Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

^Thanks.

I do like the signage. This is going to be such an asset. I wonder if a good mass of commuters will start using this? Ideally, they would.

This past Saturday morning there were far more people on the trail than I have ever seen before. I use the trail three times a week.

GHS and GCRD had a tent set up on Main Street during the USPRO Road Race yesterday and had information about the Swamp Rabbit trail and a scavenger hunt to lead people down to Linky Stone Park, too, where children were fitted for free bike helmets and then got to take a tour/ride on the finished portion of the trail, thanks to Sunrift Adventures! It was pretty awesome for the kids and there were a lot of people on the trail yesterday.

2815852776_5ec82753cb.jpg

2817094673_4c03fe8ee2.jpg

I was told that the portion of the trail between Travelers Rest and Furman will be paved before the end of the year while work is still being done on trusses between Furman and downtown Greenville. The portion between Furman and downtown Greenville should be complete by the end of 2009. They're going to use asphalt, not roadzyme, too. :thumbsup: I asked if the rubberized jogging surface would be extended beyond it's current terminus. Unfrotunately, no - it's way too expensive.

Edited by RestedTraveler

Jogged the new part of the greenway last weekend (the part that goes to Greenville Tech). Really a great addition. Several small branch paths off the main greenway. I like that it runs through heavily wooded areas of the city. Obviously, it will be much more attractive once plantings have been done and trees and grass have grown in around the trail.

On the trail though, I noticed something odd and curious if any of you know the answer. Below are two pics to explain what I am talking about.

The first pic, a large concrete circle, obviously has something to do with sewer / drain / stormwater / river water management, etc. There were three or four of these along the greenway. The second photo is of wooden benches. These woooden benches were built immediately around the concrete platform in two different areas. The strangest thing, these wooden benches look old.....like they have been there for quite awhile. As this area was just dense woods (not a park), why would these wooden benches have been built? Who would have used them? Were they built around the concrete sewer unit to use that unit as some sort of stage? Just odd they have obviously been there for a few years. Anyone have more info?

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

The first pic, a large concrete circle, obviously has something to do with sewer / drain / stormwater / river water management, etc. There were three or four of these along the greenway. The second photo is of wooden benches. These woooden benches were built immediately around the concrete platform in two different areas. The strangest thing, these wooden benches look old.....like they have been there for quite awhile. As this area was just dense woods (not a park), why would these wooden benches have been built? Who would have used them? Were they built around the concrete sewer unit to use that unit as some sort of stage? Just odd they have obviously been there for a few years. Anyone have more info?

The round concrete platforms are for the sewer line that runs along the river. The wooden benches were built several years ago by YMCA for events. In your first photo, you'll notice an orange mesh fence in the background. There is a trail there that runs from the YMCA to where these benches are located.

Edited by citylife

• 3 months later...

I remember hearing rumor that Furman to TR would be paved by the end of this year. Obviously we are running out of time for that to come true. Has anyone else heard status on this segment?

I'm still wondering why Furman planted trees in the middle of the trail along with stone work around them! Wouldn't that make it harder for a Tram to go around?

I remember hearing rumor that Furman to TR would be paved by the end of this year. Obviously we are running out of time for that to come true. Has anyone else heard status on this segment?

I found this on the TR city website under the Tram-Trail Implementation -

Phase II: Development of Paved "Tram-Trail"

Timetable:

Fundraising is ongoing, and on-the-ground work will be initiated once all funds are raised; completion by end of 2009

Seems every year that gets pushed back. I am still waiting on the TR downtown redevelopment that was to start some time ago too.

Other links on the web (http://www.wyff4.com/news/13575821/detail.html) say that the trail will be ready by the end of the year 2007! I'm excited by the project, and I know times are tough. I just wish that the city would commit to SOMETHING on the project so we can stop this roller coaster of expectations.

I found this on the TR city website under the Tram-Trail Implementation -

Phase II: Development of Paved "Tram-Trail"

Timetable:

Fundraising is ongoing, and on-the-ground work will be initiated once all funds are raised; completion by end of 2009

Seems every year that gets pushed back. I am still waiting on the TR downtown redevelopment that was to start some time ago too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still wondering why Furman planted trees in the middle of the trail along with stone work around them! Wouldn't that make it harder for a Tram to go around?

There's still going to be a tram? I thought it got cancelled. :unsure: The section between Sunrift Adventures and Furman was supposed to be paved by the end of 2008. I'm guessing that didn't happen. :(

It was not just a rumor. The GCRD people at the Swamp Rabbit Trail booth (during the US Pro Cycling Championships), themselves, told me directly that the paving of the portion between T.R. and Furman would be complete by the end of 2008 and that the paving between Furman and downtown would begin as soon as some bridges were complete. The paving of the portion between T.R. and Furman has not yet happened, though, which really does not surprise me. It's par for the course around here, unfortunately. Nevertheless, even though the trail hasn't been paved and isn't officially open, people were out using it in droves today. It's become so popular that the city of T.R. has been forced to close off a parking lot near the Travelers Rest BP/Amoco station that people had been parking in to go out on the trail. The future use of the lot is for this very purpose, but for now, the trail is not open so they're trying to discourage people from using it until it is open.

