Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

Yea - there's a 5K along this trail starting at Sunrift and going toward Furman on May 8th, so it should be paved before then, for sure. I'm stoked!

It sounds like paving will start the week of April 5th from just south of Furman to just north of TR. Great news because that section already gets a lot of use.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove by the trail in the Furman/Travelers Rest earlier today and didn't see any paving taking place. :dontknow:

Relax. It'll be paved before May 8th, for sure. There's a ribbon cutting in Travelers Rest at 6:00pm on May 8th, followed by the Greenville Hospital System Swamp Rabbit 5K at 6:30pm.

• 2 weeks later...

That'd be cool. I read in the Travelers Rest "Talk of the Town" (city news letter) that the concrete barriers that have been placed along the trail in the parking areas along South Main Street are temporary (thank goodness - they're a bit of an eye sore). They're going to be replaced by proper curbing and landscaping to shield pedestrians and cyclists from vehicle traffic. This should begin in May and be complete by the autumn.

I saw yesterday that they paved from Sunrift to Williams Street! Good start!

Great! The northern terminus is supposed to be there at Cedar Creek Drive in Renfrew, just a little ways north of Williams. I'll get out and snap some photos soon and also try to scan in the landscape/streetscape renderings from the city newsletter. I noticed that the official "Swamp Rabbit Trail" signs have also been put up along the trail in addition to the other signage that had previously been put in place.

Great shot, but why have they skipped some sections of paving like next to the driving range in downtown Travelers Rest? :dontknow:

Reference the updated T.R. Master Plan maps and you'll find your answer. Work will begin this month and last through the autumn to implement many of these changes along the trail and also along South Main Street in Travelers Rest. Specifically landscape and hardscape will be going in along these sections of the trail that were not paved.

Reference the updated T.R. Master Plan maps and you'll find your answer. Work will begin this month and last through the autumn to implement many of these changes along the trail and also along South Main Street in Travelers Rest. Specifically landscape and hardscape will be going in along these sections of the trail that were not paved.

Thanks. Didn't realize the trail would have beautification features like that in Travelers Rest. Great to see. :shades: Speaking of the trail, I rode my bike on it for the first time today since they started paving. The pavement is a nice thick asphalt that is fairly wide. Perfect for running and biking. The only section of paving that hasn't been completed that is supposed to be from just north of Sunrift Adventures to Furman University is from Old Buncombe Road south to Roe Ford Road.

The section of the trail by Roe Rd/TR Oriental/TR Post Office is still not paved. Will they just have the 5k on gravel tomorrow?

I noticed that section when I went to the post office yesterday. I hadn't realized that it was still unpaved. I'm not sure why...that's not a section of trail that was slated to be paved over by the City of TR with pavers/concrete, so I'm a bit confused as to why it wasn't paved to start with. The equipment has pretty much been sitting there by the BP throughout the rainy spell and I doubt they can get it paved before tomorrow evening, so I would assume that section of the 5K will be run on the gravel/dirt.

For anyone who hadn't heard... the inaugural Swamp Rabbit 5K race was expected to draw about 500 people. It drew 2150 (plus their families). It was fantastic to see. The race began in the road beside the library and Gateway Park, turned right onto the trail (and 2-3 lanes of 276 due to the crowds!), ran just beyond the cemetary (about 100-200 yards of gravel running) and then around the cemetary and back.

Great to see so many people, and excited to see the groundbreaking for the TR beautification work in about 2 weeks. From my understanding, the area by TR's Oriental will have some changes as well, which is why they didn't pave it yet..

I noticed that section when I went to the post office yesterday. I hadn't realized that it was still unpaved. I'm not sure why...that's not a section of trail that was slated to be paved over by the City of TR with pavers/concrete, so I'm a bit confused as to why it wasn't paved to start with. The equipment has pretty much been sitting there by the BP throughout the rainy spell and I doubt they can get it paved before tomorrow evening, so I would assume that section of the 5K will be run on the gravel/dirt.

This is one of the short sections of trail still to be paved. I love that it runs in the middle, between the old warehouses/factory. Anyone know what this was?

We were chatting and playing with ideas......obviously would take a great deal of money (buildings look in bad shape), but could see this becoming a mircobrew, restaurants, shops, etc......step out the door and onto the greenway. The silos could be painted with the microbrew's logo.......neon signing for the development on the metal conveyor built structure across the trail......big garage doors for restaurants, shops, antique shops, etc opening directly onto the trail......etc, etc. Just day dreaming........

Thoughts? Ideas for re-use?

IMG_5339.jpg

IMG_5337.jpg

I need to check out the northern portion of the trail. I love the photos.

I also like your ideas for that old factory. I think it'd be a great reuse for it. BTW, Where is this? I think some residential as a separate structure could help with the vibe and sustain the retail to an extent with a good base of customers.