Orlando Skyhouse Apartments

prahaboheme

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Running down Palmetto toward Livingston this morning, I had to hurdle over newly installed silt screens around the perimeter of the Skyhouse site.

Floor count wise, how does this compare to its closest tall neighbors, the Vue and the OCC?

The VUE is 35 stories and 426 feet in height, the courthouse is 416 feet. Skyhouse I would estimate the 23 stories to be close to 300 feet (it does not state the height, but the FAA says it cannot exceed 347 feet). I should be able to see over the top of it.

Here is the information that was provided to City Planning http://www.cityoforl...L2012-00007.pdf

Is it just me, or does this feel like a huge deal? I run that stretch often, and from South Street to the Vue, it feels quite dense. Head north from the Vue, however, and it feels like Rosalind turns into a speedway. Very little density. This has the potential to extend that feeling of pedestrian-friendly vibe all the way to the courthouse now. An influx of new residents should also be good for businesses, too. With the Vue, Aspire, the old hotel turned condo (who's name I can't recall), this little corner of downtown should be hopping.

Is it just me, or does this feel like a huge deal? I run that stretch often, and from South Street to the Vue, it feels quite dense. Head north from the Vue, however, and it feels like Rosalind turns into a speedway. Very little density. This has the potential to extend that feeling of pedestrian-friendly vibe all the way to the courthouse now. An influx of new residents should also be good for businesses, too. With the Vue, Aspire, the old hotel turned condo (who's name I can't recall), this little corner of downtown should be hopping.

I experience the same sensation when running this stretch. It's all psychological, as it's not that large area but feels so removed. The last time I purposely ran this area imagining SkyHouse with its ground floor restaurants and retail- definitely transformative. Hopefully it will add more pedestrians toward the VUE and surrounding (abandoned) retail space. If only the Econo Lodge will be razed.

I think this will definitely add to another little cluster of density downtown. The density gives us some forced perspective that makes downtown look larger and the buildings taller than they really are. I wish I were more hopeful about retail, but until there is some sort of coordination either by the city or outsourcing it to a private concern that actually has retail expertise, I think we'll continue to see the same clump of less-than-successful restaurants and bars. Please let me be wrong.

I have to disagree about the TraveLodge. It's definitely way past due for a makeover, but the right sort of boutique redo (for example, this: http://www.floridassl.com/clearwater-beach/frenchys-oasis-motel ), could make it a quirky little spot in the midst of a sea of Baker Barrios and other mediocre towers. A neon Sleepy Bear would help!

I think this will definitely add to another little cluster of density downtown. The density gives us some forced perspective that makes downtown look larger and the buildings taller than they really are. I wish I were more hopeful about retail, but until there is some sort of coordination either by the city or outsourcing it to a private concern that actually has retail expertise, I think we'll continue to see the same clump of less-than-successful restaurants and bars. Please let me be wrong.

I have to disagree about the TraveLodge. It's definitely way past due for a makeover, but the right sort of boutique redo (for example, this: http://www.floridass...hys-oasis-motel ), could make it a quirky little spot in the midst of a sea of Baker Barrios and other mediocre towers. A neon Sleepy Bear would help!

Fair enough. I just can't help but look past the blight it currently is and the traffic (patrons) in and out of it. Perhaps something fun and ambitious like one of my favorite redevelopments: http://www.farmersdaughterhotel.com/ Adding a fun public space would help.

It pains me that the view of the construction of this tower will be almost totally obstructed by the Regions building from where my balcony is in 55 West. It will make little or no difference to the skyline from my view. Sadface

Now there's a first-world problem if I've ever heard one! (Kidding!)

Here is a nice aerial of the SkyHouse plot: http://www.flickr.co...ent/2188585840/

While this project will not have significant height, it certainly will bring much needed density to this stretch of downtown.

Great perspective. Ran by yesterday...the site clearing is pretty extensive, which suggests to me that they're pretty serious about going vertical.

...if it actually get built....i am skeptical until i actually see the building actually being built

I'm more confident with this one since Novarre is at the helm. SkyHouse is a near replica of their Atlanta development, which are both similar in scope to Novarre's Tampa projects, Skypoint and Element.

...if it actually get built....i am skeptical until i actually see the building actually being built

Well for 2 days they have made amazing progress. They have cut down the forest of trees, fenced in the perimeter of the site and removed and palleted all the bricks from Palmetto St and also have started moving ground.

Compared to the Atlanta version, the Orlando SkyHouse has a great, functional crown. It's nice to see something other than a visor atop a tower.

When they build the Gainesville version, it will have an orange and blue visor that falls two stories when the Gators lose in honor of the glory days of Steve Spurrier. :shok:

Actually, great point. It does look good up there.

I'm more confident with this one since Novarre is at the helm. SkyHouse is a near replica of their Atlanta development, which are both similar in scope to Novarre's Tampa projects, Skypoint and Element.

I'm with praha on this one. Someone with a track record at last unlike, um, the World Trade Center...

Anyone know what they are doing with the bricks from the street? I'd love to see them used in the building, a brick wall in the retail would be nice.

With this going in I wonder how long till the empty lot across Magnolia/Robinson will sit empty. I agree that Novarre seems to actually get things done. One of the things they seem to do is build close to their other buildings, like what they did in Tampa. I wouldn't be surprised if they purchase this lot or try to, originally Element was supposed to go in the parking lot beside Skypoint but the seller didn't want to lower their price (good for me at the time as that was were I parked for work), Novarre seems to not like to haggle or pay more than what they think a lot is for. I'd love to see a sister tower to SkyHouse on that lot but I got to wonder why it hasn't ever really gained any interest. Imagine what a second tower there would do to this stretch of road and corner of town.

While SkyHouse isn't that tall it will dramatically change the feel of that area and will bring some street level interest and reasons to walk that far north. The key is the retail to be open late. Looks to be three main retail shells. I'd love to see a convenient store/drug store (I suspect within the next few years we'll see Walgreens enter downtown), a 24hr diner (perfect across from the courthouse, near a church, and with lots of residents around), and a dry cleaners (I can't recall if there is one in the courthouse complex but if not there needs to be one nearby).

Archived