Virginia Beach Arena (Cancelled)

vdogg

Crossing my fingers that this won't deter the council. An arena would still help bring more business to town, and the next time a team wants to relocate, they'd have a new state-of-the-art home in place.

The arena is barely hanging on right now. If there isn't a guaranteed team with it, you can consider it DOA come October.

Unfortunately, Seattle has a much stronger history in basketball (SuperSonics) and are aching to get a team back. In fact, most people feel they were cheated out of their team and the NBA screwed them. I don't see how the Kings will not move to a place with a guaranteed new stadium and large fan base.

This is bad news, and though I would love to blame DeSteph and Moss (those guys suck) I don't think we had a chance against Seattle even if everything were perfect.

Maybe next time or when the Jacksonville Jaguars want to move we can do something to coax them here.

Seattle is next in line to get a new Basketball team....though techinically that area can't really handle three pro teams, but it does have the money to make it happen.

It would be interesting to see VB build an arena that might be able to house a pro team, it would definitely put them in the market to score NCAA games.

Though I still want to see VB build a MLS stadium in Pembroke cause I would love to watch VB's team compete against my favorite MLS team. Heck, I was at a Red Bulls game in NYC (technically outside of NYC) and it was a great stadium, two levels, no bad seat in the house, and like the Portland Timbers, the Red Bulls also had their own fan crew that took up the seats at one goal side and it was really fun to watch. Definitely a great growing league.

From what Bruce Rader was saying, Seattle wants to buy the team outright, and Maloofs are not interested in selling. Rader also said that a meeting between Sessoms and Comcast Spectacor went very well last week. -----> http://www.wavy.com/dpp/sports/new-developments-on-arena-proposal

If this article (technically a fanblog) is to be believed -----> http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/9/14/3331720/sacramento-kings-relocation-virginia-beach-arena, Comcast has convinced the other NBA owners to allow a relocation, given that VB city council approves the arena.

As for MLS, I know they've wanted to expand that league, although I don't know how far up HR is on the short-list (I've seen Richmond suggested here and there). I'm not a fan of one-sided football/soccer stadiums, so I don't understand why Sportsplex was built the way it was. I get that they planned to expand down the line, but had they built a second set of bleachers for visitors, they would've been able to host more events, maybe some MLS exhibition matches, or even state championships. I think UVA's stadium is way too large. Honestly, they never even filled the stadium when the championship games were held at NSU's Dick Price Stadium.

Yeah, the Pilot always has an air of cynicism in any story regarding a potential Big-4 sports team for HR, and always tries to make it seem like this area doesn't want a team, when that's just not true. Having seen the teams pass us by, I get the "show me" mentality, but as the media, you're supposed to have objectivity (I say that as a journalist and former worker of the media), and just report the facts, not the lopsided stories that are loaded with enough details that basically give the commenters ammo. When their sports guys wrote off the UFL after the team was announced, I just shook my head.

If it weren't for Bruce Rader, I would've thought this was pretty much dead in the water, thanks to the Pilot not telling the full story. Bruce did a nice job laying out the facts but reiterating that there's still a long way to go.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the article:

Business and community leaders in Oklahoma City believe that “the Thunder help Oklahoma City in their effort to keep their talented young people working and living in the City rather than leaving for greener pastures elsewhere.

That's one thing this area does a horrible job of doing. There's plenty of culture here, and pretty nice weather, but HR doesn't offer much for young professionals (say 22-35, myself included). The high cost-of-living vs. low salaries doesn't help. Getting a Big 4 team could help, but it needs to open the door to other opportunities to keep the younger crowd.

From the article:

That's one thing this area does a horrible job of doing. There's plenty of culture here, and pretty nice weather, but HR doesn't offer much for young professionals (say 22-35, myself included). The high cost-of-living vs. low salaries doesn't help. Getting a Big 4 team could help, but it needs to open the door to other opportunities to keep the younger crowd.

I wanted to be an architect, there was little for me in the way of college other than moving out to the country for VTech, which would of landed me in Northern Virginia. Plus the urban density of the metro is extremely low and it is was near impossible to get the urban lifestyle I wanted to live being in Virginia, especially Hampton Roads.

Plus the high cost of living and the low cost of pay will always hurt that area because it is easier to move up to Richmond for less cost of living and much better pay.

It would be nice to see Hampton Roads pick up its first Virginia pro team, but none of the leagues are looking to expand in the near future other than maybe MLS, and there is a limited number of pro teams looking to relocate, so it is definitely a gamble.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/10/nba-site-would-bring-va-503m-year-study-says

City officials have forwarded the study to state officials with hopes of getting some state funding to help build the 18,500-seat arena, said Warren Harris, the city's director of economic development.

