Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

"That'll keep the homeless buggers away!"

I noticed that someone placed a layer of rather large rocks on the loading dock area of that old building that is next to the Swamp Rabbit trail. I'm on that trail pretty much every weekend, and I've seen one person sleeping there in the shade. He wasn't bothering anyone, but I'm sure it makes some people uncomfortable.

I followed RT's link on page 5 but it came up link not found. I was wondering where I could find more info on the trails and where they are. Where would be the closest place if i'm in Simpsonville, to get on the trails and how far would it take me? I never really paid much attention to the trails thread but here lately I been really interested in them.

Map of and description of the City of Greenville's Trail System:

http://www.greatergreenville.com/bike%20trail.pdf

This file seems to have been moved/removed. You can find more information of the City of Greenville's Trail network here: http://www.greatergreenville.com/city_services/trails.asp

This trail will eventually tie in to Lake Conestee from T.R. This will be the backbone of the network and hopefully the network will branch out from there.

That's only if you consder only the paved portion to be the trail. The trail actually extends all the way to Travelers Rest; however, only the portion you've referenced has been paved as of yet. The rails are coming up on the rest of the trail. A crushed rock surface should follow and then pavement after that.

Just a reminder. The Swamp Rabbit Press conference will be tommorow.

"Greenville Forward wants to invite all of you to the press conference and celebration annoucing the Swamp Rabbit Tram Trail, 10am on Tuesday, June 26 on the trail in Travelers Rest. Beverages and refreshments will be served as we celebrate a significant trail milestone. RSVP to [email protected] or call 233-8443."

Just a reminder. The Swamp Rabbit Press conference will be tommorow.

"Greenville Forward wants to invite all of you to the press conference and celebration annoucing the Swamp Rabbit Tram Trail, 10am on Tuesday, June 26 on the trail in Travelers Rest. Beverages and refreshments will be served as we celebrate a significant trail milestone. RSVP to [email protected] or call 233-8443."

I plan on being there at least for the first 30 mins(I may need to be at a business lunch shortly after 11 on Woodruff Road). Anyone else going to be there?

Here are a couple of shots from today's Press conference. Two reasons for the press conference were an update on the status. They said the rails have been removed and the ties should be removed in about six weeks and the paving should take place over the next 18 months.

Also the Greenville Hospital will be giving 100,000 over 10 years ($1 million). This will go for signage, community awareness and other similiar initiatives. In fact it looks like GHS sort of has bought naming rights if I heard them correctly.

Edited by linkerjpatrick

Thanks for the photos, Patrick. There was a great turnout. I'm looking forward to the day when I no longer have to make a U-Turn when I hit Willard St. Bicycling all the way to TR will be a great way to spend an afternoon! :yahoo:

On a related note, Travelers Rest looks to be doing some great things for their bicentennial in 2008. They have extensive plans to revitalize the dowtown area.

Minneapolis has a great trail system, and people do use it to commute. The city keeps it cleared in the winter so folks can still ride their bikes. The trail runs through my sister's back yard. ^_^

Well that's convienient! :shades: I wonder if this will spur any development along its way? Seems like a great residential selling point. :dontknow:

My neighborhood is close enough to this trail that I'd love to see our HOA spend some money paving a trail from the middle of our neighborhood and tie it directly into the Swamp Rabbit trail.

Me too! Have you suggested this to the HOA?

Me too! Have you suggested this to the HOA?

I suggested it when I was on the Board of Directors and I was nearly laughed out of the room. :rolleyes: People don't want their HOA dues to go up to pay for useful things, but they're willing to pay a little more so that the management company can do more of nothing. :angry:

I suggested it when I was on the Board of Directors and I was nearly laughed out of the room. :rolleyes: People don't want their HOA dues to go up to pay for useful things, but they're willing to pay a little more so that the management company can do more of nothing. :angry:

I think that when the trail is complete, and people are walking/biking down the road to get to the trail - more residents will approach the HOA about doing this.

My neighborhood is close enough to this trail that I'd love to see our HOA spend some money paving a trail from the middle of our neighborhood and tie it directly into the Swamp Rabbit trail. That'd be a huge selling point for our neighborhood, I think.

RT, Does the neighborhood HOA already own the property where the proposed path would be? or are you talking about a path across other people's property?

RT, Does the neighborhood HOA already own the property where the proposed path would be? or are you talking about a path across other people's property?

The neighborhood owns and maintains a significant length of property in the flood plane along the Crag River. However, that's where it ends. The river does cut through two additional private properties, so I'm certain some negotiation would be involved to obtain a right-of-way for any trail. Knowing how such negotiations have gone in the past for our neighborhood, I suspect that our efforts to gain a right-of-way would not be successful. So thus likely ends my dream. At the very least, if the City of TR were to install proper sidewalks along Watson Road or Wilhem Winter Street, that'd make for good access to the Swamp Rabbit Trail for our residents.