Charlotte Pike Redevelopment News

ariesjow

I've heard very little mention of the exciting changes coming to Charlotte Pike between 440 and White Bridge. With great bones, very little retail in Sylvan Park and the continued resurgence of Historic West Town/The Nations, I genuinely believe Charlotte Pike and environs are poised for a resurgence soon. A local urbanite has set up a blog to track some of the positive changes. Here are some of the ones under the radar:

- Construction continues on the new M.L. Rose location opening in a few months in the old Lavender Motors on Charlotte.

- Nuvo Burrito is planning to open up another location in the Krystal that was recently vacated across from Bobbie's Dairy Dip.

- A new coffee shop is opening soon called Headquarters in the sliver of a storefront that used to contain BOA across from Richland Park.

It would be great to see the lot of the demolished historic church redeveloped at the corner of 46th and Charlotte. This corner could be a crucial one to the development of the area. I believe a small mixed-use project with retail and residential similar to 12th and Paris would be great for this site.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard very little mention of the exciting changes coming to Charlotte Pike between 440 and White Bridge. With great bones, very little retail in Sylvan Park and the continued resurgence of Historic West Town/The Nations, I genuinely believe Charlotte Pike and environs are poised for a resurgence soon. A local urbanite has set up a blog to track some of the positive changes. Here are some of the ones under the radar:

- Construction continues on the new M.L. Rose location opening in a few months in the old Lavender Motors on Charlotte.

- Nuvo Burrito is planning to open up another location in the Krystal that was recently vacated across from Bobbie's Dairy Dip.

- A new coffee shop is opening soon called Headquarters in the sliver of a storefront that used to contain BOA across from Richland Park.

It would be great to see the lot of the demolished historic church redeveloped at the corner of 46th and Charlotte. This corner could be a crucial one to the development of the area. I believe a small mixed-use project with retail and residential similar to 12th and Paris would be great for this site.

AJow,

I did not know about Headquarters. Cool. Thanks for sharing.

WW

AriesJow - thanks for giving my blog some pub, and thanks for reading! Some exciting things are happening for Charlotte - it's nice to see it finally getting some much deserved attention. On the NUVO Burrito thing, I am not 100% on that, but judging from the post on their FB page, it seems like it's going to happen. I had an anonymous tip on that one. I did some digging on the property records, and the Krystal site sold for half a million back in June to a gentelman that I believe owns the car wash on White Bridge Rd - not sure what the relationship is with Nuvo there, but we will wait and see.

I've heard from the folks starting Headquarters that there are a few other neat things about to happen on Charlotte. There have been rumors of a bakery opening up (maybe in the old Church's Chicken) and HQ says that there is some truth to that. They've also mentioned that someone is planning to open an art house/theater somewhere on Charlotte. I hope to have more news on this soon.

As for the notorious Charlotte Ave Church or Christ property (WW - you wrote extensively on the drama that unfolded with this property) I am hoping that all of this recent progress is going to attract the right developer to that site. I would love for a small mixed use project to happen there.

Again, thanks for sharing the blog, and if anyone here hears of any developments along Charlotte, please share it with me, so I can share it with my readers.

Cheers

cv

nashveit, I love your blog! I'm always excited when a new post shows up in my google reader account. Charlotte pike is the best road in the entire city. Here is a list of reasons why, starting from downtown:

-City Hall/Court House

-Music City Central

-That cool church, St. Mary of the Seven Sorrows

-The STATE CAPITOL

-Legislative Plaza

-TN tower

-TSU Avon Williams Campus

-"Believe in Nashville" Mural

-eleven north

-J. Henry Hale Apartments

-Music City Bikeway!

-Farm in the City

-The Youth Opportunity Center (renovated O'Bryan Manufacturing Company factory building

-Excellent Nonprofits- Bethlehem Centers, Oasis Center, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Stars, Alive Hospice

-Healthcare Providers and related businesses- too many to mention

-TN Dept of Highways and Public Works building and garages at 22nd and Charlotte (recently sold)

-28th-31st connector, Nashville's first Cycletrack

-gobs of vacant parcels to develop (any news on the onecity development recently?)

