Virginia Beach Arena (Cancelled)

vdogg

^^^ Agreed. I like that VB has a mayor willing to work with other cities and realize there's more than the strip. According to the article, the team reps are very interested in Virginia Beach. That says something, especially considering how Norfolk has been trying for the last 15-20 years, but could never get the ball rolling nor the cooperation.

Don't get me wrong; I give Oberndorf a lot of credit for helping turn VB into the city that it's become. However, I felt that she stayed tucked into her corner of town far too often, and was more about getting the tourists to the strip. Not a bad thing until you realize there are 6 other cities you've gotta work with, not to mention 450,000 residents who live in your city year-round, not just for the summer. But to her credit, I don't think VB would have as much name recognition if not for her.

I definitely loved Mayor Oberndorf, met her a number of times during her career as mayor and growing up she seemed to always remember my name and my parents. Being just random citizens in the city, that was just amazing to me and an experience I have never had with a mayor in any other city I have lived in. But with that, she was a great mayor for a city that wanted to be a small town suburban city, but VB has grown much bigger than anyone could of imagined and it is definitely time for the city to act like a big city even if that means stepping over Norfolk to become the central city of the Hampton Roads region.

Well here is an update on the situation. It lays out a likely scenario. I'm not overly optimistic but I'm not down either. It's going to be a very interesting time next week when all of this is laid out in front of the city council. These numbers look pretty big though...

http://blogs.wavy.co...ach-the-latest/

Edited by mistermetaj

I definitely loved Mayor Oberndorf, met her a number of times during her career as mayor and growing up she seemed to always remember my name and my parents. Being just random citizens in the city, that was just amazing to me and an experience I have never had with a mayor in any other city I have lived in. But with that, she was a great mayor for a city that wanted to be a small town suburban city, but VB has grown much bigger than anyone could of imagined and it is definitely time for the city to act like a big city even if that means stepping over Norfolk to become the central city of the Hampton Roads region.

All Virginia Beach really has to do is make a decision about how they want their city to look in 20/30 years and they could immediately eclispe Norfolk if they wanted to. They have the land, the people, and opportunity (Norfolk bad decisions) to really go another direction if they really wanted to.

Norfolk will be eclisped if they do not get younger, more vibrant and understand blood on the council. That or get a big city wig to come and run Norfolk. Personally, I would rather see a Mayor like bloomberg come and run norfolk for 5 to 10 years. These home grown people aren't doing the due, fail to make the hard decisions and fail to make good decisions.

So va.beach is prime for the big time, all they have to do is really want it. Dont' suffer from what Norfolk has done in the last 15 years, be greater than them. Their current city council has failed that city's chances of becoming something special.

All Virginia Beach really has to do is make a decision about how they want their city to look in 20/30 years and they could immediately eclispe Norfolk if they wanted to. They have the land, the people, and opportunity (Norfolk bad decisions) to really go another direction if they really wanted to.

Norfolk will be eclisped if they do not get younger, more vibrant and understand blood on the council. That or get a big city wig to come and run Norfolk. Personally, I would rather see a Mayor like bloomberg come and run norfolk for 5 to 10 years. These home grown people aren't doing the due, fail to make the hard decisions and fail to make good decisions.

So va.beach is prime for the big time, all they have to do is really want it. Dont' suffer from what Norfolk has done in the last 15 years, be greater than them. Their current city council has failed that city's chances of becoming something special.

Oh I agree, when visiting other cities in the country, Norfolk should be on the same level as Boston or SF in the sense of being a liberal urban city that if more focused on big ideas and being the center of the metro. Instead Norfolk acts like the smaller, secondary city that is trying to make it as a small town.

They really need a big thinking mayor and a council that backs the mayor up. They also need to focus on the city as a whole instead of just downtown. I think if Norfolk focused on redeveloping, renovating, and reinvesting in every neighborhood within the city, it would be a much better city with a much stronger urban focus overall.

Instead I think VB is primed to make the move to create an urban core that stretches from Newtown, Pembroke, First Colonial, and the Oceanfront. And the developers today love being able to build sudo urban developments that are done on larger scales and with light rail it will help new urban areas to develop without the stigmata that old urban areas seem to still carry in Hampton Roads.

And if you throw on a new sports team like NBA (and I would love to see them get an MLS team, but then again I am a huge MLS fan,) I think that will be enough to put VB on the forefront of the state as being it's big city besides NoVa which seems to be a big beast of its own.

