office building with gold glass on Briley Pkwy near the entrance to the old airport terminal has always been especially hideous and has not aged well. 

And the glare off that thing is blinding at certain points in the afternoon on a sunny day! I wonder how many crashes on that stretch of Briley Parkway are the result of “gold building blindness?”

• Haha 2

On 2/13/2020 at 1:32 PM, donNdonelson2 said:

And the glare off that thing is blinding at certain points in the afternoon on a sunny day! I wonder how many crashes on that stretch of Briley Parkway are the result of “gold building blindness?”

That building was called International Plaza.  I worked in that building in the summer of 1980 when I interned with Northern Telecom (Nortel Networks) before they moved to Metro Center.  Interestingly enough back then and probably into the 90's people loved that building even though it could be blinding.  It was an iconic building in the airport area.  While it was the original headquarters for Northern Telecom, they didn't occupy the entire building.  When Northern Telecom tried to negotiate a deal with the owner of the building to lease the entire building, the owner refused and that's what prompted the move to Metro Center. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

I'm happy about the Hayes St. activation, as well.    Unfortunately, with each new rendering, 16th and 17th remain block long blank walls.     The blank wall on 16th is interrupted only by a set of stairs.   If you go down those stairs, you will find an empty sidewalk and turn around and walk back up.  

image.png.3fbab73ff7327f74ebeac446eebe57f8.png

Yeah...this development is lacking in helping build a true urban, pedestrian friendly environment in that area.  It's a suburban style (Cool Springs) development in an area that should quickly bloom into a much more urban, downtown-ish neighborhood.  Just like some of the older developments in the core, they aren't very forward-thinking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Nope, read the article as is says the north side of the development. 

Right.    From the article: 

"with some shops and eateries facing a green space that will address Hayes Street on the north side of the development, according to a release."

image.png.33592867b51db04b9153abbfaa342eba.png

The rendering appears to be from across Hayes on the north side, which is the Dialysis property.        

"When completed in 2021, Broadwest will offer approximately 42,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space, with some shops and eateries facing a green space that will address Hayes Street on the north side of the development, according to a release."

The green space will address Hayes on the north side of the development. The development is all south of Hayes. I know it is confusing. 

"Green space" is a term that's tossed around too freely among developers, and (sadly) city planners. Nashville has one of the most interesting downtowns of any Southern city despite NOT having professional city planners making key decisions. In fact, a professional city planner in the mayor's office might have prevented the sign debacle in NY... and the languishing east bank.  And don't get me started on transit... a city planner would have had important (persuasive) input in the planning debate for transit, all the way back to Dean... and especially to Barry.  Not so sure it would have prevented the Fairgrounds vs. Nashville SC debacle... I think that was just sheer stupidity. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, titanhog said:

So the building won't address Hayes...but will be up against a "driveway" and then green space between it and Hayes?

It seems apparent to me that there will be access to retail from both the courtyard side( west end) and from Hayes Street. There is no true green space between the building and Hayes. 

Screenshot_2020-02-19-21-01-54.png

Screenshot_2020-02-19-21-00-25.png

Screenshot_2020-02-19-20-59-17.png

Screenshot_2020-02-19-20-58-27.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

"When completed in 2021, Broadwest will offer approximately 42,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space, with some shops and eateries facing a green space that will address Hayes Street on the north side of the development, according to a release."

The green space will address Hayes on the north side of the development. The development is all south of Hayes. I know it is confusing. 

It's only confusing because there is no green space that will address Hayes. 

Really sad what's happened to Buckhead since I was a college student. Used to be the best hub of nightlife in the whole South with pedestrian activity over 30 blocks. Then it died... while developers bought it all up and schemed how to profit off its carcass.  The vision was flawed...unrealistic... and ultimately killed the baby in the bathwater. To use your word, now it's "lifeless". 

• Like 2