3 new apartment buildings proposed downtown

jthrasher

Really? Any reason why? Is he worried we'll complain about the materials used on the exterior? :)

Joe

Apparently Karl Chew is very particular about releasing his drawings, and was even hesitant to have the Press take a picture of it at the Brownfield meeting. Everything but the rendering was in the Brownfield agenda packet.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm hearing more complaints about finding apartments downtown.  It's a pity, we would all love to see higher density there.  I get the impression what's under construction isn't close to being enough.

Hopefully developers see the need, and then decide to build

I'm hearing more complaints about finding apartments downtown.  It's a pity, we would all love to see higher density there.  I get the impression what's under construction isn't close to being enough.

I'm hearing that's happening all over the place, not just downtown. My question is, what residential developers are left? Dwelling Place and Brookstone have projects going up, Rockford's about to kick off Morton House, 616 is going heavy, I think Locus Development is workly pretty heavily with Founders Brewing Co's expansions, ICCF is concentrating on Wealthy & Division, CWD appears to be focusing on commercial, Grooters is putting all of his energy back into industrial space, Third Coast has a medical project on Michigan going up, and LINC is doing a ton in Southtown/Baxter.

Jack Buchanan and the Moch's....

Two regional players have come in to do Baker Lofts and the riverfront property on Front St.

Who's left?

BTW, they're going vertical at Cherry and Division already. Steel.

• 1 month later...

12234053large.jpg Brookstone.jpg?1367600973

Looks like they are starting to bunker-ize this. It went from large windows and big decks to more blank and tiny windows, with a complete facade change.

I still dont get why this type of thing is allowed. When the city approves A you cant just then run and strip it down and then build B. I suppose they bought off any city opposition by dangling the magic P world in front of them.

I'm going to predict that the ground floor will magically disappear too very soon.

That is really disappointing.

I don't think they can do much to the ground floor as there has to be X amount of transparency on the ground floor. Is that right, or am I just making things up? :)

Joe

Yes, I think it's at least 60%. But "transparency" can mean a lot of things, like the atrocious Saint Mary's parking ramp at Cherry and Jefferson with the big gaping holes in it.

This project was always slated to be an LIHTC/affordable housing project. Not sure what percentage will be low income.

In the pre-World War II areas of town, the city should implement the following along commercial corridors and downtown:

--Active uses: At least 60% of a building facing a public right of way shall contain active ground floor uses. Depending on the street classification, active ground floor uses could include retail, restaurant, office, or residential. On primary downtown streets, retail/restaurants are required. Parking and service areas do not count as active uses.

--Transparency: At least 40% of the ground floor facade, measured from floor to ceiling, shall contain clear-glass windows

--Design Review: Projects within the downtown and other key commercial corridors (Wealthy, East Hills, etc), projects shall receive design approval based on minimum design criteria: material, transparency, articulation, proportion, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It has been quite some time since I have been down to this area. It is great to see all the new activity going on. Does anyone have a time table regarding when they plan to occupy the building at the corner of Cherry and Division? 

• 3 weeks later...

It's hard to tell from the image above but the Cherry side cuts in at a decent angle. I like the way it looks (with only the steel). It opens up the intersection a bit, makes it feel like people will be looking into the intersection instead of just a view north. Still waiting to see what the facade looks like / materials. But I like the way it sits on the block.

Joe

Archived