Seven Springs

chris holman

I think the Seven Springs needs it's own thread on UP. Even tho this is not downtown, LifePoint is building their Corp hq in the Seven Springs office park in Davidson county!!

I drove by seven springs about a couple of weeks ago and the two midrise LifePoint delopment is coming alone well. And its also causing other devlopment to be invested as well in the area! Im just glad Cool Springs hasn't been able to lured LifePoint out of Nashville

Does anyone have any photos of the progress of LifePoint?

A link to the LifePoint delopment http://www.brentwoodhomepage.com/business-lifepoint-poised-for-growth-with-new-hq-cms-7162

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting those, Chris. You're right that as much as we complain about office parks going in the suburbs, we haven't had a lot of discussion about this one, which is in a suburban area of Davidson County, but nevertheless is in Davidson County. My councilman in East Nashville did vote for the TIF or whatever city incentives were offered, and part of his reasoning was the additional investment that would follow and ultimately generate greater property taxes to offset the tax benefits. So I'm glad to see that this one is doing well on our side of the line.

Thanks for posting those, Chris. You're right that as much as we complain about office parks going in the suburbs, we haven't had a lot of discussion about this one, which is in a suburban area of Davidson County, but nevertheless is in Davidson County. My councilman in East Nashville did vote for the TIF or whatever city incentives were offered, and part of his reasoning was the additional investment that would follow and ultimately generate greater property taxes to offset the tax benefits. So I'm glad to see that this one is doing well on our side of the line.

My only complaint about Seven Springs is that it will add to an already horrid traffic situation on OHB. It's already one of the busiest roads in the city.

And though I am not a fan of the office park style...yes, this is in Davidson County. It's not like there's any urban development that is going to happen in that area anyways (there's very little space left in that part of Davidson County as it is...this is the last large parcel left). While it is technically in the city of Nashville, that area is most certainly suburban...so it doesn't upset me quite as much. What I do wish they would do in that area is CONNECT some of the roads from the neighborhoods and office parks together...at least it COULD help alleviate some of the traffic on OHB. A connection to Hearthstone and Kelly Road would actually do a lot for that area.

There is plenty of space in downtown towers for more office space. This "Anti-Nashville" attitude of suburban office park developers is nothing more than irresponsible development based on anti-urbanity bias. Nothing more. There is plenty of surface parking lots that can be developed in downtown without building more suburban office parks.

Big difference I see between Nashville and its peers is that Nashville's corporations aren't as big at cheerleading for their hometowns, especially when you consider the well-founded reluctance of healthcare firms to build flashy headquarters. Gone are the days of the Humana headquarter building in Louisville, tall and interesting (if not a pretty building), but no doubt, a lot of money was spent (for the day) on that building designed by the "hot" architect of the day Michael Graves. Even the first building at the HCA campus (built when the company had not broken the F500) has a lot of marble in that lobby and along mahogany row. But it is not politically popular.

Aside from that, Nashville has no hometown banks anymore (I guess you could call Pinnacle a moderately important player), but banks have been just about the only companies you could count on to build dedicated office towers. The 1980s in Atlanta, Dallas and Houston were something of a blip as those cities were actually dealing with pent-up demand for a wave of domestic companies expanding into the South. Still, there were booms and busts (at least three cycles in Dallas, and two significant ones in Atlanta, Houston had a long funk)... because (in short) developers in those areas really didn't know what they were dealing with. The so-called "Brave New World" of the post-war sunbelt boom and GDP growth rates that were up to 3 times greater than today. Even Nashville had its own little "boom", but back then no one expected Nashville to ever be a real boomtown. That was mostly pent-up, and changing technology.

Despite the above, Nashville can see new office towers... but where? and by whom? That's where the critical mass must be built. While Nashville is building a decent start to that critical mass, it must be dedicated from all corners... government (recruiting, favorable laws), corporations (choosing to locate in the core), academic and entrepreneurial (where to plant their new startups), as well as developers/finanicial (showing imagination and selling the idea to potential users... even those currently in suburbs).

Archived