Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

Anyone know what is happening at the railroad crossing during the SR trail closure?  Are they straightening out the trail and removing the wooden bridge?  I tried to look from the bridge on Washington Ext, but couldn't see too well.

Yes, that's what they're doing.  They are also installing a crossing signal.

The River Street Underpass will connect two heavily used portions of the Swamp Rabbit Trail beneath River Street, eliminating a precarious mid-block crossing for trail users and providing a safer connection for some of the city’s most economically disadvantaged citizens to an array of public services and transportation options.  

The City will receive $200,000 in Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds from the South Carolina Department of Commerce via the Appalachian Regional Commission to fund the approximately $465,000 River Street Underpass project.  Because the project received federal funding, it required an environmental review, which has now been completed. The City has made a Finding of No Significant Impact and will request the release of funds for the project following  a 15-day comment period.  

• Like 1

The River Street Underpass will connect two heavily used portions of the Swamp Rabbit Trail beneath River Street, eliminating a precarious mid-block crossing for trail users and providing a safer connection for some of the city’s most economically disadvantaged citizens to an array of public services and transportation options.

The City will receive $200,000 in Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds from the South Carolina Department of Commerce via the Appalachian Regional Commission to fund the approximately $465,000 River Street Underpass project. Because the project received federal funding, it required an environmental review, which has now been completed. The City has made a Finding of No Significant Impact and will request the release of funds for the project following a 15-day comment period.

This is going to be nice to have. Glad to see it moving forward! I'll be interested to see how they make this work... It could be really neat!

I think the most dangerous crossing is the crossing over Blue Ridge Dr (253).  It's 4 lanes and I see some people taking chances crossing and some drivers being stupid there.  Unfortunately no real way to fix that other than an overpass.

• Like 1

I think the most dangerous crossing is the crossing over Blue Ridge Dr (253).  It's 4 lanes and I see some people taking chances crossing and some drivers being stupid there.  Unfortunately no real way to fix that other than an overpass.

The signals still exist for the railroad crossing.  Seems like it would be pretty simple to make them operate with a push button similar to other pedestrian crossings.

This is going to be nice to have. Glad to see it moving forward! I'll be interested to see how they make this work... It could be really neat!

This sounds awesome, but I'm also very interested to see how they will do this. That bridge doesn't appear tall enough to have an underpass.

The signals still exist for the railroad crossing.  Seems like it would be pretty simple to make them operate with a push button similar to other pedestrian crossings.

There is literally so much traffic at some of these crossings that if they were motor vehicles, they would require a traffic signal.  An overpass or underpass are probably the only options. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A 5.5 acre site is up for rezoning from Industrial to Residential right next to where the Swamp Rabbit crosses over E. Bramlett Rd near Legacy Charter School and E Parker Rd.  Will be good to see some new residential over this side of town and another positive effect of the Swamp Rabbit Trail.

Bramlett.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Anyone heard an update on this?  With the construction nearby, it would make sense to do this now so they complete at the same time. 

I spoke with the city architect about this on Saturday.  The winning bid is being finalized.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Swamp Rabbit Trail expansion moving forward

I hope they go with a tunnel for Laurens Rd. 

A tunnel tends to give a sense of danger - a place for someone to hide and prowl out of sight.   Although the trail is supposed to be daytime-only, there will always be low use time such as early morning or marginal weather.   Based on what I've seen in other cities, a tunnel is much more secluded than bridge underpasses.

Edited by bikeoid

I wish I was able to post my Terminal Project from Clemson.

It was for a greenway extension encircling GMU and connecting to this extension at either end. Then there was also a spur going to Runway Park. It would help connect TD Convention Center, the terminal, churches, and other land uses in the area. 

On June 10, 2016 at 1:07 PM, bikeoid said:

A bridge will cost quite a bit also, if they want to keep the best ADA rating by minimizing the approach ramp inclines.

The city is looking at two options: connecting to Richland Way via Traxler St. or Boyce Springs Ave. via Haviland Ave.

1 hour ago, Galley said:

The city is looking at two options: connecting to Richland Way via Traxler St. or Boyce Springs Ave. via Haviland Ave.

If they go via Richland Way, would that street need to become 1-way for cars to allow room for the path to pass under the bridge?

Richland via Traxler is the most logical route. Traxler has the abandoned rails, next to it, where that line went through there and the area for the/a bridge, next to the church, is there on both sides of Laurens Road. Using the Richland route may have some short comings. Its far fewer than the other option. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2016 at 5:05 AM, vicupstate said:

Anyone heard an update on this?  With the construction nearby, it would make sense to do this now so they complete at the same time. 

It appears that work has begun on this project. I will be anxious to see how this turns out.

• 2 weeks later...