Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

• 2 months later...

4 hours ago, dtowndreaming said:

Anyone with a Post and Courier subscription want to write up a brief summary of their article on the SRT extension delay?

From what I can gather:

•  Completion date slipped Dec 2022.   Reason: Covid set other priorities
  •   City is uncomfortable with the schedule slip and lack of detail on bridge costs by now.
  •   May or may not be able to open partial trail as it completes, pending actual bridge schedules.

My opinion only- 

•     Disappointed that the project could not get a higher priority by now considering the surrounding area investments by businesses.  Construction bids and design should have been able to proceed during Covid, pending coordination by the County.
  •     Bridges are more complicated and expensive than first estimate, especially the Laurens Rd overpass.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, vistatiger said:

SRT Tunnel under Sulphur Springs Rd in the works. Terrible tragedy over the weekend.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/proposal-for-swamp-rabbit-trail-tunnel-under-busy-upstate-highway-approved/36651883

The media needs to be more clear with their reporting on the tunnel. All of the reporting is for the tunnel to built under Highway 253. That is not Sulpher Springs Rd. Why is WYFF connecting where the cyclist got hit to Highway 253?

11 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Can't believe this tunnel only cost  $25k and is just now being done.  Maybe the state is paying the balance.  

That's what I thought too. If that number is correct,  shouldn't we have them on all of the busy crossings?  I have a feeling that the  cost is more than that.

1 minute ago, SVL said:

That's what I thought too. If that number is correct,  shouldn't we have them on all of the busy crossings?  I have a feeling that the  cost is more than that.

I'm guessing that is just the county portion. Is that a state highway?

Yes to more. IMO the SRT intersections nearby at Watkins Bridge Rd and the one at Duncan Chapel Road are accidents waiting to happen too. Cars fly through those areas and Watkins Bridge Rd is exploding with residential development . If I remember correctly someone has already been hit there.  

One big problem IMO is they are all treated differently. Sulphur Springs did put up a traffic signal, Watkins Bridge Rd -they put up Yield to pedestrian signs not long ago but cars just roll right through and  Duncan Chapel Rd- Hardly nothing other than the stop signs on the trail for the cyclist and joggers. Very Confusing.

TreesUpstate is currently fund raising with a campaign to "Shade the Rabbit". The effort will plant, water, and maintain 125 new trees from Travelers Rest to Greenville on the Green Line of the Swamp Rabbit Trail. Here's a link if anyone feels inclined to help in the effort or share with others: https://treesupstate.networkforgood.com/projects/84481-shady-rabbit

On the topic of road crossings: For safety reasons, I generally support the building of bridges versus the use of tunnels. I've also seen a lot of wildlife along the Swamp Rabbit over the years and would prefer to stay out in the open and daylight when possible. Being on a bike is one thing, but running or walking is another. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Greenville County refuses to accept city's blame for mounting Swamp Rabbit Trail costs

Disgruntled Greenville City Council members are blaming county partners for mounting costs and lagging timelines as they try to install bridges on an extension of the Prisma Health Swamp Rabbit Trail.

But the county isn't having it. 

“They’re pointing fingers, we’re giving facts, is the way I see it," county government spokesman Bob Mihalic said. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, transplant08 said:

Anyone know what is going on at southeast intersection of Swamp Rabbit Trail and 253? they are clearing trees for about 50 yards from the trail.  Is this the county project to explore an underpass/tunnel?

Yes, it's likely that they'll be able to create a tunnel using one or more of the existing bridge tunnels.

That's gonna be a long dark tunnel....choose your poison, getting run over on the road or assaulted in the tunnel. Honestly though, not that worried as long as it's daylight and there's usually plenty of other people on the trail.

13 hours ago, olrob said:

That's gonna be a long dark tunnel....choose your poison, getting run over on the road or assaulted in the tunnel. Honestly though, not that worried as long as it's daylight and there's usually plenty of other people on the trail.

We walked the new section the other day and looking around it made me wonder what kind of safety measures the trail system has.  I didn't see any cameras up  (maybe I missed them?) which I think is pretty much a no brainer for any new construction where a lot of people will be, let alone jogging paths which historically are magnets for assaults.  IMO cameras and lights and call boxes should be some of the first things that go up and the ones at the falls park werent numerous enough to prevent the artwork from being vandalized.  This would be a wake up call that there is a problem that will get worse if nothing is done.   I was surprised King St in Charleston's public cameras were so few and far between during the riot and subsequent late night violence issues they have had.  I figured someone would have said "oh shoot, we need more cameras over there" and its much better to have cameras before you need them than after someone is hurt or worse.

Edited by gvegascple