-the wave painted on the side of the storage facility at 28th and charlotte

-lots of cool old overlooked commercial and industrial buildings

-lined by diverse, walkable neighborhoods that people can actually afford to live in

-decent bus service

-Darkhorse Theatre

-All of the cool little stores across from Richland Park

-Richland Park!

-West Nashville Farmers Market

-I personally like the Regions Bank gold dome

-Bobbys Dairy Dip

-Wendell Smiths ;)

-New West Precinct

-K&S World Market

Due to the high concentration of civic buildings, Charlotte pike, to me, is Nashville's "Main Street" on the west side. All the more reason why it is a better choice for transit enhancements. There is a lot of talk about transit's ability to spur redevelopment along a corridor and increase the tax base. Unfortunately, in Nashville, we are dead set on putting transit enhancements along a corridor that is mostly built out already, rather than strategically investing in areas with good bones and room for expansion.

The portland streetcar, for example, essentially created the pearl district, which was mostly vacant or underperforming industrial buildings before the addition of transit. The planners in PDX didn't just plop down an east-west train along burnside because that street was prominent. Anyway, thanks Nashveit for giving charlotte the attention it deserves. I'm sure we'll see a lot of forward thinking things happen there in the near future.

I too enjoy your blog nashveit. Very informative for sure. I too think this street has not seen its full potential and has a lot to offer for the future. I have had discussions with William and we have debated if the area between 440 and 46th will ever take off due the some of the area that surrounds it.

I would love to see this area enhanced and soon, but is the area in question going to take off in the next 5 or 10 years?

I think the OneCity development and the Lentz clinic will help drive some more development in the area, but can it push past 440. I really hope so and soon.So much potential here.

So is the 31st/28th connector near completion? I wasn't aware that it was even started. Based on some of your comments it sounds like it is. I did a quick google maps search, but who knows how old the image is.

I'm curious to see how it turns out, especially the cycle track. I'm not so sure I like the idea of a cycle track, but something is better than nothing I guess.

AriesJow - thanks for giving my blog some pub, and thanks for reading! Some exciting things are happening for Charlotte - it's nice to see it finally getting some much deserved attention. On the NUVO Burrito thing, I am not 100% on that, but judging from the post on their FB page, it seems like it's going to happen. I had an anonymous tip on that one. I did some digging on the property records, and the Krystal site sold for half a million back in June to a gentelman that I believe owns the car wash on White Bridge Rd - not sure what the relationship is with Nuvo there, but we will wait and see.

I've heard from the folks starting Headquarters that there are a few other neat things about to happen on Charlotte. There have been rumors of a bakery opening up (maybe in the old Church's Chicken) and HQ says that there is some truth to that. They've also mentioned that someone is planning to open an art house/theater somewhere on Charlotte. I hope to have more news on this soon.

As for the notorious Charlotte Ave Church or Christ property (WW - you wrote extensively on the drama that unfolded with this property) I am hoping that all of this recent progress is going to attract the right developer to that site. I would love for a small mixed use project to happen there.

Again, thanks for sharing the blog, and if anyone here hears of any developments along Charlotte, please share it with me, so I can share it with my readers.

Cheers

cv

Thank you for starting your blog! I was actually at Nuvo Burrito last week and asked the lady and gentleman working there about the rumored West Nashville location. They didn't confirm,but said they were excited there was already some buzz. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

So is the 31st/28th connector near completion? I wasn't aware that it was even started. Based on some of your comments it sounds like it is. I did a quick google maps search, but who knows how old the image is.

Public Works is saying it will be complete by the end of this month. http://www.nashville.gov/pw/projects/28th_31st_AvenueConnectorProject.asp

Check out the time lapse camera: http://oxblue.com/open/hcreit/onec1ty

Can't wait to see what happens over the next few years to this areas. Sounds like the area has a lot good vibe and people who are smart, friendly, and ready to positively improve this area of town.

Thanks for the OxBlue construction camera link. So what's the status on the OneC1ty deal? I am assuming if they have a construction cam then it is a done deal or what? Thanks for any clarification if anyone can provide any.

Yes, thanks for the link to the construction camera. It looks great! I'm so glad the city is starting to take steps to rebuild those historic neighborhood connections that were, for one reason or another, dismantled over the years. Would the One City complex go in the empty space visible in the construction camera?

