BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

I also like the older design... the style lends itself to a very tall building... the new rendering makes them look extremely squatty. Maybe Palmer will see fit to "overbuild" one of the towers up to 40+ stories. These articles say that HCA will want room to grow in future.

I believe it's been mentioned that this design is being reworked... even the articles state that the buildings will be twins of around 20 floors, and 900,000 sf. of office space (not including the hotel). So if that amount of sf were spread out over 25k floorplates, then the buildings would have to be at least 18 stories tall. And obviously, these renderings do not include a third building for a hotel. So just guesstimating... I would not expect the hotel to be a part of the office towers. So that would be an additional, third building of 7-8 stories for approximately 225 rooms. So where would that go? Presumably somewhere adjacent to the garage. But it bears mentioning that we have not seen the final redesign for this project.

Another thing crossed my mind... as 2000 workers descend on this corner, there will be a large demand for residential along Hayes... and no doubt the Gulch.

I would look for an updated rendering soon. If you'll notice, the western tower is just a cut-and-paste of the upper floors of the eastern tower. That in turn screws up the perspective, so there's no telling how it actually will look once they get an accurate rendering up.

See, that's what I'm thinking. I don't believe this is the final design, it simply can't be. Unless a third structure contains the hotel, which I doubt, one of these two will have to be bumped up higher. I truthfully wouldn't rule out a total redesign and this was just meant to anchor the announcement and be for the press and public to consume.

A re-design would be nice. The current design is still understated and elegant aside from the squattiness of the towers, but I think the architects are capable of tweaking the design into something a little fresher especially if they add some height to one of the towers with the hotel. This is the same firm who designed Frost Bank Tower (Austin) and Terminus 100 (Atlanta), so they can put out strong work. Hopefully these will be well-lit at night like some of their other towers.

Edited by ariesjow

that used to be my favorite as well until i ran face to face with the guardian building, the greater penobscot and the fisher building in detroit. such beauties!

edit: i squealed like a preteen girl when i read the new this morning and saw this... as i'm sure a lot of us did, hahaha.

eric b

Edited by e-dub

that used to be my favorite as well until i ran face to face with the guardian building, the greater penobscot and the fisher building in detroit. such beauties!

edit: i squealed like a preteen girl when i read the new this morning and saw this... as i'm sure a lot of us did, hahaha.

eric b

All are masterpieces.

WW

I would now look for a large aparment building to be proposed close to this project. There a re a lot of viable locations and it would be a perfect fit for the area on Hayes street. This is just speculation on my part but would be a great area and with that would come more restaurants and shopping. Also would be a great location for a coffee shop when the buildings are finished.

I would now look for a large aparment building to be proposed close to this project. There a re a lot of viable locations and it would be a perfect fit for the area on Hayes street. This is just speculation on my part but would be a great area and with that would come more restaurants and shopping. Also would be a great location for a coffee shop when the buildings are finished.

I agree completely. Hayes is a smaller street and is well-suited for a few apartment projects with some ground floor retail to activate those streets. I was just at Sitar a few days ago and could just visualize all those under-utilized parcels and parking lots filled with lofts, shops, restaurants and pedestrians. Church Street also has so much unrealized potential. I would love to see some sort of repurpose for the large brick industrial building at the corner of 16th and Church.

Edited by ariesjow

Interesting the update says approximately 20 stories each which makes me think there could be some tweeks to the design.

To be honest, the render kind of looks like it was thrown together over the old design. The left (west) tower in particular just doesn't seem quite right.

There's supposed to be 900,000 square feet of office space between the two towers (I'm guessing the base floors don't contain any office space). But for the sake of it, let's say 20 stories of office in each tower. That's 450k per tower, or 22.5k per floor. Roughly a half acre per floor. I would think that looks about right per the rendering.

If there is a 200+ room hotel involved, I would imagine that would add at 5-7 floors to one of the towers (if not more).

The background photo is so old that the Viridian is being built!

Look at The Adelicia's website and the images they have for views and such. :whistling::dontknow:

Also, the fact the WES webpage doesn't show anything really other than a link to the announcement and practically hides the entirety of the development leads me to believe this isn't the final design and we're likely to see a new one out in the coming months.

Edited by NashRugger