Orlando Skyhouse Apartments

prahaboheme

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The New Yorker in me hates to see all that wasted FAR. Building to the street with high vertical street walls is the hallmark of a robust downtown, but I guess it's not so bad to let all that Florida sunshine pour in from the heavens.

The New Yorker in me hates to see all that wasted FAR. Building to the street with high vertical street walls is the hallmark of a robust downtown, but I guess it's not so bad to let all that Florida sunshine pour in from the heavens.

From the renderings, I hope the parking deck with ground floor restaurant & retail will help to create that urban streetscape "wall" we so desire, with a bit of greenery to cut the sterility.

The tower will meet the streetwall at Magnolia and Livingston, and the garage will wrap around N Rosalind.

I agree that it is not ideal -- especially the garage, which could have been incorporated into the actual tower better.  Luckily, our version of SkyHouse appears to be much more pedestrian friendly than the Atlanta development.

The tower will meet the streetwall at Magnolia and Livingston, and the garage will wrap around N Rosalind.

I agree that it is not ideal -- especially the garage, which could have been incorporated into the actual tower better.  Luckily, our version of SkyHouse appears to be much more pedestrian friendly than the Atlanta development.

More pedestrian friendly? How so?

It looks like Charlotte is getting a Skyhouse, too, as well as Raleigh; Houston and Austin.  

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/01/novare-grubb-planning-uptown.html

And they've just broken ground on our second one, this time on 6th Street in the heart of Midtown. It's still unnamed as of now, but there was huge pushback on the parking garage design. Novare has consented to wrap it in retail. This is becoming a very cooky-cutter formula repeated in city after city - they all look pretty identical.

This is a much higher quality project going up a couple of blocks away that we are all pretty excited about, part of the excellent 12th & Midtown complex. Novare needs to take a lesson here...

http://7712th.com/

In Raleigh there were a few 100+ year old buildings in the way of the proposed Skyhouse apts.  They originally planned on working around them.  It was really strange since one building was just a 100+ yr old facade.  Last month one of the buildings had mysterious foundation problems and started sinking.  There was supposedly too much damage to repair the old building so this weekend they demoed the rest of the structure.  They said they'll be ready to break ground later this year on the apartments.

Flipping through webcam shots, it seems like they're putting about 2 stories on each week - if they continue upward progress at this rate, the project should top off in less than 2 months!  The building is also now visible over the Florida Bank of Commerce building from my window on the 10th floor of The Plaza.

In Raleigh there were a few 100+ year old buildings in the way of the proposed Skyhouse apts.  They originally planned on working around them.  It was really strange since one building was just a 100+ yr old facade.  Last month one of the buildings had mysterious foundation problems and started sinking.  There was supposedly too much damage to repair the old building so this weekend they demoed the rest of the structure.  They said they'll be ready to break ground later this year on the apartments.

Sounds like the Jaymont Block *sigh*

Hey!  Didn't FLheat have a better view from the Vue?

Here is a photo from today.  This project is really moving along quickly, but I don't understand how the city allows them to operate 24 hours a day.  I have been woken up at 1:30am on a weekend with the sound of heavy equipment.

If my count is right, they are starting the 9th story today after finishing a pour last night.

I remember the original Jaymont Block proposal to incorporate the existing facades. I wish I could locate a rendering.

I don't think they ever produced a rendering depicting that.

I posted a pic of the model of the highrise that never got built there (because of that very issue) but I never saw a rendering of it at all. AFAIK, they never had any intention of doing that.

Archived