Virginia Beach Arena (Cancelled)

vdogg

20 hours ago, vaceltic said:

From the Biz Sense article: "But it really is a travesty for the grandchildren, all the children that are not yet born, the millennials that potentially could leave here because we don’t give the opportunity for this facility to be built in Virginia Beach.”

This is a bit dramatic and I think grossly misses the point on why millennials might potentially move out of VB. I would think providing quality jobs and schools, a moderate cost of living, walkable neighborhoods, and transportation alternatives are a higher priority to millennials than getting a Beyonce concert or a professional sports team. 

Yes. Yes. Yes.

All the things you mention are so much more necessary for a liveable "city" than an arena. Yet Light Rail is the work of the Devil and an arena is a gift from God according to some councilors.

The government really can't do much to provide you with a "moderate cost of living."  Except that they can continue to promote the tourism industry, thus generating additional tax revenues which will, in part, keep property taxes in check for property owners.   An Arena surely wouldn't hurt in that regard... Since beyond what the developer would recoup from taxes, there are multiple spinoff effects which would benefit the city and other businesses, like. 

Virginia Beach will never be a truly "walkable" city given the vast expanse of territory & the suburban sprawl plans from the 60s forward. 

Employers are attracted to communities that,  among many other things, provide multiple entertainment amenities ( like the arena ) and functioning transportation alternatives.  So far, we are batting 0-2.

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2016 at 11:33 PM, BFG said:

So...there's still a glimmer of hope. USM says they have a potential lender interested in helping. I'm a little more optimistic now-makes me think they might be able to come up with something at the eleventh hour and keep this on track.

http://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/virginia-beach-vice-mayor-says-he-voted-no-on-financial/article_727441ad-b484-5cab-b003-a706e5648bb6.html

I find it curious that Jone's solution to the risk of the deal to the city is to actually build the arena ourselves, which would increase risk to the city... 

On 10/6/2016 at 2:14 PM, vaceltic said:

This is a bit dramatic and I think grossly misses the point on why millennials might potentially move out of VB. I would think providing quality jobs and schools, a moderate cost of living, walkable neighborhoods, and transportation alternatives are a higher priority to millennials than getting a Beyonce concert or a professional sports team. 

No, majority of millenials want a place with entertainment and walk-ability. Not some 60's suburbia. This is deff going to hurt VA Beach. First the dome site, now this? Myrtle Beach is exploding in tourism and population due to their entertainment options. The loss of this is going to hurt the area whichever way you look at it. The people who voted against it will need to change  their minds VERY quickly or the developer will go elsewhere. I'm a millennial and im relocating to the area and am strongly considering Norfolk over VA Beach. Seems like VA Beach is stuck in the 60's. 

Sorry for my rant guys. This project should have gone though and didn't. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been living in VB since 2003 when I was stationed here but Nashville is my hometown. I have brought this up before on this thread and was basically told the Nashville and VB don't compare to one another. Recently on the Nashville forum it was discussed how the Bridgestone Arena transformed downtown Nashville into what it is today. In 1996 when it opened there was NOTHING around the arena but a bunch of old warehouses and garages. The arena was a huge catalyst for things to come. Fast forward 20 years and the area called SoBro (where the arena is located) which stands for south of Broadway is one of the most desirable areas of the city. The $623 million dollar Music City Center convention center opened three years ago right behind the arena, the new County Music Hall of Fame and Omni hotel, Schermerhorn Symphony Center, 30 story office tower, multiple apartment/condo towers, new Westin, JW Marriott under construction, and new 30 story Bridgestone Americas headquarters to name a few have all been built in the vicinity. There are also many more hotels and other development about to begin construction or proposed for the area. It all started with a vision by then mayor Phil Bredeson and was met with a lot of resistance and negativity. The downtown Nashville of today would have not happened without it. Also the building of the arena helped the city to land the NHL Nashville Predators, and also helped bring the TN Titans and a new stadium across the river. Again I know many will say that VB and Nashville are totally different and don't compare, but 20 years ago downtown Nashville was nothing. I have included some photos of the arena under construction to show the surrounding area at the time, and photos of how it looks today. Even the photos I am providing do not show the newer developments that have happened in the last year to two years. Also, the Bridgestone Arena is one of the top performing  venues in the U.S. and the world. That says a lot. 