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/index.php/news/article/survey-finds-support-for-a-hampton-roads-nba-team/321765/

A recent survey of Hampton Roads residents has found signs of fan support for a NBA basketball team locating in the area.

Virginia Beach is considering building a $350 million, 18,500-seat arena that could become the home of major-league professional sports team.

The Virginian-Pilot reported Thursday that a representative from an NBA team has had meetings in Richmond with Gov. Bob McDonnell and Virginia Beach officials.

The Sacramento, Calif., Kings have been mentioned a possible tenant for the Virginia Beach arena.

Just saw this on Wavy 10. Per the reporter, Mayor Sessoms says he met with the Governor and with "a" pro team owner in Richmond (didn't say which but Bruce Rader says it is the Kings). One council member is skeptical about the new study they just recieved as the company used the same baseline numbers as the old one but this is the 3rd study which cost $40k. It ended that 'this' team is very interested in moving to VA Beach. I didn't find a story yet but I'm sure more will follow.

Edited by urbanvb

I listened to Nick Cattles' radio show when I left work, and he had Bruce Rader on. Nick basically called out Moss and DeSteph for the way they're acting about the arena, despite being the ones calling for this newest study. Rader made a good point in that they're just two council members out of many others, and honestly are in the minority for this project as well as anything else that signals progress in VB.

Bruce thinks the final decision will now depend on the Comcast Spectacor proposal, which he expects before Christmas. He's also cautiously optimistic about it being the Kings, but feels that the arena's not getting built without a major tenant in place.

Found a story on the Pilot.

The latest report on what the arena would do for the economy, released at Tuesday's City Council meeting, found it would generate more economic impact than an earlier study predicted. The study presented Tuesday, done by Texas-based Conventions, Sports & Leisure International, showed the annual revenue for southeastern Virginia generated by an arena would be $152 million, including $92 million in Virginia Beach. It would create 1,900 jobs and $8.9 million in city tax revenue

Another blurb I saw on Wavy 10 said Sessoms was going to name the team he talked with on the newscast at 11 but I missed it. I don't see anything either on their website.

Edited by urbanvb

• 2 weeks later...

From the Nick Cattles Show's (sports talk guy on 94.1) Facebook account...

The City of Virginia Beach will ask the Commonealth of Virginia for $150 million to help build the arena and attract an NBA team. Comcast is to present more numbers on the arena deal to VB city council next week. More on this tomorrow on The Nick Cattles Show at 4pm

ETA: And from Bruce Rader over at WAVY-TV 10.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/va_beach/construction-of-arena-moves-step-closer

Edited by BFG

http://hksinc.com/news/sports/press-releases.aspx Is the Architecture firm who designed this state of the art World Class Arena! For the City of Virginia Beach. Now its Virginia Beach's turn to decide to build it or not which I think they will. Mayor Sessoms is working hard to push this through!

http://hksinc.com/news/sports/press-releases.aspx

Lawmakers react to Va. Beach pitch for arena funding

Well, here we go again.  Just another VA Beach representative I find who's views are reprehensible:

Del. Bob Tata of Virginia Beach, an appropriations committee member, called the arena concept “pie in the sky.”

“This is a beer and pretzel town,” he said. “Realistically, if I had to vote on it, I’d vote no. I just can’t see. Pro sports, it’s a tough racket. It’s here today, gone tomorrow.”

He said he doesn’t think an NBA team could be successful in Virginia Beach if it can’t make it in Sacramento, the capital of California.

“The lobbyists alone ought to be able to fill up the arena every game,” he said.

So, just so we are clear, our deliagate to the general assembly bashed us publicly.  Calling us a "beer and pretzel town" is equivalent of saying "low class and poor".  You wonder why we are the forgotten cul-de-sac of Virginia and suffer countless tolls while it seems Richmond and Northern Virginia get all the perks (better highways and infrastructure), it's because our reps openly degrade us.

Bob Tata makes me sick and has the same back water redneck attitude of John Moss and Bill DeSteph.  This isn't the 1960s and 70s, our city has grown up, he just can't see it through his redneck agenda fogged glasses. 

I read that comment, and wondered what he was getting at. Such an ignorant statement, especially considering VB has the largest population in the state and is known for its suburbs and resort strip. The good news is Town Center's growth and the Oceanfront's success can prove he has his head in the sand, and that he doesn't represent the views of the people as much as he does.

I've seen people make the comparison between Sacramento and VB before, and wonder if they even realize the last few NBA relocations have been to smaller cities (and metros smaller than HR). And for the most part, the teams have all done fine with attendance.

