Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

I believe River Falls is somewhat between Caesar's Head and Jones Gap State Parks. In that general area at least.

n particular, I believe it is the small community in front of the Jones Gap entrance. 

Yes to both. River Falls is an unincorporated area of Greenville County located just north of the intersection of River Falls Road, Jones Gap Road and Gap Creek Road, in the general vicinity of Friddle Lake. Statistically it is categorized as a "populated place," which is basically a "settlement." River Falls appears on the Cleveland U.S. Geological Survey Map at approximately latitude 35.124 and longitude -82.542.

http://www.topoquest.com/place-detail.php?id=1250392

Edited by RiverWalker

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

County considers extending Swamp Rabbit Trail onto old rail line

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20130620/NEWS/306200032/County-considers-extending-Swamp-Rabbit-Trail-onto-old-rail-line?nclick_check=1

Very interesting ideas. If you have chrome open link in incognito window to avoid pay wall.

Very interesting indeed, though there would be the problem of what to do about the grade-level crossings at Haywood Rd. and Verdae Blvd. Those roads just carry a lot of traffic, and building overpasses would be very costly. I believe those were two of the impediments to building the previously proposed rapid-bus plan.

Another issue is that the Salters Rd. overpass will be closed for up to 18 months when it is widened next year.  Salters Rd. is a valuable bike route across I-85.  Even if only the ICAR to Verdae Blvd. section of the trail could be resurfaced, it would be a big help to commuters.

• Like 1

Very interesting indeed, though there would be the problem of what to do about the grade-level crossings at Haywood Rd. and Verdae Blvd. Those roads just carry a lot of traffic, and building overpasses would be very costly. I believe those were two of the impediments to building the previously proposed rapid-bus plan.

I wonder how the traffic levels on Haywood Rd and Verdae Blvd compare to the SRT crossings at Blue Ridge Drive and Sulphur Springs.      They're not ideal, but they show that it can be done.  I suspect Haywood carries more traffic.

Greenville's traffic engineer said there is so much bicycle traffic crossing River St. on the Swamp Rabbit Trail, that if they were cars, it would require a traffic signal.  Since the crossing is so close to an existing intersection, their only option is the planned underpass.

Greenville's traffic engineer said there is so much bicycle traffic crossing River St. on the Swamp Rabbit Trail, that if they were cars, it would require a traffic signal.  Since the crossing is so close to an existing intersection, their only option is the planned underpass.

Having been through that crossing in all four directions, I'm sure that's true. As a cyclist and often pedestrian, I always stop and wait patiently when I'm driving, while those behind me fume and fuss. Some resolution is necessary for that intersection, although I have a hard time envisioning the proposed underpass. The engineers will have to excavate almost down to normal-stage river level, and I'll still duck my head instinctively each time I ride through. There but for helmets...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The hospitality tax revenues are providing $2.58 million for capital projects — mostly projects near or related to the Swamp Rabbit Trail — that include $630,000 for Cancer Survivor’s Park, $606,000 for a NEXT trail connector, $225,000 for Hudson Street trailhead, $125,000 for Greenville Tech railhead, $145,000 for trail rubber surface, $500,000 for public safety cameras and $350,000 for River Street Underpass.

Source: https://www.gsabusiness.com/news/48778-greenville-rsquo-s-hospitality-tax-revenue-up-unexpected-10-last-fiscal-year?rss=0

Edited by gman430

• 3 months later...

They've installed buttons and lights at the crosswalk on River Street to improve safety of those crossing the street. The lights are installed along the crosswalk lines (similar to reflectors on streets) and on the bright yellow crossing signs. They flash and definitely improve the visibility for motorists. Well done City of Greenville!

Edited by GvilleSC

They've installed buttons and lights at the crosswalk on River Street to improve safety of those crossing the street. The lights are installed along the crosswalk lines (similar to reflectors on streets) and on the bright yellow crossing signs. They flash and definitely improve the visibility for motorists. Well done City of Greenville!

This has been in the planning stages for quite some time.  I believe it may be the first of its kind in the state.

• 4 months later...

Cyclists riding the Swamp Rabbit Trail are warned of “danger” as they approach West Blue Ridge Drive where it crosses the trail between downtown Greenville and Furman University.

“High traffic road,” a bright orange sign tells them. “Walk bike across.”

They’d be able to ride over the five lanes of whizzing traffic on a new bridge if local governments and other trail supporters are successful in applying for nearly $13.7 million in federal funds.

The money, combined with another $10.2 million from local sources, would be used to make numerous improvements to the trail and extend it from Cleveland Park to Clemson University’s International Center for Automotive Research.

The proposed trail extension would run for nearly five miles along the route of a former freight rail line between the intersection of Laurens Road and Washington Street to the former Hollingsworth on Wheels textile machinery plan near the Greenville/Mauldin city line.

Along the way it would traverse Pleasantburg Drive, Haywood and Woodruff roads, and the Verdae development.

Part of the grant money would be used to buy three battery-powered transit buses that would be manufactured in Greenville by Proterra and operated on Laurens and Haywood roads by the Greenlink bus service.

Proterra said in a letter included with the grant application that it would provide the buses at a discount because they’d help showcase the company’s products in its hometown.

But getting the grant won’t be easy, according to Ty Houck, greenways director for the Greenville County recreation department who worked on the application to the U.S. Department of Transportation.

The federal agency tells applicants they have a 5 percent chance of getting any money, Houck said.

The grant application was filed by the county with support from the city of Greenville and numerous nonprofit organizations such as the Upstate Forever conservation group, the Hollingworth Funds charitable foundation, the Greenville Spinners Bicycle Club and the Greenville Chamber.

The county would provide $2.6 million of the local contribution and the city $5.9 million, according to the grant application.

It lays out the list of improvements that local officials would like to make along the popular trail if they can find the money.

The proposed improvements include:

• Extending the Swamp Rabbit from Travelers Rest to Marietta, with bridges over the Saluda River and Bates Crossing Road and sidewalk repairs along Slater Road, including in front of Slater-Marietta Elementary School.

• Expanding the number of B-Cycle bicycle rent stations from six to 19, with seven new stations in Westside Greenville and six along the proposed new trail section between downtown and ICAR.

• Connecting the trail to Lakeview Middle School and Berea.

• Building two bridges over the Reedy River along the trail near downtown on the West Greenville property where the city plans a major new park.

• Connecting the trail to Old Buncombe Road and Duncan Chapel Elementary via Furman University.

• Building a pedestrian connection from the trail to the Amtrak station in West Greenville.

• Building sidewalks connecting the trail to the future Travelers Rest municipal center (currently Trailblazer Park).

• Building sidewalks and bicycle lanes along Roe Ford Road.

• Taking the trail under River Street near Linky Stone Park and the Peace Center downtown.

• Building a “full pedestrian connection” across Laurens Road from the Gower and Parkins Mill neighborhoods to a shopping center, city park and housing that Verdae Development plans alongside a proposed new section of the trail through the existing Verdae development.

• Building a 12-foot-wide, illuminated suspension bridge to carry the trail over the Reedy River between Falls Park and Cleveland Park. The new bridge is part of longstanding plans for a park called Cancer Survivors Park. It would replace the “cheese gate” bridge that carries the trail over the Reedy on the property now.

The grant is part of $600 million available through the latest round of TIGER grant funding administered by DOT.

The federal agency, headed by former Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx, plans to announce the recipients later this year, said Ryan Daniels, a spokesman.

He said DOT hasn’t released information on who else has applied.

The odds of getting the grant are small, but I assume this would be done in a stripped down version, if the grant doesn't come through. Of course, it might take a few years without the grant also.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...