The study assumed that the arena would be built and operating for the 2015-16 NBA season. The team would play at other venues in Virginia while it's being built, the study said.

I am not getting my hopes up. Any thoughts? This seems to be gaining momentum. State govt appears to fully support VBs efforts and VB may be intent on building this arena.

http://hamptonroads....year-study-says

I am not getting my hopes up. Any thoughts? This seems to be gaining momentum. State govt appears to fully support VBs efforts and VB may be intent on building this arena.

That quote sounds like they are doing it right, for Virginia Beach to get an NBA team it is going to need to be a State effort and the team has to be the State's team so the team name should be Virginia not Virginia Beach.

I hope this works out for them, obviously in my life I have seen a number of failed attempts and I am expecting this to add to that list, but hopefully VB will prove me wrong.

It does seem serious this time, and VB is taking the proper steps. From what I read, the "team" would play at The Ted and (I believe) the Richmond Coliseum. Both are obviously smaller, and it reminds me of what the Squires did in the 70s. However, the original proposal called for 3 million people, between Hampton Roads and Richmond. Very smart to incorporate fans outside the region, esp. with the train service starting up. Unfortunately, that train goes to Norfolk, and ends at where I truly feel an arena should go. I've said Harbor Park's lot for awhile now.

Regardless, I have a good feeling about it all, even though the financial figures seem a little inflated.

Not sure what impact this may have on the arena plans here, but from various NBA insiders, the league is now pressing the Maloofs to sell the Kings franchise to a group in Seattle that would move the team there. A lot of this has to do with Stern wanting to mend fences with Seattle. Which, considering how he screwed them with the Oklahoma City fiasco, it's understandable.

http://nba.si.com/2012/10/26/maloofs-sacramento-kings-seattle-david-stern/?eref=sihp

Not sure what impact this may have on the arena plans here, but from various NBA insiders, the league is now pressing the Maloofs to sell the Kings franchise to a group in Seattle that would move the team there. A lot of this has to do with Stern wanting to mend fences with Seattle. Which, considering how he screwed them with the Oklahoma City fiasco, it's understandable.

http://nba.si.com/20...tern/?eref=sihp

Yeah, I imagine any move that happens next is going to happen for Seattle, though personally I think their pro sports market is over saturated there which is hurting their teams for a city that isn't big enough to have that many pro teams in it. NFL, MLB, MLS, and at one point NBA. Heck, even Portland, OR has NBA and MLS.

If VB is gonna get a team, it is gonna need all the support it can get from VB, Hampton Roads, Virginia, and some deep pocket wealthy people. I think that is the best way for VB to secure a team. I still would like to see VB push to get a MLS team and build them a state of the art stadium in Pembroke, not at the Sportsplex.

Edited by urbanlife

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bringitva.com/the-buzz/

Video w/ Sessoms after re-election says well know about the arena in the next thirty days. Watch the videos on the link. Maybe its just wishful thinking but it seems like this has momentum. The plans are waiting state funding, the governor has a video supporting the effort, and Comcast is interested.

Edited by varider

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/11/va-beach-quietly-pursuing-nba-team-arena

The proposal to build a $350 million arena near the Virginia Beach Oceanfront to attract an NBA team is moving forward with behind-the-scenes meetings. Mayor Will Sessoms said he plans to update the City Council on Tuesday.

A representative of an NBA team eyeing a move to Virginia Beach has had meetings in Richmond with Gov. Bob McDonnell and the city, according to Warren Harris, the city's director of economic development.

^^^ Agreed. I like that VB has a mayor willing to work with other cities and realize there's more than the strip. According to the article, the team reps are very interested in Virginia Beach. That says something, especially considering how Norfolk has been trying for the last 15-20 years, but could never get the ball rolling nor the cooperation.

Don't get me wrong; I give Oberndorf a lot of credit for helping turn VB into the city that it's become. However, I felt that she stayed tucked into her corner of town far too often, and was more about getting the tourists to the strip. Not a bad thing until you realize there are 6 other cities you've gotta work with, not to mention 450,000 residents who live in your city year-round, not just for the summer. But to her credit, I don't think VB would have as much name recognition if not for her.

The fact that this has been happening in secret sessions is a great thing. Large corporations (and sports teams) don't want to make large deals in the public. This only bodes well for VA Beach.

One of the most under the radar moves the city did was rezone the oceanfront and then move to form based coding. Even with the rezone, we are going to be due for some serious urbanization of the oceanfront. The form based coding all but guarantees it will be appealing architecture from the street level, making it a more desirable place to live and visit year round.

Now, we have light rail potentially coming in the next 5-7 years, to add to the urban density and even a new NBA team on the horizon.

I am usually not the most optimistic person on the boards, but I think based on this year's track record, the city is going to get it right and make this happen.