Another good thing is that McDonnell is in favor of this, but I don't know how much influence he can have on the General Assembly. That could be the toughest part.

Edited by BFG

Even if the state doesnt pay anything. The city should approve it anyway. The state will just lose out on a opportunity of a lifetime and it will make the idiots in richmond feel stupid when we have the best arena in the mid atlantic and best shows. Bypassing richmond for top concerts like lady gaga and such. I think our city can pay for our own arena. Our city made close to 1.5 Billion in just tourism this past summer. we can do it on our own.

Ah yes, Her Eminence Kerry Daugherty, after weeks of obscurity writing fluff pieces about how parents should act with their college kids returning during the holidays (who doesn't want to be told how to parent their child?), has ebulliently returned to bashing the city council and progressive development.  I imagine it was hard for the Queen (jester?) of the VBTA to feel the twinge of defeat during the local elections, where each and everyone one of her cronies running for office on the platform of no lightrail and  no stadium were soundly defeated.  Or that the devil himself, Mayor Sessoms, was once again elected to lead our city towards progress and national exposure.  Times were most likely bleak for Queen Daugherty, until a grand prince still living in the 1960s threw her a lifeline.  Enter, Del. Tata.  The man was a real boob.  He called her land a "beer and pretzel town" and swore to prevent those who wanted to move past the concessions.  Now, her triumphant return to unabahsed attacks on progress have arrived with this article:

What fiscal cliff?  Beach politicians are raring to spend 

My favorite albeit benign quote:

Del. Bob Tata, a sports enthusiast, told The Pilot this week that the Beach is a "beer and pretzels" place that cannot support a pro sports team. When I talked to him Thursday, he said he doesn't know a single member of the Beach delegation who's on board with the arena.

After all, since Tata is a sports enthusiast, he must know exactly what the Beach and State residents will support.  Not the THREE OBJECTIVE STUDIES indicating this is a profitable venture for all, but the "sports enthusiast" Del. Bob Tata.  It is being a sports enthusiast, without probably reading a single financial study, that gives him his credibility and immediate "objective" reaction to publicly bash the area he represents and shoot down progress without consideration.

Lets not forget Daugherty's final blurb of her piece to show her solidarity with his redneck views:

"Virginia Beach has poured hundreds of thousands of dollars into this project. Time for City Hall to present a detailed plan that reassures taxpayers - you know, the folks who are worried about college tuition and how they'll pay for Christmas this year - that a sports arena is a sound investment.

In the meantime, pass the beer and pretzels."

Glad you're back Kerry.  Keep up your devisive NIMBY posts perpetuating anti-progess, anti-government, and racism in Virginia Beach. 

Kerry Dougherty's hatred of just about everything is not surprising to me at all, especially when it means something that requires the area to act like a moderate-sized metropolitan. She fits right in with the bass-ackwards narrow-minded mentality of the commenters at that paper.

As for Del. Tata, he's probably the type who thinks LRT is a mistake for our "beer and pretzel" town. Thankfully, the residents voted in a mayor who does not share his ignorant views.

Nobody takes Dougherty seriously, she writes at a high school level, and hardly offers anything insightful or thought provoking. I wouldn't be surprised if she writes most of columns wine drunk. 

Like Sessoms said, its a 50/50 shot this gets done, and I hope it falls through. This area desperately needs a game changer IMHO.

I'll try to be optimistic, but it looks like the city's costs are going to exceed the city's willingness pretty soon:

Va. Beach proposes raising hotel tax to pay for arena

This quote is very unfortunate to see:

"The report also indicates that the city's contribution to the project has risen from $195 million to $241 million now that the cost of borrowing money for the project has been included."

Comcast - Spect. needs to put up more money for this...

Ouch. I'm all aboard for the arena, but I agree more money needs to come from Comcast-Spectacor. The hotel tax is a good move, but another $46M is crazy. Even if the city is 110% sure an NBA or NHL team is coming, that's too much to ask from the public. Out of that $46M, C-S needs to put up at least half, if not $30M.

I'm not saying this should kill the deal, but for there to be so much revenue potential, it should still be made a little more budget-friendly. I hate the "my tax dollars are going towards.........." argument, but I could see the complaint here.

VB is going to find a way to screw this up. The only council member who has any idea what he's talking about is the mayor. 

Desteph is worried about people finding a parking spot or having to take transit to the game hahaha I guess he expects people to be able to pull up to the front door and walk right in. God this is annoying. Desteph doesnt even know the difference between the NHL and the AHL. 

Basically well have a final answer by February/March 2013

Edited by varider