jthrasher

3 new apartment buildings proposed downtown

73 posts in this topic

This is huge!

That lot next to Purple East was in desperate need of some love. The lot facing Division hasnt had a building on it since the last one burned down 20 years ago.

The third building is finally filling in that awkward lot accross from Mel Trotter.

Overall this is an amazing series of projects that will bridge the projects south of Wealthy on Ionia to the rest of the Arena district.

So that lot "214" along Commerce is not part of it?

There is no way they could fit a building on lot "26" alone. It's not even 2 cars width

Sure they can. There's plenty other buildings in the area just as narrow if not narrower. The rendering in the linked article also shows that lot used for a narrow building. I can easily picture it making use of the alley as a pedestrian corridor to several doorways along the building with stairs bringing people to units on both sides, like many suburban apartment buildings or the GVSU student housing along Fulton.

http://www.dwellingplacegr.org/grand-rapids-press-10m-plan-aims-renovate-herkimer

"A new atrium that will serve as a public space for residents will span the now vacant lot between the Herkimer and another Dwelling Place-owned retail and apartment building.

Parking will be integrated into the newer portion of the building, utilizing the site's natural grade to provide space on what will look like the new building's second floor. Market rate office space is expected to occupy the ground floor of the new building along Commerce.

Some student housing also might be integrated into the project.

A planned outdoor courtyard in a portion of what now is an alley will give residents a place to relax outdoors without needing to hang out on the street."

(How about merging this thread with the New construction in Heartside one?)

Edited by Veloise

26 Cherry is wider then the 38 Commerce apartments so I don't think the lot is too narrow.

3826m.jpg

It's totally wide enough. Serrano Lofts at the other end of the parcel is the same width.

8000133535_4c23678b01_z.jpg

Does any one know the status of these 3 buildings? Have they began construction or are they going to be delayed? Some friends of mine asked me on the status of these projects, so I'm just kinda wondering. Sorry for the random bump!

Does any one know the status of these 3 buildings? Have they began construction or are they going to be delayed? Some friends of mine asked me on the status of these projects, so I'm just kinda wondering. Sorry for the random bump!

They've started:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151130546408244.440388.13616718243&type=1

Great! Thank you for the update. Judging by the renderings, seems like it is going to be a very attractive project. Hopefully a fast completion time. Seems like downtown went from hardly any new apartments being build/ redeveloped to having a big splash of new projects. Very exciting!

Fancy fences in that construction zone!

Joe

I'm not sure how the fence came to be like that. It is a nice touch, and probably does signify that they're going to be there for a while. I'm guessing 18 months of construction, probably.

I'm inquiring about getting renderings for the 240 Ionia project. Fingers crossed.

Boy, this guy is bullish on Grand Rapids "low income" and "work force" housing.  Looks pretty nice from what I can tell by the small rendering.

He's not only bullish,  he gets stuff done.   This is great!

1 person likes this

Developer Karl Chew said he hopes to begin breaking ground this spring on a $15 million, 7-story mixed-used apartment building in the city’s Heartside neighborhood.

The picture does not look 7 stories. But yea, infill is always nice

The picture does not look 7 stories. But yea, infill is always nice

The article isn't clear, but I THINK that the 2 1/2 story parking ramp will be underground, and that's being counted into the 7 stories.  This is exciting, I think it'll look great on Ionia.

Anyone have a better rendering? This one is small and the color seems out of whack. It looks interesting, would like to get a better visual.

Joe

Anyone have a better rendering? This one is small and the color seems out of whack. It looks interesting, would like to get a better visual.

Joe

Apparently Karl Chew is very particular about releasing his drawings, and was even hesitant to have the Press take a picture of it at the Brownfield meeting. Everything but the rendering was in the Brownfield agenda packet.