BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

Not many projects need that much parking. A big office building or hotel? Not a prime location for either, currently. Housing? Not as much return on investment.  Palmer was looking for a prestigious tenant, perhaps still is.

Palmer wants all the money back he spent on that hole, I’d imagine.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

I think it would be a great location for an office building, or complex of buildings. It’s got access for outlets on several roads, close interstate access, great location for prominent and visible signage, convenient to midtown, downtown, West End, and the gulch (less than 5 minute Uber to all of them), and similar access to plenty of restaurant areas, especially when Demonbreun Hill starts getting built up. The location is wonderful, the primary issue I would see if I was scouting a large scale office location would be hesitancy over dealing with a developer who dug that hole without financing. I would be worried throughout the process over what other wild card crap or incompetency would come up. 

57 minutes ago, Nash_12South said:

Not many projects need that much parking. A big office building or hotel? Not a prime location for either, currently. Housing? Not as much return on investment.  Palmer was looking for a prestigious tenant, perhaps still is.

Palmer wants all the money back he spent on that hole, I’d imagine.

• Like 4

The location has pluses, but currently everyone wants to be downtown, inside the loop. When that area fills, and it is getting there, this site will look better. Walking from there to downtown on Broadway isn’t as (kind of) easy as Church. There isn’t a synergy(?) or sense of place like the Gulch or SoBro at the Summit. It a space to drive through. I’m not saying never, just not now. 

As I think more about it, the car lots may be the worst anchor dragging down the site’s prospects. They are a great stretch of nothing between the area and downtown. No pedestrian appeal. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

The location has pluses, but currently everyone wants to be downtown, inside the loop. When that area fills, and it is getting there, this site will look better. Walking from there to downtown on Broadway isn’t as (kind of) easy as Church. There isn’t a synergy(?) or sense of place like the Gulch or SoBro at the Summit. It a space to drive through. I’m not saying never, just not now. 

As I think more about it, the car lots may be the worst anchor dragging down the site’s prospects. They are a great stretch of nothing between the area and downtown. No pedestrian appeal. 

Yeah the area could totally use some more time to develop into a place where people would want to work, but you also can’t forget that this piece of land has the potential to create that environment. For instance, HCA and Lifeway effectively decided to place their HQ’s in an area where they are close to mile downhill from anything else downtown. Or even further through the NES, Gibson, and Tennessean wasteland between Capitol View and the Gulch. It was the fact that the CV developers intended on creating that urban and social environment that made them want to sign on. If Palmer or whoever else eventually develops this land does it correctly, it could revolutionize that part of town and eventually spur further development as the area becomes a more desirable destination to work, live, and play. Haha this is what frustrates me so much about Lake Palmer, that I see so much potential in that land. 

I agree, the car lots are completely anachronistic in the urban core now. So much underutilized space. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Not sure I agree. Excavation is the hardest aspect of construction to predict.. 

The problem is that there's a very specific subset of potential developers who actually need all of that excavation. Everyone else gets faced with the prospect of filling part of it back in or constructing space with marginal use.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:59 AM, satalac said:

West End Summit is the Tennessee coaching search of building construction. 

I wish it was like that, at least that would mean changes would happen and for the better due to public outcry. (Shame The Westin couldn't have been the Tennessee coaching search of construction)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2017 at 6:32 PM, volsfanwill said:

HEY! We got a coach!

I'd take Pruitt over a hole in the ground any day!

(Honestly, I'm pretty pumped about the hire and the guys he's surrounding himself with). 

On 12/11/2017 at 8:41 PM, wreynol4 said:

No, it’s worse than that. It’s the Cleveland Browns 1-24 in last 2 Seasons nfl record.

I'm thinking Jimmy Haslem IS Alex Palmer. 

On 12/12/2017 at 12:58 PM, bigeasy said:

I wish it was like that, at least that would mean changes would happen and for the better due to public outcry. (Shame The Westin couldn't have been the Tennessee coaching search of construction)

True.

3f4.gif

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/01/09/palmer-launches-new-bid-to-revive-west-end-summit.html

Here are the highlights in which there are really none. 

On behalf of Palmer, Atlanta and New York-based principals of real estate company JLL (NYSE: JLL) solicited a select number of developers at the end of last year and pitched them several possibilities, according to multiple real estate sources. According to two sources with knowledge of the effort, buying the 3.93-acre property at 1600 West End Ave. was one of the options on the table.

Even under that scenario, Palmer is striving to preserve some kind of role for his company in whatever ensuing development would take place, sources said. Several developers and investors have attempted to team up with Palmer before, such as Philadelphia-based Rubenstein Partners and Dallas-based 

Despite multiple attempts, Palmer could not be reached for comment. In a September interview, Palmer said: "It will happen. I have been working on this full-time for 15 years. We’ve had some bad luck. That happens. You just have to move on. We’re working diligently. We’ve not backed off of anything."

Palmer, who's in his mid-70s, has said he sees potential for a roughly $300 million or more mixed-use development at the intersection where Broadway and West End Avenue split. 

• Like 2

That's for sure. Part of it is the NBJ trying to stay relevant as they picked up a tid-bit and decided to report it. That happens a lot.  No response from ASP.  Batson Cook will eventually develop it as they now have a share of the pie. 

Probably waiting on ASP to be out of the picture. I doubt it  will ever happen as long as he is involved.

• Like 1

Hypothetical situation: I was in Las Vegas last week for the Preds game (I'll post pics from inside the arena later if anyone is interested) and one of the tallest buildings in the city is unfinished and stalled indefinitely. The building exterior appears finished but there are several busted out windows, and I'm sure there is a moderate amount of mischievous activity that takes place on the site.   Would you rather have Lake Palmer currently, or have the exterior of West End Summit completed with 50 or so busted out windows and fencing still around the site/ sidewalks closed? I think I'd take Lake Palmer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 21jump said:

Hypothetical situation: I was in Las Vegas last week for the Preds game (I'll post pics from inside the arena later if anyone is interested) and one of the tallest buildings in the city is unfinished and stalled indefinitely. The building exterior appears finished but there are several busted out windows, and I'm sure there is a moderate amount of mischievous activity that takes place on the site.   Would you rather have Lake Palmer currently, or have the exterior of West End Summit completed with 50 or so busted out windows and fencing still around the site/ sidewalks closed? I think I'd take Lake Palmer.

It wouldn't happen to be this building, would it?

Tax bill spurs Fontainebleau redevelopment

https://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion/opinion-columns/victor-joecks/tax-bill-spurs-fontainebleau-redevelopment/

• Like 1

I never noticed this till today while looking at Google Maps... they have the WES property filled in the color blue like truly is a body of water...  while that's hilarious it's also embarrassing.  I guess their mapping program looks for water and automatically interprets it as a body of water if it meets certain criteria....