Virginia Beach Arena (Cancelled)

vdogg

From ESPN 94.1's Twitter page, Virginia Beach City Council votes 9-2 in favor of continuing to pursue the arena.

That is good to hear, I wish them good luck with this move.  I know Seattle (which I think has too many pro teams for the size of the city and region) is going to be the city they will be up against with trying to score a team.

That is good to hear, I wish them good luck with this move.  I know Seattle (which I think has too many pro teams for the size of the city and region) is going to be the city they will be up against with trying to score a team.

Rumor is, the city of Seattle wants to actually own the team, not just attract them to the city.  I imagine it's to avoid what happened with the Sonics.  Supposedly, the Maloofs' don't want to sell the team.  

I think it comes down to the state now.  Va Beach IMO is all in for all intents and purposes.  That state either funds it or kills it now.  We'll know by February.

At what point does the city start pursuing other investors or the local Fortune 500 companies? We have Dollar Tree, Norfolk Southern, and Amerigroup, the third of which is in VB. It would only put a dent in the $150M, but if it takes something off the state's back, then I'm all for it.

VB has to consider every avenue possible to avoid getting caught off guard.

Edited by BFG

I would agree that Virginia Beach's main competition is Seattle (though KC and Anaheim are still mentioned so you can't fully discount them). However, I would argue Seattle is ripe for another sports league and it's not over saturated. It's a metro of 3.5 million people and is loaded with corporate money (Amazon, Microsoft, Boeing, Starbucks, Costco, etc). Right now it only has the NFL, MLB and MLS. Though, most people won't put MLS in the same discussion as the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL. From a revenue and popularity standpoint it has a long way to go, despite how well it does in the northwest. The biggest issue with their arena deal is that even though it would be mostly privately financed, it's contingent on local ownership which means the Maloofs would have to sell. Personally, I think that would be their best bet because they would get a premium for the franchise. The Maloofs have a lot of financial problems right now (see The Palms in Vegas). And it's one of the reasons why the VA Beach deal is so appealing to them. As long as the Maloofs still hold on to the team, then VA Beach has an upper hand. If they think about selling, then it's a different ball game. I guess first and foremost, VA Beach needs the state money but it sounds like that may go through. I have a feeling the resolution with this team will come down to the wire. 

I would agree that Virginia Beach's main competition is Seattle (though KC and Anaheim are still mentioned so you can't fully discount them). However, I would argue Seattle is ripe for another sports league and it's not over saturated. It's a metro of 3.5 million people and is loaded with corporate money (Amazon, Microsoft, Boeing, Starbucks, Costco, etc). Right now it only has the NFL, MLB and MLS. Though, most people won't put MLS in the same discussion as the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL. From a revenue and popularity standpoint it has a long way to go, despite how well it does in the northwest. The biggest issue with their arena deal is that even though it would be mostly privately financed, it's contingent on local ownership which means the Maloofs would have to sell. Personally, I think that would be their best bet because they would get a premium for the franchise. The Maloofs have a lot of financial problems right now (see The Palms in Vegas). And it's one of the reasons why the VA Beach deal is so appealing to them. As long as the Maloofs still hold on to the team, then VA Beach has an upper hand. If they think about selling, then it's a different ball game. I guess first and foremost, VA Beach needs the state money but it sounds like that may go through. I have a feeling the resolution with this team will come down to the wire. 

MLS is very big in Seattle and the Northwest, so I think it counts towards the number of pro teams they have.  Good point though about the Maloofs' wanting to keep ownership of the team and having that play a part in what happens with it.

VB also wants to put the entertainment complex at the old Dome site, which of course is just a few blocks from the proposed arena. Can't remember where I read it, but seems like the council plans to use the arena as a "companion" project, so to speak. 

It will be an interesting few weeks or months, that's for sure!

Remaining cautiously optimistic here. Everything looks great, and the updates get better and better, but I'm still not ready to pop open the champagne just yet. It's only because I remember what happened with the Rhinos...and the Hornets...and the Nationals.

Okay, I don't think we had a real shot with the Nats, but the other two deals appeared to be all but ours. Again, it's looking promising, but I need the official word that this team is ours!

Edited by BFG

Remaining cautiously optimistic here. Everything looks great, and the updates get better and better, but I'm still not ready to pop open the champagne just yet. It's only because I remember what happened with the Rhinos...and the Hornets...and the Nationals.

Okay, I don't think we had a real shot with the Nats, but the other two deals appeared to be all but ours. Again, it's looking promising, but I need the official word that this team is ours!

It is all going to come down to the state backing us or not.  They have all the power to make it happen.  I am extremely cautiously optimistic.  I have little faith in our legislators or the state, but this may be too good to let slip away.  We'll see...

I'm in the same boat as you, I remember the Rhinos and Hornets and the region was basically used as bait to score other cities to pay up for the team.  My biggest concern is gonna be with Seattle because I know there is talk about wanting to get a team to return to there and it would be an easy move for a west coast team.  Though I don't think Seattle needs another pro team, the city is big, but it isn't that big.

