BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

• 1 month later...

Noticed this week that the former Palmer Plaza building has been renamed 1801 West End Ave.  Much needed renovations are wrapping up there.

Yet another sign of the demise of Alex Palmer and his company.  Nashville has boomed all around Alex Palmer and all he has left now is a giant water-filled hole on West End.  

Edited by dxfret
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dxfret said:

Noticed this week that the former Palmer Plaza building has been reamed 1801 West End Ave.  Much needed renovations are wrapping up there.

Yet another sign of the demise of Alex Palmer and his company.  Nashville has boomed all around Alex Palmer and all he has left now is a giant water-filled hole on West End.  

Kind of sad that he was once the premier developer in the whole city, but now all that remains of his legacy is a giant hole in the ground.  There has to be a metaphor there somewhere.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

NBJ's take on the current news for West End summit.  Includes this: "Palmer’s latest plan for the site features 325 residential units and a four-star hotel with 250 rooms. Palmer, who is an office developer, also plans a 360,000-square-foot office building. By itself, the office building and its parking garage would cost roughly $160 million to build."

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/08/11/new-west-end-summit-plans-revealed-as-palmer-seeks.html

it's sad that I don't have anything, and I literally mean absolutely nothing, positive to contribute to this news.

Trying to get $300M+ together, still, is going to be a struggle no matter how many partners he has. I don't even think our new friends at Bank of the Ozarks will touch this one...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

NBJ's take on the current news for West End summit.  Includes this: "Palmer’s latest plan for the site features 325 residential units and a four-star hotel with 250 rooms. Palmer, who is an office developer, also plans a 360,000-square-foot office building. By itself, the office building and its parking garage would cost roughly $160 million to build."

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/08/11/new-west-end-summit-plans-revealed-as-palmer-seeks.html

Sounds like a couple of 30 story buildings?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris holman said:

http://www.maxwavemedia.com/Rendering/renderingD105.php

Previous rendering's of the tower the buildings placed in different locations

Thanks, Chris.  Here are screen shots from the presentation to allow for a bit more study (they keep flipping to the next scene every 4 seconds or so). 

Palmer Plaza render 1, 2015.png

Palmer Plaza render 2, 2015.png

Palmer Plaza render 3, 2015.png

Palmer Plaza render 4, 2015.png

Palmer Plaza render 5, 2015.png

Palmer Plaza render 6, 2015.png

• Like 3

I always thought that the buildings in all the renderings I saw were misplaced; that is to say, the taller buildings should be on the far side of downtown and staggered in such a way as to afford skyline views from all buildings (even if that can't be done on the lower levels of the western-most buildings).  But then, what do I know?

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

I hate the way it addresses West End.  Very suburban.

Totally agreed.  I really wish the city would enact legislation that mandates projects, at least ones of a certain size in certain neighborhoods, address the street in a way that contributes to the street wall and encourages pedestrian activity.  I know some probably think I'm being a stickler for something relatively minor everytime I bring that up, but if we really want urban neighborhoods that are thriving and vibrant, we can't continue letting developers get away with giving us structures that are closed off from the street, inward facing, and without ground level retail that also opens up to the street (at least on main thoroughfares.)  Randomly plopping big buildings down that are situated any which way on a lot for the sake of increasing density with no regard to how that structure impacts the space around it, does absolutely nothing to contribute to the construction of a thriving urban neighborhood.  It's all about creating useful space within the shared public realm, and stuff like the confused oddity below found on Wedgewood Ave. (and this is far from the worst example) which is far too common in this city, basically negate many of the advantages urban living can offer.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1368867,-86.7957725,3a,75y,257.49h,81.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4JL1jUJFQsePYmc-B-x85w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

I mean, think about it.  You exit the 'front door' of this project and you're in the rear parking lot.  How backwards is that?  It's so bizarre to me to see all of these apartment blocks that don't have front doors that open out onto the sidewalk.  If you're looking to get to the sidewalk so you can walk or ride your bike somewhere as opposed to driving your car, you basically have to walk a tenth of a mile all the way around the building and through a pointless and useless 'yard' in order to get there.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4