So what's next...

ah59396

^I agree it's a ploy and I agree that it's for an increased incentive.   They just did a report about the CIAA being about 500K in the hole.  

They do note though that ticket sales have been on the decline for the last three years - which I think has more to do with the economy than Charlotte; however, it is possible that the new Commissioner may feel the need to take the games to other cities to test the waters for attendance.  If that is the case though I think it's likely to go to Richmond, VA over another North Carolina city.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^That's the thing though... the CIAA tournament is so much more about the nightlife and parties than it is about the games themselves. I'm not sure how moving it to a different city is going to solve those $ problems. You have all these African-American celebs that come into town for the parties, you rarely see them at the games themselves. I agree with AH. It's all about them trying to milk some incentives. Perhaps they are looking for Charlotte to make up the difference between what the tournament costs to run and what they are losing. The city council is basically a revolving door when it comes to handing out incentives anyways, so they are probably trying to tap into that. 

CIAA is as much of a basketball event as Oktoberfest is.  Wend28 is dead on.  It's all about the parites, concerts and alumni events.  No one cares about D-2 basketball...seriously.  

Moving this tournament to anywhere other than Atlanta would be an awful decision for the CIAA.  It has built a lot of momentum over the years it has been here and really evolved into a major event for the southeastern african-american community.  A couple years ago, it was a big deal to have a mid level DJ show up for the CIAA.  Now you've got Drake, Chris Brown and T.I., (to name a few) all here over the weekend.

I just can't see that same grouping of celebrities packed in G'boro, Raleigh, or Richmond for that matter.  They planning on staying at the Marriott, or the Hoiday Inn???

D.C. or Atlanta make sense.  But honestly they become a second fiddle event in those cities.  Here the CIAA get's treated the way it wants, an "extraordinary event".

Was really thinking of the $50 million or whatever number the Observer stated that is spent in CLT during the tournament, not the importance of it, basketball etc.  And yes, the number probably wildly inaccurate, but any number in the millions good.

Charlotte has become the best big event town in the Southeast. Atlanta does have more to offer but it is all (including downtown) quite diffuse. Raleigh lacks strong entertainment venues and hotels downtown. I believe (but not sure) that Richmond also lacks an appealing downtown arena. DC is VERY expersive. Nashville may be the most similar to CLT but I suspect it is too peripheral for the CIAA.

I don't want to be cavelier, but if the CIAA leaves, I am sure they will be back. I am equally sure we could land a solid replacement event for the week. This is just not worth worrying about (or paying more incentives for).

^^^ I agree with a lot of what Kermit says in regards to Charlotte in general and its growing reputation as an "event" place which is quite amazing considering just under 20 years ago - Charlotte had to build a "fake" downtown for the NCAA Final Four!

I do agree with all that the CIAA would be foolish to make the leap to another city, but I think when you're in a steep debt hole sometimes you gamble and I can see (for that reason alone) them taking the shot.   I suggest Richmond btw because it hosts a CIAA member and is the closest city in the CIAA geographic area to be the middle of all the campuses (and thereby hoping people will come),

Anyway - NOT making an argument for it to move out of Charlotte - just thinking out loud about the rationale of why it could.

Interesting follow-up article in today's Observer where the CIAA Commissioner seems to be back-tracking a bit in her earlier comments.  She is stating that what she meant to state was the need for a larger block of rooms guaranteed to be held for CIAA attendees in future tournaments.   Of course the problem is so easily handled though because the CIAA would have to fill those rooms (and I'm not so certain all the fans would want to pay Center City hotel prices)  and she is also seeking to adjust that hotel  rate for CIAA attendees. 

The city seems ready/eager to play as far as the hotel room block guarantees but seems cautious about what they can do as far as the rate.  My guess in their hesitation is that they are certainly willing to get a lower rate, but how low the commissioner wants it is up for question and I don't think they are willing to do a fire sale on rooms simply to keep the games here.

On an interesting note - the article said that the tournament last year brought in 2.7m of the entire CIAA 5.7m in revenues for the last year so truly this location is delivering.  

Archived