• 2 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/01/virginia-beach-hopes-nba-deal-tips-funding-quest

The Pilot makes this seem like an even further uphill battle. I know it's got a ways to go, but I was under the impression that the deal was further along than the article sounds. Seems like the Pilot just needed an article to remind people an arena deal is still being proposed, and figured it could loosely tie it to the upcoming General Assembly.

Here's a different take from a Sacramento Kings fans point of view: http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2013/1/3/3831372/sacramento-kings-relocation-virginia-beach-maloofs-comcast

For those of you not familiar with Sports Nation sites, it's typically run by fans who are bloggers that often have a bias (Charlotte has it's own too, though some of the bloggers there are actually pretty good). I'm not familiar with Sacramento's site, but this particular blogger is pretty familiar with the Maloofs and their quest for freebies. 

Here's a different take from a Sacramento Kings fans point of view: http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2013/1/3/3831372/sacramento-kings-relocation-virginia-beach-maloofs-comcast   For those of you not familiar with Sports Nation sites, it's typically run by fans who are bloggers that often have a bias (Charlotte has it's own too, though some of the bloggers there are actually pretty good). I'm not familiar with Sacramento's site, but this particular blogger is pretty familiar with the Maloofs and their quest for freebies. 
One of the main blog posters goes by the name SacTownMike. He feels he's taken the bull by the horns educating he "community"of Virginia Beach. He also claimed he emailed all the Virginia Beach city council and got a favorable reply from one of the council members (2/11 chance to guess who it was). What he doesn't realize is the "community" he educated were pilot online.com posters who already don't want the arena and represent the tea party minority, and the council already voted to pursue the funding through the state. Now, I'm not saying we have a chance because I don't think the state will fund us, but it ticks me off that some nobody poster from Sacramento actually thinks he made a difference.
  • Like 1

Arena decision pushed back until tomorrow. This project has gone up and down more than a rollercoaster.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/01/fate-va-beach-arena-project-pushed-tuesday

I wouldn't say pushed back, looks like they may actually have a deal.

It will be a joint statement with Comcast-Spectacor, the company that would operate the arena, he said.

I really don't see why it would be a joint statement if there were no deal. Rather, i would think he would simply inform people at the council meeting that the deal had collapsed.

Well, it looks like the Kings part of this deal is over :( . I feel like Charlie Brown with that damn football that Lucy pulls away every time he gets close. All is not lost however, as it appears they are still planning on pursuing an arena. Maybe if the arena is actually in place it will be easier to persuade a future tenant. 

http://blogs.wavy.com/2013/01/08/update-on-va-beach-arena-deal-and-sacramento-kings/

After years of talks, hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on consulting reports, and most recently an NBA team looking to re-locate, time seems to be running out on plans to build a new arena in Virginia Beach with the Sacramento Kings as the building’s main tenant.

Today, Virginia Beach Mayor Will Sessoms and Peter Lukko, the president of Comcast Spectacor, will release a joint statement regarding their ongoing negotiations to get the arena deal done.

Unfortunately, those negotiations are at a stand-still.

So, the Kings will not be signing an agreement to come to Virginia Beach if the arena is built.

At least not now.

Should've known we were being taken for a ride again...I really wish news outlets would just not report these rumors when they surface. Why get people's hopes up if we're just being used as pawns?

Sorry, this kind of thing really aggravates the hell out of me.

With the Maloofs still being the ownership group, this might actually be a blessing in disguise for VA Beach. With the city and state basically bending over backwards with a free house to accomodate their franchise, and they still wouldn't take the deal? There's something else going on that everyone doesn't know about. Like I said in some other posts, these guys are bleeding money (anyone see the story about how they duct taped tarp over some sponsorship signs instead of removing them at their facility in Sacramento?). They may be now thinking about selling, perhaps to that group in Seattle. Being taken to the alter and only having the groom not show up  does stink for those in VA Beach that were hopeful. But it's also better than regretting something 5 years down the road. Perhaps this will force to city and state officials to look at other options for building a facility in the near future. That way a home is there and the possibility of attracting a pro franchise is greater later on. Worst case you'll have a nice building that brings some great concert tours and other sporting events through town (see Sprint Center in KC).

So as I alluded to my previous post, something happened behind the scenes for the VA Beach deal to fall apart. Various news outlets are reporting "rumors" that the Kings have been sold and are now moving to Seattle. Not sure what to make of it until there is an official statement from either the league or the team, but it may be what happened. 

Seattle News station: http://www.king5.com/sports/blazers/Rumors-suggest-the-Sacramento-Kings-are-moving-to-Seattle-186149552.html

NBC Sports: http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/09/george-maloofs-virginia-beach-arena-ploy-predictably-falls-apart/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter