3 new apartment buildings proposed downtown

jthrasher

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is huge!

That lot next to Purple East was in desperate need of some love. The lot facing Division hasnt had a building on it since the last one burned down 20 years ago.

The third building is finally filling in that awkward lot accross from Mel Trotter.

Overall this is an amazing series of projects that will bridge the projects south of Wealthy on Ionia to the rest of the Arena district.

Sure they can. There's plenty other buildings in the area just as narrow if not narrower. The rendering in the linked article also shows that lot used for a narrow building. I can easily picture it making use of the alley as a pedestrian corridor to several doorways along the building with stairs bringing people to units on both sides, like many suburban apartment buildings or the GVSU student housing along Fulton.

http://www.dwellingplacegr.org/grand-rapids-press-10m-plan-aims-renovate-herkimer

"A new atrium that will serve as a public space for residents will span the now vacant lot between the Herkimer and another Dwelling Place-owned retail and apartment building.

Parking will be integrated into the newer portion of the building, utilizing the site's natural grade to provide space on what will look like the new building's second floor. Market rate office space is expected to occupy the ground floor of the new building along Commerce.

Some student housing also might be integrated into the project.

A planned outdoor courtyard in a portion of what now is an alley will give residents a place to relax outdoors without needing to hang out on the street."

(How about merging this thread with the New construction in Heartside one?)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does any one know the status of these 3 buildings? Have they began construction or are they going to be delayed? Some friends of mine asked me on the status of these projects, so I'm just kinda wondering. Sorry for the random bump!

They've started:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151130546408244.440388.13616718243&type=1

Fancy fences in that construction zone!

Joe

I'm not sure how the fence came to be like that. It is a nice touch, and probably does signify that they're going to be there for a while. I'm guessing 18 months of construction, probably.

I'm inquiring about getting renderings for the 240 Ionia project. Fingers crossed.

• 2 months later...

Anyone have a better rendering? This one is small and the color seems out of whack. It looks interesting, would like to get a better visual.

Joe

Apparently Karl Chew is very particular about releasing his drawings, and was even hesitant to have the Press take a picture of it at the Brownfield meeting. Everything but the rendering was in the Brownfield agenda packet.

Archived