Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

Ty Houck, the county's greenway director sent this in an email this morning to subscribers:

• "Timing for construction to begin on the GHS Swamp Rabbit to CU-ICAR is still on track to be underway in 17 months

if not sooner.  As the trail comes towards Cleveland Park near the corner of Washington St and Laurens Rd we are even exploring the idea of having the trail fly through the second floor of a new office building. Let me know if you are looking for a one-of-a-kind office space and we will get you more details as they develop."

Now this could be interesting!

• Like 2

On August 7, 2016 at 2:01 PM, ausrutherford said:

I'm honestly surprised they were able to get enough room. 

Where there's a will, there's a way.  If there's not enough room, just build it out over the water.  Look at what they've done in Tampa and Austin, for example.

Tampa:

maxresdefault.jpg

Austin:

DSC_8201.jpg?itok=ZtBPcmno

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Definitely looks great! Still surprised there was enough room.

That pipe that was painted yellow looks to be no more than 6 feet above the path, will have to check it out in person.  I would have thought that there would be a code about how tall something like that would have to be to avoid someone on a bike crashing into head first.  Maybe it just looks really really low....  Glad to have it though, I will try to remember to duck...

On 11/7/2016 at 9:00 AM, gvegascple said:

That pipe that was painted yellow looks to be no more than 6 feet above the path, will have to check it out in person.  I would have thought that there would be a code about how tall something like that would have to be to avoid someone on a bike crashing into head first.  Maybe it just looks really really low....  Glad to have it though, I will try to remember to duck...

That was a point of contention for a very long time as the pipe is owned by the Water Department.  They were worried about lawsuits.  I was told it was originally going to be contained in an enclosure which would be city property.  The paint is obviously a compromise.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2017/05/06/what-city-greenville-do-its-budget-surplus/101237622/

Greenville County is overseeing the bridge construction, which will build bridges for the trail over Laurens Road, Haywood Road and Verdae Boulevard. An existing former railroad bridge will span over Woodruff Road, and a street crossing will be constructed at Keith Drive, said Ty Houck, the county's Greenways, Natural & Historic Resources director.

The construction is expected to begin in January after the county secures the last bits of right of way for the trail, Houck said.

Edited by gman430

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the Greenville Journal: 

Despite the fact that the county has yet to identify where an extension to the GHS Swamp Rabbit Trail will cross Laurens Road with a flyover bridge, work has started on the 2.9 miles of trail from Pleasantburg Drive to Verdae Boulevard.

A contractor has begun pulling up railroad ties on that section, and paving is expected to begin by January 2018. The county expects to identify the location of a trail bridge over Laurens Road soon as negotiations with private property owners are in their final stages. Greenville County is overseeing construction of the project, and the city is pitching in $2.5 million to build bridges across Laurens Road, Haywood Road, and Verdae Boulevard. The trail will go under Pleasantburg Drive.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

OK, so I rode it this weekend (as well as several times before it was officially opened). The Orange Line to Hampton Station takes you to Washington Street (just south of Swamp Rabbit Cafe), you ride about 2 blocks on Washington Street then take the newly paved and wide segment to Hampton Avenue then about one more block to BFS.  It's not a lot shorter than just getting on Hampton Ave past the Swamp Rabbit Bike Shop but not as sketchy. All in all it's an improvement and the crowds at Swamp Rabbit Cafe and Birds Fly South this weekend were HUGE, I need to come up with a business model for that area...any ideas?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Joey_Blackdogg said:

Has anyone used this extension to get to BFS and Hampton Station? Has the "shortcut" mentioned in the article been initiated? 

As far as I know, there are no firm plans yet for the "shortcut" to avoid the Washington St on-road segment.   For the near term, I think all available funds are being directed to the Laurens Rd section of the SRT and the Lakeview School link.  Certainly it should be done sometime because of the amount of traffic headed to Hampton Station.