Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

3 minutes ago, dtowndreaming said:

Do you know when this application is being reviewed? I thought I had seen it on a meeting agenda for this afternoon but now I don’t see any meetings scheduled for today. 

Today at 4pm. 10th floor City Hall: https://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_05092019-1851?html=true

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, dtowndreaming said:

Thanks, are you planning on attending?  I was hoping to go but may have a conflict. If you go will you post a short summary if there is anything interesting?

I won’t be able to make it unfortunately. I had to go to Charlotte today. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, gman430 said:

"The final two easements required are in the process of being finalized," county spokesman Bob Mihalic said. "Design elements are ahead of schedule. Official announcements will be made very soon."

Is this for the ICAR extension? 

51 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

This will be a huge step forward once complete! I look forward to how it can transform Laurens Rd.

After seeing how it has impacted other areas, I expect the transformation  to be epic. There are already projects started and the trail isn't there yet. It's going to be fun to watch.

• 1 month later...

:yahoo: 

Eight easement agreements have been reached on the planned path for the trail between Cleveland Park and the CU-ICAR campus, said Ty Houck, director of Greenways, Natural and Historic Resources for the Greenville County parks system. 

That next section of the trail, an approximately five-mile route that parallels Laurens Road, includes about 1½ miles that require easements, while the rest is already controlled by Greenville County, Houck told The Greenville News in May.

Beyond that, Houck said this week that he anticipates putting out to bid the bridge projects that are included in the plan for the next section of the trail. One bridge would cross Laurens Road behind Willy Taco; another spans Haywood Road next to Professional Party Rentals; and a third is goes over Verdae Boulevard in front of the Velo Verdae apartments, Houck said. Another existing bridge across Woodruff Road is also planned to be upfitted as part of the project, he said.
Edited by gman430

I've lived in a couple other large metros that have extensive trails systems, also at least partially converted rail lines. Sadly, not where we live now, though some stuff is happening not too far away.

In one, our house was a relatively short walk/ride to the trail, and so we made a lot of use of it for exercise, family bike rides, pleasant late-afternoon walks, rides to Panera/Smoothie King/First Watch/etc. Because of how heavily traveled the trails were, bike shops started sprouting up at points along the trail. There were extensive sections of fencing that were non-obtrusively painted by local artists. All kinds of stuff.

All in all, this is and hopefully will continue to grow into a huge asset for Greenville's quality of life.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently all the arrangements for the Laurens Road / CUICAR now have the Green Light:

Route of the Green Line from Cleveland Park to CU-ICAR: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to the amazing property owners who have given generously of their land. It sends an incredible message when 8 property owners donate over 1.3 miles of corridor so that the Green Line of the Swamp Rabbit Trail system can expand by 5.4 miles. You can view the planned route by going to the Greenville County GIS (click here) then clicking Maps – Layers – Map Layers – Places of Interest then scroll down to “Planned Prisma Health Swamp Rabbit Trail Extension”

• Like 1

It’s hard to believe this is going to take 2.5 years. The have asked for the bridges to be delivered in June of 2020. It seems like they should be able to get them installed and paving done in 12 months. 

18 hours ago, gman430 said:

Does anybody have a link to the RFP that has been issued? 

https://www.greenvillecounty.org/apps/procurementpdf/Uploads/40RFP-signed.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1