Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

• 4 weeks later...

While running on the SRT this afternoon, I saw that they’re in full demolition mode of the single-story former mill (?) building just past Swamp Rabbit grocery. This seems like a real shame. I believe this is the county’s jurisdiction? This building could have found a really cool re-use. 

Does anyone know of plans for this site?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gman430 said:

This expansion doesn’t look anywhere close to opening. The cranes are still up and some of the trail still isn’t paved yet. 

I wish they'd post an update.   Even if it's just supply chain issues, it would make it seem that they're still thinking of finishing it in 2023.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

From yesterday's council meeting - encouraging to see that the Ped bridges came in a decent bit under budget. Hopefully bodes well for funding for additional SRT expansions and improvements.

image.thumb.png.6f5718ac037c32c22f5b9c0172d9406c.png

image.thumb.png.93512bc0d848d4b48912a9720fb21698.png

How is the thing that is going to take longer paving the path! 2 months! What has the county been doing? The city has built literal bridges faster.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Horatio Nelson said:

How is the thing that is going to take longer paving the path! 2 months! What has the county been doing? The city has built literal bridges faster.

Maybe it will be finished by 2030…maybe not. :rofl: Only in Greenville. 

Edited by gman430

https://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/9273?fileID=50346

From page 22/26 of the power point presentation:

In anticipation of the Swamp Rabbit Trail Extension project, the City would continue efforts to cross major roadways without utilizing unsafe at-grade crossings. The County has currently abandoned plans to extend the trail to CUICAR which would provide important connections to other parts of the County.

This is the first I've heard of this. I thought they were going all the way still. Crosswalks and lights have already been installed there.

27 minutes ago, SVL said:

https://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/9273?fileID=50346

From page 22/26 of the power point presentation:

In anticipation of the Swamp Rabbit Trail Extension project, the City would continue efforts to cross major roadways without utilizing unsafe at-grade crossings. The County has currently abandoned plans to extend the trail to CUICAR which would provide important connections to other parts of the County.

This is the first I've heard of this. I thought they were going all the way still. Crosswalks and lights have already been installed there.

It sounds to me like the extension abandoned by the County is the proposal to go under 85, no? I know it would be expensive, but I'd rather they find a solution to build over 85 to connect to ICAR. Greenville has a fantastic trail system and the chance to advertise that with a visible crossing (with signage)  of a major interstate would look good upon the community, if nothing else. 

Edited by GvilleSC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

It sounds to me like the extension abandoned by the County is the proposal to go under 85, no? I know it would be expensive, but I'd rather they find a solution to build over 85 to connect to ICAR. Greenville has a fantastic trail system and the chance to advertise that with a visible crossing (with signage)  of a major interstate would look good upon the community, if nothing else. 

The 85 intersection should already be OK - with 85 being a bridge over the trail path and already in place.   The slide talks about a bridge over Laurel Creek between 85 and Verdae.   But the bridge cost would seem a minor obstacle compared to the once-spoken plan of  building a bridge over Verdae.   I suppose it might need to be slightly elevated since Laurel Creek floods at times.

8 hours ago, bikeoid said:

The 85 intersection should already be OK - with 85 being a bridge over the trail path and already in place.   The slide talks about a bridge over Laurel Creek between 85 and Verdae.   But the bridge cost would seem a minor obstacle compared to the once-spoken plan of  building a bridge over Verdae.   I suppose it might need to be slightly elevated since Laurel Creek floods at times.

The upcoming city budget includes $2 million to build a bridge over Verdae Blvd: 

0E54CE9E-C2A8-4EE8-8CD8-C35B3541409D.jpeg

Edited by gman430
  • Like 4