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 7.50.16 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 7.51.52 AM.jpg

Here is the difference 20 years and a vision makes. In the first photo, all of the new development in the foreground did not exist prior to the arena. The massive structure in front of the Bridgestone in the new Music City Center.

Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 12.43.16 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 7.52.56 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 7.52.35 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 7.52.09 AM.jpg

Edited by TNinVB
  • Like 1

Since the arena has been so successful, now it's time for an expansion to keep it viable. Here are renderings of what it will look like in a few years. A hotel is being constructed on the arena as well as a new practice rink for the Predators. Renovations were just completed a few years ago so this will be a major project. 

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 8.33.11 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 8.34.14 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 8.33.39 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 8.32.30 AM.jpg

I'm still so unbelievably disappointed once again we've missed out in this. I've lived here for over 30 years but I'm about to the point that once my kids are finished with school I'm out of here. Virginia Beach has time and time again failed to take advantage of putting in place the types of things that seems to pass our area by. Only made more disappointing that we have had chance after chance

• Like 1

I think Jones is being a bit too stubborn on this issue, however, his case is bolstered by USM magically finding this 40 million dollars. Nobody just has that lying around. It begs the question, why did USM reduce their contribution in the first place?

1 hour ago, mpretori said:

Hopefully this gets passed!!! What are you all's odds of this passing? 

I would venture to guess that the odds of this passing at this point are around 50/50, maybe slightly less. I agree that the $40 million suddenly being miraculously available is sketchy as heck. But to me the whole junk bond thing is a deal-breaker. I frankly think "no" was the correct vote, both in the deal presented a couple weeks ago... but frankly even in the original deal.

Inside Business just tweeted that Council approved an extension 9-1. I dunno who was missing, or who the one "No" vote was, but they got the mandatory nine votes, so that's good. Hopefully USM gets the job done this time.

Edited by BFG

On 11/1/2016 at 8:15 PM, BFG said:

Barbara Henley voted no, due to concerns over parking. Jim Wood wasn't at the meeting. Andrea Kilmer promises to get this done...

http://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/commercial-real-estate/beach-council-oks--day-extension-for-arena-financing/article_e76a31fb-42c1-5aa1-baf6-287b7990544a.html

Barbara Henley changes her reason every time she votes. Wth is her problem?

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2016 at 10:45 AM, M.Rocks said:

Has there been any news on this or should I just give up on this project like I have with everything related with progress in this city?

VB is trying to figure out how to blame Norfolk for losing the arena. Once they figure it out they'll let you know.

Edited by carolinaboy
can't spell
  • Like 1

My former hometown was not and is not progressive enough to think big and vote for the new arena.  The proposed location is terrible at the end of I-264 and should be in a better central location.  Like many have said if this deal falls through Norfolk should step up and take on the project.  A central location between the south side and the Peninsula. We will see how this project progresses.  

Edited by skylinefan

The plot thickens. It appears that USM is now suing the city and saying that a super-majority was not required for the land transfer. Get your popcorn ready. 

http://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/developer-that-wants-to-build-virginia-beach-arena-challenging-city/article_0b47aaef-bf7a-5952-ab24-a375d8b132ce.html

16 minutes ago, BFG said:

This is getting weirder and weirder. Why move backwards if you already got an extension? To me, it seems like they're hiding something about not having the money.

This is what it sounds like to me too. They probably now know that they will not be able to get alternate financing, so they are looking for a way to backdoor themselves in by changing the rules. And how much do you want to bet that it was one of the pro-arena voters on council who may have nudged USM in this direction... maybe Sessoms himself?

There must be a lot of money in the arena business if this developer is pushing so hard to build an arena in a "city" with no pro teams, no college teams, no real chance to host NCAA events, etc. Also, wouldn't it compete with the convention center anyway?

Do tractor pulls, monster truck mayhem, rodeos and boat shows really pay the bills?

If I were VB I'd pull the plug on this now.