GRAM

SupercityGR

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walking down Monroe Center the gram doesnt offer any retail. They should move the gift shop and put in a real retail spot there. Get some foot traffic down monroe center again.

I believe that those decisions are made by the DDA. They will tell the Planning Commission what can and can't be located on Monroe Center.

Walking down Monroe Center the gram doesnt offer any retail. They should move the gift shop and put in a real retail spot there. Get some foot traffic down monroe center again.

maybe they could put an entrance to the street from the gift shop. it seems like it should be relatively easy since the gift shop has a lot of frontage.

Sure does need an entrance on Monroe Center.

gram1.jpg

Yaknow what would be awesomely awesome? If they added a cafe overlooking RPC and the ice rink, and some attractive sidewalk pavers...

img462.jpg

Yep, no retail presence here.

img461.jpg

Seriously, while taking these shots, a bench sitter and I exchanged ideas about the big square glass wall. She suggested taking a photo of "the red thing" and adding that to the translucency.

One thing about high-falutin' arky-techts: it sometimes seems as though they have never entered a building from the street, looked for a certain entrance, parked a bike, or walked between installations/facilities. (Love the rolling plastic sign.)

img463.jpg

ETA: night view.

IMG474.jpg

• 2 months later...

^Bump

Willya look at this.

Used to be, someone on UP would get a good idea, add a post about it...and within a few days/week that concept would be adopted by the powers that be.

SupercityGR, it only took two months and a week. They might have started thinking about this on Sept. 5.

And I was not kidding about giving you some credit (holding the scissors).

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

So this is pretty interesting - it looks like WOODTV will be moving a studio set-up permanently to this space. I'm not really clear on all the details but it will be a fully functioning studio as well as a part of the curated GRAM experience, including a tool for learning. So that is all very interesting and great and it sounds like they really want to bring a sense of energy to the core and keep the momentum going...so here's where it gets...interesting...

They are going to (at least attempt to) install a digital ticker sign across the front of the studio space facing the circle. It sounds like it will run anything from top news stories to events information to emergency alerts - just no advertisements. 

Like I said I don't really have any clear understanding of it but if it is done well I guess it really has some potential to bring another layer downtown. 

"stay tuned." hehe. 

Archived