Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

Excellent to see! I've been going by this portion of greenway under construction almost daily and can't wait for it to be open. Really excited about this! :yahoo:

I think this portion will see some heavy use.

Yep, this will be nice... and it should be open by this summer

I agree with you RT. The Roadzyme surface would not work for road bikes, skates, maybe even strollers. I think that the County realizes that it is not the best solution at this point. We need asphalt on the trail.

Yes - exactly. This was the whole draw to this trail (in my mind) to begin with anyway - a nice smooth surface for the strollers, roller blades, skates, and road bikes as well as the trail bikes and the Tram. Would seem even that the tram tires would have a difficult time of it on the Roadzyme-treated rock/clay surface.

I'm extremely excited about how fast the City is moving on this project! I might just have to buy myself a bike and use it... Is there a bike rental place anywhere along the trail or downtown? I can't think of any, but it'd be a great idea if there was.

Sunrift in Travelers Rest rents, among other things, bikes. It would be a great idea for someone to open a bike rental somewhere near (or in) RiverPlace, too, for those not so willing to ride the entire length of the trail from T.R. and back.

Edited by RestedTraveler

• 3 weeks later...

I can't wait to see the positive effects this will have on the surroundings. This area is begging for massive redevelopment. It's got great aspects that would make it desirable, including the Kroc Center/elementary school, this trail, proximity to the CBD, and some of the best dining and entertainment in the Upstate. I'm also looking forward to hearing more on the tram idea...

I can't wait to see the positive effects this will have on the surroundings. This area is begging for massive redevelopment. It's got great aspects that would make it desirable, including the Kroc Center/elementary school, this trail, proximity to the CBD, and some of the best dining and entertainment in the Upstate. I'm also looking forward to hearing more on the tram idea...

A total of $4.5 Million dollars over the next 5 years for trails and greenways is in the Capital Improvment budget that the City Council will vote on tonight. Come out and show your support if you can. More here:

http://bikegreenville.blogspot.com/2008/04...re-funding.html

Part of the newest greenway to the North from my morning jog / walk. The softer jogging surface is clearly showing up. Can't wait for this trail/greenway to be completely open to Furman. :thumbsup:

DSC04418.jpg

It certainly would be nice to see both of those surfaces continued all the way to Travelers Rest from downtown Greenville, but I don't think it will happen once the trail gets outside of the city limits.

• 3 weeks later...

Just checking in to see if there were any updates that y'all knew about. Jennifer & I went for a stroll on the TR to Furman section over the weekend. It is decent for Mountain Biking and walking with hiking boots, but still a bit rough for anything else. We were able to make it about a mile south of Furman before coming to one of the old bridges that makes for a difficult crossing with a bike.

Any updates would be greatly appreciated! They can't get this thing done fast enough for us!!

Best wishes

A total of $4.5 Million dollars over the next 5 years for trails and greenways is in the Capital Improvment budget that the City Council will vote on tonight. Come out and show your support if you can. More here:

http://bikegreenville.blogspot.com/2008/04...re-funding.html

The portion connect to Greenville Tech is coming along nicely via Cleveland St and Faris Rd. I was disappointed however that they're using asphalt for it. At the intersection, they have concrete, but then along the roads will be asphalt on the other site of a curb. I just assumed that since it's sort of acting like a wide sidewalk along these two streets that it would be concrete.

The portion connect to Greenville Tech is coming along nicely via Cleveland St and Faris Rd. I was disappointed however that they're using asphalt for it. At the intersection, they have concrete, but then along the roads will be asphalt on the other site of a curb. I just assumed that since it's sort of acting like a wide sidewalk along these two streets that it would be concrete.

IMHO, I kind of like the fact they made this portion out of asphalt, in keeping with the rest of the greenway system. It gives you a visual cue that this is a trail and not just any random sidewalk.

I'd rather run over asphalt than concrete any day, so I'm glad it's asphalt, too.

Yep, asphalt is softer than concrete and a lot better on the knees and ankles.

Asphalt is a lot cheaper too, so we can get more miles of trail for the money. I would rather see a big network of asphalt trails than just a few short concrete ones.

• 1 month later...

On Friday June 20th I decided to walk the trail from an access point near my house up to Leopard Forest Coffee in Travelers Rest which is about 4 -5 miles northeast of where I live.

I have a video posted on youtube and linked on my personal web site at;

http://www.linkerjpatrick.com/2008/06/june...ail-hike-to-tr/

This is also a photo of the tree planted in the middle of the trail I talked about earlier

2600994749_5b4a146c8b.jpg

Edited by linkerjpatrick

Has anyone been along the trail at Furman lately. A section along old roe ford road next to the Woodlands has had concrete and pavers placed and it seems to me like it may be a tram stop location.Anyone have any ideas?

Yes, There's glimpses of it in my video I posted the other day. Although I also posted photos of where they planted trees smack dab in the middle of the trail on each side of Duncan Chapel Road.

They are another almost identical concrete pad section on the other side of Furman at the Duncan Chapel Road entrance.

2601823624_aa9b6ca42f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like that it gives the different milage on the sign.

Isn't it McDaniel AVENUE, not Street? Unlike Augusta, which changes from Street to Road at some point, McDaniel is Avenue for its entire length is it not?

You are correct. I'll bring that to the city's attention.