Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One update is that Spartanburg has completed its first rail to trail project. A large section of the Hub City Connector (part of the Palmetto Trail system) is on a former CSX line that ran between Union St and S Pine from Country Club Rd to Henry St. The trail has been incredibly successful, infact, it has been more successful than originally expected. I always see people running/walking along there during most times of the day.

There was a public meeting of the Economic Advisory Board of County Council (I think that's the name.) to specifically discuss the Travelers Rest trail last night. (I heard about it at the last minute, otherwise I would have posted about it in advance.) It appeared to be more of an information gathering session, but it did explain away some issues... most of which were already decided. There were a couple naysayers... but the meeting itself seemed somewhat subdued.

At the conclusion of the meeting, members of the board explained why they felt the trail would be a great thing for the county. They went into detail about steps to be taken from here, but I don't remember them all.

Phase 1 would involve laying down a trail of limestone for use as a walking-biking trail... approximate cost of $200,000... completed in months.

Phase 2 would involve paving the trail for tram purposes... approximate cost of $14 million (not 100% sure on that number)... 85-90% federal transportation funds... completed in years.

But... the overriding theme of the meeting was that the trail is going to happen... but many logistical things still need to be determined before work can begin.

No updates since April not seeing anything on Net since then. What is happening with the trails? VERY excited about seeing it happen. Especially if it runs close to the Lofts of Greenville on Smythe. Rested Traveler, you are everywhere and seem to be on it. What is happening?

Thanks.

There was a meeting the other night about this project.

This was told to me by someone who was at the meeting:

Apparently they are trying to move forward quickly. They have plans to pull up the rails and grade the rail bed for foot and bike traffic by the end of the year. Then they will have to raise money for the next phase which includes the tram and paving the trail, however, federal grants or something like that will cover 85% of the cost.

I hope this is right... this was all second hand.

• 3 weeks later...
So, where exactly were these pictures taken.
The first photo was taken from Hudson towards DT Greenville. The second Photo was taken from Westfield away from town with the new Kroc center site on the left and the Reedy river on the right. At the present time this is a rough part of town and this whole area is not very well known. Until the Kroc center is built or the trail makes it far enough to connect to something it is just going to be the trail to no where (for now). It is really hard to figure out were the trail will actually be located because of all the other rail road tracks in the area, but it appears to me that it will help connect the new "lofts" development to DT.

• 3 weeks later...

13-AUG-2006 Construction Photo Update:

BEFORE IMAGE of trail "head" near the Kroc Center Site (posted previously by TREY):

DSCF1194.jpg

Today's shot taken by me:

214480202_02b45dfc98_b.jpg

As you can see, they've been busy paving the trail.

YES! :yahoo::wub:

This is going to connect right on along the Reedy River into the Camperdown Condo development, then Linky Stone Park, then across River Street into the RiverWalk at RiverPlace, and right on down into Falls Park and Cleveland Park, etc.

I can't wait to get on this trail here in T.R. and ride it right on into Downtown Greenville! :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...