BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

44 minutes ago, TNinVB said:

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but when did the design of the office tower change? It looks very different from the renderings and model with the two open areas. Not saying I don't like it, but it appears that there was some value engineering.. 

Perhaps they were getting demand from potential leases for a second "notch." That's really the only difference other than a very slight protrusion of the two floors below the single notch in the rendering. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Great shots gman430. Welcome to Nashville and it looks as if you are having a great time with the drone. Maybe you can just move here and take weekly shots. We have a bunch getting ready to start in 2021.

Yeah gman…thanks a lot!  Please come back soon.  Those are amazing shots.

• Like 4

I just hope it's not all in vain-that the new year brings a beginning to the end of the pandemic and people start returning to Nashville and businesses get going again and hotels start filling up again.

A lot of hotel rooms coming available in the next year or two-I'm a little scared but hopeful just the same.

• Like 1

My take...  I think the pandemic has just started a flood of people out of the largest cities that will only continue as the lockdowns ease up. Space and cost are the drivers, all couched in the fear of many in those large cities that they didn't have a lot of self-determination in lockdown.  (My own city-bred wife has been talking of late about getting a cabin ("off the grid" as she puts it) somewhere around Tellico, but she's something of a hard-ass in general).  Companies and their highly-paid executives have already taken notice and started to move out of dysfunctional areas.  Let's not forget, a senior executive making $350-500K in NYC will see an immediate raise of $15K-40K saved in local income taxes alone in Nashville, not to mention the drastically lower cost of living in general.  That's an annual budget for a house they'd never be able to touch in suburban NJ/NY/CT. Space and cost!  Heck, with that budget a person could take her family of four to NYC several times a year and to shop, go to shows and stay in the nicest hotels. Unfortunately, so many retail establishments in those places will take years to recover.

Let's not overlook the real revolution that COVID ushered in, remote meetings. In the legal field alone, there has been a dramatic change in doing business where we used to drive to locations for depositions and meetings we now do on Zoom/WebX-Webex/FT/Skype etc.  Despite some stumbles here and there vis-a-vis adjusting to online meeting, people are adapting very well.  Even I finally got those apps installed at home for business use and I'm probably the least tech savvy person of my age. With that huge change is acceptance with a greater desire for larger properties with many actually now 'officing' from their homes. Everyday it seems we hear about another several companies from CA, IL, NY, etc. moving to TX or FL.  Hopefully, many will see our cities/state as an attractive alternative.  Contrast that also to taxes which will surely be rising in the coming year, and greater in those areas people are leaving, as their governors have already stated as much. In some places like NY that could start a death spiral of sorts with people fleeing the higher cost of living.  While business travel will be sharpy curtailed for the foreseeable future, there could be a 'new wave' of travelers when lockdowns end as people from those more restrictive areas decide to visit places like TN to 'kick tires' as a possible relocation city. May even be a noticeable bump in medical tourism for elective procedures people have delayed during lockdown. Safe to say though that tourism will be the last to recover, as people are now depleted of cash. Many restaurants and hotels are bankrupt (e.g. Sheraton and Renaissance in Nashville). While people will be eager to get back to a normal routine at their jobs/lives, travel will be low on that list (except as in our family with a single trip to a beach). In that middle period of recovery, Nashville could make a bigger push for larger conventions to help transition back to normal. 

Something locally to Nashville may be a significant drop in downtown residential as people try to assess the possibility of another bomb situation.. heaven forbid. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1