Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

I forgot to post this, but if you go into the lobby of the Hampton Inn and Suites at Riverplace and pick up the u.s. pro cycling brochure if their still there on the desk right across from the check-in counter, there will be a thing on the rails to trails program in the city of Greenville. I'll take a pic of it and post it on here tomorrow. :)

In following-up to the previous article that I posted, I went over to check out just how far the city has come toward completion of this trail. It looks like the grading work has been done all the way through to the Linky Stone Park under the Academy Street bridge, so that's where the trail will connect up to the RiverWalk / Greenbelt Park System. A gravel base should be going in soon and then tarmac on top of that.

I noticed the City of Greenville lauded this trail on the back of the US Pro Championship Road Race "program" that I picked up at the ticket tent.

Meanwhile, on the Travelers Rest end, the first steps appear to have been taken as weeds along the rail line have apparently been sprayed and are in demise (at least along one stretch of the track).

I can't wait to jump on this thing and ride it into downtown Greenville from T.R. :yahoo:

The description of this trail from the USA Cycling Pro Championships Program says the following:

City of Greenville Trail System

The City of Greenville is nearing completion of a 1-mile Rail-to-Trail Multi-Use Pathway* addition along the Reedy River. This new trail connects several existing City landmarks such as Downtown Greenville, Falls Park, The West End, Cleveland Park, and RiverPlace. Eventually, this trail will link a planned Greenville County Trail System from Travelers Rest through Furman University to the downtown Greenville trails.

The new trail will be a total of 12 ft. wide and features both 8 ft. of paved surface for bicycles, skaters, and walkers with an additional 4 ft. of rubberized surface for runners. Amenities along the trail include lighting, picnic areas, benches, water fountains, restrooms, signage, and bicycle racks. Views of the Reedy River are plentiful throughout the trail. For more information regarding the City of Greenville Trail System, contact the Park & Recreation Department at 1 (864) 467-4350.

• 2 weeks later...

From the PDF -

August 25,2006 Tentative Award Date

August 28 - September 8,2006 Contract Negotiations, Issue Notice to Proceed

Anyone know if this was done?

I don't know for sure, Sam, but I'm sure you've noticed the weeds being whacked and sprayed along the line here in T.R. of late. I imagine if the rails have been sold, it's just a matter of time before they're ripped up. If anybody knows whether this step has been completed or not, please let us know! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I rode my bike on the newly finished part of rails-to-trials next to Linky Stone Park earlier today. There were a ton of city workers finishing up the rubberized surface and installing water fountains along with benches and other things. It's a very nice looking trail and seemed to be very safe. It will look a lot better though once the Kroc Center and Camperdown Condos get built in the near future. :)

I checked out the new rubberized running path alongside the new rail-to-trail heading north out of downtown, and it is incredible! It is like running on padded carpet when compared with the standard concrete sidewalks. This new trail system will be such an important asset to new and current residents. :yahoo:

The trail is going to be a great example to the county of the impact the trail can have on our community.

If you haven't run, biked, or walked on the trail yet... you must. It's amazing. I hope the county is noticing the impact the trail is having, if only after less than a week in operation. Also, the City put this park in in less than 10 days. This is absolutely incredible.

Caution... If you run this rubberized trail, you will be committed to a new exercise program. Caution is advised.

trailsun.jpg

trailoffice.jpg

park1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^

It'd be nice if this same sort of thing were to be done under the Church Steet Bridge to help tie McBee Station to South Main via some more pedestrian-friendly, inviting space. It's rather dull and uninviting under the Church Street Bridge at the moment. Also, that stair well up to the top of the bridge needs some refreshing.

The trail is very nice. I hope the 4' rubberized surface extends all the way to Travelers Rest. It's a joy on which to jog. :shades:

276964448_8a17e9db5b_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How well lit is the trail? Is it safe to run on in the evening?

My understanding from reading the City of Greenville's advertisements is that it (at least the newly opened portion in Downtown Greenville) was supposed to have been well lighted and patrolled, but I've not seen any lamp posts go in yet. I can't speak to how well patrolled it is.

Edited by RestedTraveler

• 2 weeks later...

I believe this trail is not part of the trail to lake Conestee but a connecting trail for the neighborhoods around Mcalister Square. Still the city has made the best of controlling floodwaters in the area by creating this nature area with the trail.

I believe you're right, now that I realize where this is. This is next to Publix, I believe? It's all part of the same trail network, though. :thumbsup: The main train is going to go through/adjacent to the Greenville Tech campus, if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by RestedTraveler

I believe this trail is not part of the trail to lake Conestee but a connecting trail for the neighborhoods around Mcalister Square. Still the city has made the best of controlling floodwaters in the area by creating this nature area with the trail.

Thanks Trey. Where will this trail join the main southern trail?