One City will be sited to the west of the new connector. Latest news on the project was that they were close to finalizing deals with two unnamed anchor tenants. The vacant lots on the east side of the connector are owned by Lionstone group I believe and maybe HCA. No news on what they're planning, but they've been pushing dirt around...

I have the same feelings about the east west connector. I think it makes much more sense to do it along Charlotte. My biggest concern with BRT on west end is the siting of the park and rides (Elmington area and white bridge area). Where on earth will you put them? Not to mention those areas are already choked with traffic. With BRT on Charlotte you could go further west, be closer to I40 and have more land available for park and rides.

Cool! The owners of Nuvo Burrito had been looking to expand to a second location. They had been in talks to lease the buiding on 5th Ave South in Sobro where the Italian deli had been located, but that must have fallen through. I'm actually more excited for them to be opening off of Charlotte. Not only is the community vibe over there more similar to that in 5 Points, but they do a great job at renovating their space. It will be exciting to see what they can do with this one.

The downtown nuvo burrito (@4th and peabody) is opening today. My sister and I rode by the old krystal yesterday- there is a BIG nuvo burrito sign where once was advertised krystal. Also they have started painting the exterior. Those guys are busy!

Actually delayed a day due to needed electrical upgrades.

Hey all,

One thing that we haven't discussed in this thread yet is how the midtown rezoning will affect Charlotte Avenue. The rezoning district encompasses Charlotte from I-40 to 28th Avenue. The new zoning will be Mixed Use Intensive closer to downtown and Mixed Use General starting around 18th Avenue S as you travel west. There are a few exceptions- the wonderful TDOT building that recently sold is excluded from the rezoning plan because it is eligible for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places. Also, a section bounded by 24th Ave N to the east and 27th Ave N to the west and the railroads to the north and south will be rezoned Mixed Use Intensive. In general it looks like we will see smaller setbacks and taller streetwalls than would be allowed under the existing zoning, which is a hodgepodge of CF, CS, ORI, and others.

Here is Metro's map: http://www.nashville.gov/mpc/docs/subarea10/ZoneChange2012/MidtownRezoning_120618.pdf

I have a feeling that the area between Charlotte and Church that is slated for MUI is going to be a very desirable location for developers. Lots of cheap vacant lots, good access to transit, vibrant nightlife along church, close to employment and universities, etc...

I worked in 'that wonderful TDOT building' for several years, and it was anything but wonderful from the inside. I know it has a bit of Frank Loyd Wright 'Prarie Style' architectural look to it, but that attraction stopped at the front door. There were two levels of windows on each floor along the exterior walls with one level too low to see out of and one level too high. So basically you stared at the blank wall when you entered the room. The hallways were huge and a waste of space and the room layouts were awkward and inefficient. The walls were either concrete or hard plaster over steel and not moveable. Plus, there may be plenty of asbestos scattered throughout the structure.

I cannot imagine any purpose it would serve from either an office, retail or residential standpoint. Possibly, it might make a neat home for an architectural or some kind of advertising or design firm. But basically I doubt anyone would want this building, just the dirt under it.

From Google Maps;

TDOT1_zps2338650b.jpg

TDOT2_zpsef79070e.jpg

I worked in 'that wonderful TDOT building' for several years, and it was anything but wonderful from the inside. I know it has a bit of Frank Loyd Wright 'Prarie Style' architectural look to it, but that attraction stopped at the front door. There were two levels of windows on each floor along the exterior walls with one level too low to see out of and one level too high. So basically you stared at the blank wall when you entered the room. The hallways were huge and a waste of space and the room layouts were awkward and inefficient. The walls were either concrete or hard plaster over steel and not moveable. Plus, there may be plenty of asbestos scattered throughout the structure.

I cannot imagine any purpose it would from either an office, retail or residential. Possibly, it might make a neat home for an architectural or some kind of advertising or design firm. But basically I doubt anyone would want this building, just the dirt under it.

From Google Maps;

TDOT1_zps2338650b.jpg

TDOT2_zpsef79070e.jpg

I wanna know how I can get my hands or someone get theirs hands on that old Thunderbolt siren. Fix that up and the one atop the Hotel Indigo on Union and those 2 alone would blast downtown up for tests and warnings because they are LOUD!

Archived