As for the Tram, it's my understanding that this is still very much an intended goal, so yea - I'm with linkerjpatrick...it does not make sense why there is landscaping in the middle of the trail near Furman.

As for the Tram, it's my understanding that this is still very much an intended goal, so yea - I'm with linkerjpatrick...it does not make sense why there is landscaping in the middle of the trail near Furman.

Even if they are NOT planning a tram I still don't understand the point of planting trees right in the middle of a trail! That's like planting a tree in the middle of sidewalk on purpose. Are these "protest plantings" or something?

Even if they are NOT planning a tram I still don't understand the point of planting trees right in the middle of a trail! That's like planting a tree in the middle of sidewalk on purpose. Are these "protest plantings" or something?

They were planted by TreesGreenville to slow down and stop walkers, bikers, etc. before crossing the road so they wouldn't get hit by a car.

It was not just a rumor. The GCRD people at the Swamp Rabbit Trail booth (during the US Pro Cycling Championships), themselves, told me directly that the paving of the portion between T.R. and Furman would be complete by the end of 2008 and that the paving between Furman and downtown would begin as soon as some bridges were complete. The paving of the portion between T.R. and Furman has not yet happened, though, which really does not surprise me. It's par for the course around here, unfortunately. Nevertheless, even though the trail hasn't been paved and isn't officially open, people were out using it in droves today.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think the County section of trail will be paved with asphalt. Last I heard (months ago), they still planned to use the Roadzyme method that was posted about earlier. That means the trail will just have the appearance of hard packed dirt. Like I said though, I could be wrong as I have been out of the loop a bit lately. Has anyone heard otherwise?

• 1 month later...

The City has approved moving money from extending the Swamp Rabbit trail South around Parkins Mill Rd, and funding an improvement to the trail through Cleveland Park. Here's a link: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

I would like to see the trail be extended now, but I think this is probably best. The trail through Cleveland Park can make users disoriented. The signage is good, but a better overall feel and continuation of the path style and size will go a long way. Plus, I know for a fact that many Parkins Mill residents need some selling on the idea of the trail. "Plans" have been circulating that propose the trail to run along Parkins Mill Road. The residents were somewhat outraged originally. I'm not sure they understand exactly how it will exist or what it will be used for, much less how much of a great asset it will be... With some time (this current delay), I think they'll come around. We just need some educating for a select few.

The City has approved moving money from extending the Swamp Rabbit trail South around Parkins Mill Rd, and funding an improvement to the trail through Cleveland Park. Here's a link: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

I would like to see the trail be extended now, but I think this is probably best. The trail through Cleveland Park can make users disoriented. The signage is good, but a better overall feel and continuation of the path style and size will go a long way. Plus, I know for a fact that many Parkins Mill residents need some selling on the idea of the trail. "Plans" have been circulating that propose the trail to run along Parkins Mill Road. The residents were somewhat outraged originally. I'm not sure they understand exactly how it will exist or what it will be used for, much less how much of a great asset it will be... With some time (this current delay), I think they'll come around. We just need some educating for a select few.

Interesting. Curious why the Parkins Mill residents feel this way. :dontknow: I would hope they are aware that close proximity to a greenway actually raises home values........not that Parkins Mill needs any higher home values I guess.

Interesting. Curious why the Parkins Mill residents feel this way. :dontknow: I would hope they are aware that close proximity to a greenway actually raises home values........not that Parkins Mill needs any higher home values I guess.

I don't think they understand exactly what it is really. Seeing how Knox lives right there, I would think they could rest assured that it'd be nothing he didn't want in such close proximity to his own house... I have confidence though that it will happen as planned.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a story from GO Magazine on the new Swamp Rabbit Trail: http://www.gomagsc.com/april_archive.php

Other information:

-First five mile section of the county portion that goes through Furman University and Travelers Rest will be completed and opened in Spring 2009

-The completed trail will be approximately 17 miles long

-The section of trail south of Watkins Bridge Road and north of the city is estimated to be completed by the end of 2009

-The City of Greenville's section is 13 feet wide, including a five foot rubberized surface for runners

-The rubberized surface will always be on the low side, for drainage

-County's section will be 10 feet wide

-Final trail will include eight railroad bridges and 21 road crossings

-Will also feature bike racks, pocket parks, kiosks, restrooms and retail businesses

Edited by citylife

-First five mile section of the county portion that goes through Furman University and Travelers Rest will be completed and opened in Spring 2009

Signage has very recently been placed along this portion of the trail (both for vehicle traffic crossing the trail and for people using the trail to be aware of vehicle traffic). Also, the trail bed has been graded and is being prepared for paving at the northern most portion...shouldn't be long before the asphalt is laid down. FINALLY. :yahoo: