BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

Without a doubt, Alex S. Palmer is the biggest failure in the history Nashville commercial development.  He's continually failed to do anything with the huge hole/lake for more than a decade.  Meanwhile, the entire city has exploded with growth and development all around him.  It must be quite painful for Palmer to look out the windows of 1801 West End Ave (formerly known as Palmer Plaza before he had to sell it) and see all the development that has taken place around his once prime site. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Water was a component of the original design, but was cut due to financial consideration.

Yeah...that's what I was meaning.  The statue by itself is not complete without the water feature and the artist has mentioned that before.  I believe that's part of the reason people around Music Row felt it was not that great.  That...and the fact that you had naked people dancing around and the girl on top holding a tambourine, as if they remembered as they were installing the structure that this would be on Music Row and threw a tambourine in as a nod to "music."  With the water feature, I think many of those naysayers will go, "Oh...now I see!"

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, volsfanwill said:

Last week one afternoon on Mid day 180 on 104.5  Paul Kuharsky (sp?)  went on a rant about public art.  he HATED Stix but said Musica was beautiful.  

I just feel like Stix isn't done.  It needs some great lighting...and also needs some great landscaping.  Cool idea with horrible execution.  I knew when the city was sent telephone poles and they had to paint them themselves...well...you know.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

I understand the sentimental urge to "keep hope alive" that WES might one day see reality, but until then please post these other topics on their appropriate threads.  It just freaks me out to no end whenever this thread is highlighted. Like seeing a long dead loved one in the form of a ghost.  They're still dead... and so is WES. By all rights this thread should be buried four or five pages deep in past threads... dormant forever.  

Haha!  I didn't even realize this wasn't the public arts thread.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I understand the sentimental urge to "keep hope alive" that WES might one day see reality, but until then please post these other topics on their appropriate threads.  It just freaks me out to no end whenever this thread is highlighted. Like seeing a long dead loved one in the form of a ghost.  They're still dead... and so is WES. By all rights this thread should be buried four or five pages deep in past threads... dormant forever.  

It almost Tradition to keep this one alive, however it would be so cool to send ASP a link to this thread for his reading enjoyment, as he isn't doing anything else but looking out his window at all the cranes around town.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

It almost Tradition to keep this one alive, however it would be so cool to send ASP a link to this thread for his reading enjoyment, as he isn't doing anything else but looking out his window at all the cranes around town.

He doesn't deserve an office with a window. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

56095076.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

At the risk of once again raising hopes only to see them dashed against the rocks soon ...

A couple of new signs have gone up along the black net fencing around the WES site. One is for a new construction company (Brooks and something, which I didn't recognize), and one is for Alex Palmer & Co. It appeared that the signs for Turner were gone.

A small utility truck was at the site around 3 p.m. today with people walking around. Haven't seen that in a while.

It's a 50-50 bet whether this is a sign of progress or just another stab through the heart.

• Like 4