Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

They've discussed this forever (including continuing this connection all the way to The Well at one point in time). I'd support a road diet, and would love to see upgraded aesthetics (trees, pedestrian lighting, etc) on both sides of the street. Certainly, Academy is the most difficult (physically and mentally) to address. I'll be interested in seeing what they propose. I'm very happy to see that this is finally moving forward! 

Redevelopment of the AT&T building and parking lot would be a game changer for perceived walkability. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone know if the SRT under the McDaniel Bridge will get widened or improved when they take 6-9 months to update the bridge?

The SRT under the bridge can be a treacherous turn, especially after a rain with mud build up. 

https://www.greenvillesc.gov/civicalerts.aspx?AID=2815&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2022.06.30 GVL&utm_term=GVLtoday Subscribers - MASTER

4 minutes ago, ingvegas said:

Anyone know if the SRT under the McDaniel Bridge will get widened or improved when they take 6-9 months to update the bridge?

The SRT under the bridge can be a treacherous turn, especially after a rain with mud build up. 

https://www.greenvillesc.gov/civicalerts.aspx?AID=2815&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2022.06.30 GVL&utm_term=GVLtoday Subscribers - MASTER

So you've never heard of a MUD RUN??

7 hours ago, ingvegas said:

I would guess no change to the trail under the bridge because one place stated that the existing walls wouldn't change.

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Wow -- this proves how long it has been since I've driven that stretch of Haywood Road. I hope they dress up the bridges with some color, signage, or art to advertise the trail. 

The bridge over the Laurens road next to Willy Taco is also making good progress. Two big cranes are over there on either side, and yesterday when I drove past it looked like the concrete pillars to hold the bridge were starting to be installed/built.

11 hours ago, SVL said:

I didn't expect this level of bridges when they first announced this extension. These look like an interstate project. I'm happy to see it though and can't wait to use them.  I really want the county to do the same thing at W. Blue Ridge Drive and Sulphur Springs Road.  Those crossings need them asap. 

They have to build the bridges long enough to meet requirements for disability access and road height clearance, so that's why the big price tag.

Pictures I took on my bike ride yesterday.

-The bridge they are redoing before you get to Cleveland Park.

-On the entrance to Cancer Survivor's Park.

PXL_20220715_160117851.jpg

PXL_20220715_160124302.jpg

PXL_20220715_155701106.jpg

PXL_20220715_155303660.jpg

Additionally as an anecdote. 

I saw a CUV barreling full speed down the swamp rabbit trail (on the section where the YMCA is toward Greenville Tech). I don't know how she got past the barrier and I didn't stick around to see how she turn her car around once she realized that she wasn't on a road designed for cars.

Edited by Horatio Nelson
  • Like 2

A construction bid for a key trail that would connect Cleveland Park to Greenville's Laurens Road pedestrian bridge and a Prisma Health Swamp Rabbit Trail extension has come in nearly $1 million over budget, calling into question how the city will pay for the project in a race against the clock: 

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville/2022/07/22/swamp-rabbit-trail-extension-high-cost-threatens-trail-connection/10090311002/

Edited by gman430