Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

I also like your ideas for that old factory. I think it'd be a great reuse for it. BTW, Where is this? I think some residential as a separate structure could help with the vibe and sustain the retail to an extent with a good base of customers.

Agreed. Being so close to Furman, I would think residential could definitely work. :thumbsup:

If I'm not mistaken, this is the old Scott's Fertilizer plant just north of Roe Ford Road near Furman.

Thanks RT. :thumbsup:

Great photos, gsupstate! :shades: I love how this is coming along. Lighting, shelters, and emergency phones would make it nearly perfect, in my opinion - along with the remodeling of those fascinating old warehouse buildings.

Thanks.

Anyone know if there are plans for lighting or emergency phones? Certainly would be a plus for the greenway now that it stretches for so many miles.

This is one of the short sections of trail still to be paved. I love that it runs in the middle, between the old warehouses/factory. Anyone know what this was?

We were chatting and playing with ideas......obviously would take a great deal of money (buildings look in bad shape), but could see this becoming a mircobrew, restaurants, shops, etc......step out the door and onto the greenway. The silos could be painted with the microbrew's logo.......neon signing for the development on the metal conveyor built structure across the trail......big garage doors for restaurants, shops, antique shops, etc opening directly onto the trail......etc, etc. Just day dreaming........

Thoughts? Ideas for re-use?

Here is an update from GCRD that was sent out last week. According to this the old plant will be torn down soon. I'm not sure what is planned to be built there.

This is the week!!! By the end of the week unless mother nature gets in the way the northern section of the trail from TR to Watkins Bridge Rd will be paved and open!!!

(now the fine print)

Here is an update from GCRD that was sent out last week. According to this the old plant will be torn down soon. I'm not sure what is planned to be built there.

Thanks for the update. I kind of hate to hear that. It seemed like it could have been a cool revitalization. Of course, finding out it was a fertilizer factory brings up second thoughts. It is probably a toxic dump.

It would have brought an entirely new meaning to crappy beer, huh? :lol:

:lol:

And to "detox" as well.

Which by the way, totally off topic here, my partner is having a hard time with the name of the new place downtown "DT's". We've been using the term DT for years.....and rarely, in a flattering way.

:lol:

And to "detox" as well.

Which by the way, totally off topic here, my partner is having a hard time with the name of the new place downtown "DT's". We've been using the term DT for years.....and rarely, in a flattering way.

I immediately thought "delirium tremens" and alcohol withdrawal when I first heard the name "DTs." LOL! :lol:

I rode the northern section of the Swamp Rabbit for the first time since it had been paved. It covers a lot more ground than I had thought. It runs from Watkins Bridge Rd. all the way past Greenville Hospital System in TR to Bridwell Rd. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I'm loving the northern section of the trail. 4 days this week I made it out for a jog (30-45 minutes each) and am seeing people out everyday. Families, seniors, kids, joggers, bikers. Many thanks to all who have been involved in this project! Even this morning I saw 9 people in half an hour and the rain was coming down steadily! TR loves the trail!

I'm loving the northern section of the trail. 4 days this week I made it out for a jog (30-45 minutes each) and am seeing people out everyday. Families, seniors, kids, joggers, bikers. Many thanks to all who have been involved in this project! Even this morning I saw 9 people in half an hour and the rain was coming down steadily! TR loves the trail!

This past month as I've driven up to get strawberries, I've noticed the amount of activity in TR, as well. :good: The scene I enjoyed the most was in the afternoon, witnessing at least a dozen TRHS students using the trail to walk home. Every dime spent on the entire trail has been well worth it!

Good to hear. :thumbsup: I've only been on this section on weekend days and they were busy. Sounds like weekdays are just as busy.

Just a reminder that the public meeting for the Greenville county greenway plan is tonight. You can drop in anytime between 4:00-7:00 to look over the plan and leave comments. You can also fill out a comment form online by following the link on the Greenways website:

http://www.greenways.com/greenvillecounty

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...RTS04/906300320

Is this at County Square or where ??

At the REWA office (formerly Western Carolina Regional Sewer Authority) at 561 Mauldin Rd, right next to I-85

The Greenville News article gives the time and place in the upper right corner of the page. I did not notice it the first time I looked, it's easy to miss.

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed today that the city is working on the final section to tie the Cleveland Park greenway to the new section of sidewalk that was extended out Broad Street. The Broad Street extension will be tied to the greenway via sidewalk on Sherwood Street, immediately behind Rock Quarry Garden. There are orange cones all around the area now and work is well underway. Nice to see this additional critical link underway. :thumbsup:

Noticed today that the city is working on the final section to tie the Cleveland Park greenway to the new section of sidewalk that was extended out Broad Street. The Broad Street extension will be tied to the greenway via sidewalk on Sherwood Street, immediately behind Rock Quarry Garden. There are orange cones all around the area now and work is well underway. Nice to see this additional critical link underway. :thumbsup:

I think the sidewalks there will be a nice addition. However, what the City has done to the terminus of Broad Street is horrendous. I love the added sidewalk, but the reconfiguring of that junction is very harsh. It does it's job well for slowing people down, but I think it works a little too well.

The changes to the intersection by the rock quarry garden appears to significantly narrow that road. I think it will make for a more logical arrangement, but hopefully they do a safer job than you'll find at Broad Street. I've seen a lot of people go up on the sidewalk there...

Speaking of which, the city's upgrades to intersections look great at Augusta Street and Mauldin Road. If you haven't seen it in person, it's definitely worth a drive to check it out. The islands are landscaped, I believe, and they stamped the concrete to look like brick in several places...

• 2 weeks later...