Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

• 1 month later...

City finally covering the exposed sewer pipes in and near Cleveland Park. 

“The city of Greenville, beginning this week, will cover the massive pipes that stretch from the Rudolph Gordon memorial jet downstream along McDaniel Avenue and beyond.”

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2018/08/01/ugly-sewer-pipes-cleveland-park-soon-disappear-dirt/873106002/

1 hour ago, Jet-set said:

City finally covering the exposed sewer pipes in and near Cleveland Park. 

“The city of Greenville, beginning this week, will cover the massive pipes that stretch from the Rudolph Gordon memorial jet downstream along McDaniel Avenue and beyond.”

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2018/08/01/ugly-sewer-pipes-cleveland-park-soon-disappear-dirt/873106002/

It's Rudolph Anderson. That's a pretty significant editorial miss by the News. Gordon was the schools Superintendent, and to my knowledge, has no jets dedicated to his memory.

1 hour ago, Exile said:

It's Rudolph Anderson. That's a pretty significant editorial miss by the News. Gordon was the schools Superintendent, and to my knowledge, has no jets dedicated to his memory.

Yes indeed. (well, it’s Rudolf.) It’s rare that I don’t find at least one spelling, grammatical, or factual error in every GNews article I read. 

I would love to see someone work on getting an actual U2 to replace the current F-86 jet at the memorial since there are probably unused U2s somewhere. 

8 hours ago, Jet-set said:

Yes indeed. (well, it’s Rudolf.) It’s rare that I don’t find at least one spelling, grammatical, or factual error in every GNews article I read. 

I would love to see someone work on getting an actual U2 to replace the current F-86 jet at the memorial since there are probably unused U2s somewhere. 

Well, he flew both.

Also they did look at doing a U2...but its was determined to be too big. Those wings are looooonnnnnggggggg. They would have had to make the wings bridge the river to make it work.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, gman430 said:

Swamp Rabbit trail extension update which isn’t much of an update at all: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.greenvilleonline.com/amp/2340242002

Reading between the lines, I'd guess property prices are rising faster than the right of ways can be obtained.  Too bad they couldn't have secured all the arrangements starting in 2015, where any money exchanged would be a fraction of what it would be today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Finally! the club has held that project up long enough!

Interesting. Five holes are directly on the river, four of which cross it, and there's very little margin on the 291 (i.e., Pleasantburg Dr.) periphery of the golf course. Where will it go?

1 hour ago, dtowndreaming said:

Did you happen to overhear anything about the Laurens road extension?

Just that the easements have been complete and that the trail along with the $5 million flyover bridge (I assume the Laurens Road one) are moving forward. They did also say “between downtown and Conestee” so not sure if they were talking about both unfinished legs (country club/Pleasantburg and downtown/ICAR) or just the one from downtown to ICAR. 

I didn’t hear them say anything else about it including a construction timeline. This was a one on one conversation I just happened to hear before the meeting seeing how they were standing just a few feet from me. 

Edited by gman430

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone know what prompted this study? I’m pleased to see the project is moving forward and I think the study will be helpful but this extension has been planned for several years and it seems like this would have been done sooner. I’m wondering if it was requested by the property owners who need to grant easements or maybe just changes in the decision makers (city council etc.). 

• 2 weeks later...

Simpsonville: https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2019/05/08/swamp-rabbit-trail-could-coming-simpsonville-sc-downtown/1129712001/ Oh and: 

Before the trail can come to the Golden Strip an extension needs to be built that takes the trail from Cleveland Park near downtown Greenville to the Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research near Mauldin.

The timeline for that is still unclear, but it could be soon.

"We're very close to getting all the easements that we need," said Ty Houck, director of Greenways, Natural and Historic Resources for the Greenville County parks system.

That proposed approximately five-mile route parallels Laurens Road and includes about one and a half miles that require easements, while the rest is already controlled by Greenville County, Houck said.

“The county has had great conversations with all the property owners and to date we don’t expect anything to get in the way of the trail being built," he said.

The trail extension also involves building bridges to cross several major thoroughfares — Laurens Road, Haywood Road and Verdae Boulevard  as well as the retrofitting of an existing bridge over Woodruff Road, Houck said. The locations of those bridges will be dependent on the easement agreements the county reaches.

Edited by gman430