BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

I certainly don't know real estate, but as a potential buyer (not really) of a condo in Nashville, I would prefer a view of the skyline (a'la Broadwest or Skyhouse for an apartment) rather than a building smack dab in the middle of the CBD. But Mr. Giarratana has a strong desire to be on Church Street. Who am I to argue with his success? 

4 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I certainly don't know real estate, but as a potential buyer (not really) of a condo in Nashville, I would prefer a view of the skyline (a'la Broadwest or Skyhouse for an apartment) rather than a building smack dab in the middle of the CBD. But Mr. Giarratana has a strong desire to be on Church Street. Who am I to argue with his success? 

I think most people agree with you, but I'd much rather live IN the skyline than have a view of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e-dub said:

I think most people agree with you, but I'd much rather live IN the skyline than have a view of it.

I’ve asked this question here before, would most of us prefer to live in New Jersey with a good view of manhattan or would we prefer to live in manhattan? I love skyline views as much as the next guy but I think living in the city center is preferable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

.... I would prefer a view of the skyline (a'la Broadwest or Skyhouse for an apartment) rather than a building smack dab in the middle of the CBD. 

I've been thinking about this too. A private luxury hotel/condo building is better than the rinky-dink 505, but if you are outside the CBD with good views, WHY WOULD THEY PUT AN OFFICE TOWER IN FRONT OF IT???? Seriously, all of the hotel, and most of the condos will have their view of downtown blocked. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NashvilleObserver said:

I've been thinking about this too. A private luxury hotel/condo building is better than the rinky-dink 505, but if you are outside the CBD with good views, WHY WOULD THEY PUT AN OFFICE TOWER IN FRONT OF IT???? Seriously, all of the hotel, and most of the condos will have their view of downtown blocked. 

I wondered about that too, even when Palmer first proposed the twin tower design. I can only surmise a couple of reasons, in addition to @Matthadley's preference for sunset views and midtown to car dealerships with DT in the background. For one, I guess it has to do with office tenants will pay more for the DT view. Also, if the two buildings are built at slight angles and the western tower (residential) being set back from West End a bit more than the eastern (office) building, as appears to be the case from the renderings, many east-facing units above the 5-story garage will have partial & full views of DT... and the floors above the office building will have full vistas. 

From a developers perspective, I imagine with the office having the best views, should the building open in a bad economic time, you hope you can release that space in 5 to 7 years and make a better return. 

If you have the residential condos open up in a bad economic time, you have to sell them at market price and that’s it. 

On 9/8/2018 at 10:51 PM, Pdt2f said:

I’ve asked this question here before, would most of us prefer to live in New Jersey with a good view of manhattan or would we prefer to live in manhattan? I love skyline views as much as the next guy but I think living in the city center is preferable.

I would say that I'm happy with a little bit of both in The Gulch.  To say it another way, my life is happier because of the convenient access to restaurants, the interstate, a pharmacy (Apothecary on 11th Ave S), and because it's not a long walk to events downtown.  The skyline views are nice, but they are in second place.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Mel and Chris need to show up at a meet again soon. I had to be reminder what Chris looks like. Maybe you guys can join us in October as we will be at Woolworth on 5th for that meet.

SMegalopolis, sounds like a great idea.  I put it on the calendar.  Will have to check with my social secretary as the date approaches.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...