Nashville Area Mass Transit Funding

Would you increase taxes to fund a Nashville Area Mass Transit System?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you increase taxes to fund a Nashville Area Mass Transit System?

• Yes, I Would Increase the Sales Tax
    • Yes, I Would Increace the Property Tax
    • Yes, I Would Increase the Gasoline Tax
    • Yes, I would Increse the Payroll Tax
    • Yes, I Would Direct Funds from Another Tax (Income, Excise...)
    • No, I Would not Increases Taxes to Fund Mass Transit

I have spent many hours examining Mass Transit solutions around the country and I have not been able to find one that is self-sufficient. It is my conclusion that any state / municipal body that truly wants to implement a comprehensive Mass Transit System will have to coalesce funding from many diverse sources...including raising taxes. The model I see for Nashville (please remember I am only a layman at this) id Portland, Oregon's TriMet System www.trimet.org/index.shtml.

They have a payroll tax subsidy in place that takes $6.318 per $1,000 of payroll. So basically if you make $100K your tax would be $631.80 per annum. This seems like a bargain and I think you can deduct the amount from Fed Taxes.

I am as anti-tax as anyone but when I read about the economic and environmental benefits Portland has experienced I am ready to ante up.

Thoughts??

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raising taxes aren't always the way to go...it would be nice if the problem could be solved another way (restructure the tax system).

We already have a nearly 10% sales tax, and I'll be damned if I have to start paying a state income tax...

Reworking the current tax structure was my first thought as well, I would love to raid the road funds but I think that would be harder than new revenue sources. The road builders are one of the toughest lobbies on the hill.

I don't have a clue how transit should be funded. The feds have cut back from 80% to 50%.

TN's tax structure isn't the best, and needs some reworking. How, I don't know, but it's considered pretty regressive as is.

Maybe gambling's the salvation :lol: . But I have a hard time envisioning voters statewide voting for it to fund LRT in Memphis and Nashville.

Btw--Portland's a great city, but economically it's not been doing particularly well for awhile. Not that its transit system caused that.

Reworking the current tax structure was my first thought as well, I would love to raid the road funds but I think that would be harder than new revenue sources. The road builders are one of the toughest lobbies on the hill.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, because if you raise the gas tax, the road lobby will be pissed that some of the funds are being diverted.

I like the current system...but maybe mass transit (for all Tennessee cities/counties) should be under the same funding umbrella as roads (the gas tax).

Archived