Rails to Trails

RestedTraveler

Sounds like it is back on for Friday. Are you going RT?

I was planning to maybe run over there during my lunch break...if I get one. It all depends on how busy I am and Friday's are usually sheer hell for me at work with a lot of very demanding people usually wanting the impossible at the last possible hour of the work week. I'll definitely break away if I can do so.

Well, I spent about three hours at the demonstration. It wasn't what I expected. I was expecting to see some paving with something similar to asphalt, but it was nothing like that. What they do is use the existing soil, and run this giant tiller thing through it. They then spray the Roadzyme solution on it. They compact it, and then repeat the entire process. Once the solution has been applied a second time, they run the roller over it, and eventually the soil is extremely hard. The road grader drove over it, and did not leave any marks. They did lay some pea gravel down in a small section, but I'm not sure if that is what they are going to do.

In other words, instead of asphalt, they used the existing soil, mix a special enzyme in it, and compact it to the extent that it becomes hard. It's a fraction of the cost of asphalt, and much, much faster.

Well, I spent about three hours at the demonstration. It wasn't what I expected. I was expecting to see some paving with something similar to asphalt, but it was nothing like that. What they do is use the existing soil, and run this giant tiller thing through it. They then spray the Roadzyme solution on it. They compact it, and then repeat the entire process. Once the solution has been applied a second time, they run the roller over it, and eventually the soil is extremely hard. The road grader drove over it, and did not leave any marks. They did lay some pea gravel down in a small section, but I'm not sure if that is what they are going to do.

In other words, instead of asphalt, they used the existing soil, mix a special enzyme in it, and compact it to the extent that it becomes hard. It's a fraction of the cost of asphalt, and much, much faster.

I spent some time on the trail yesterday near Furman. I snapped a couple of pics below. What will the finished surface look like? Looks like everything is ready for the final surface.

Such an awesome addition to the areas trail system. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

DSC04318.jpg

DSC04316.jpg

I took a little walk yesterday afternoon and explored the section between Watkins Road and Sulpur Springs Road in the Berea area.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/linkerjpatric...57602307968197/

Just go backwards in the list to view the photos. Excuse the blurriness as I was using my iPhone and I think the lens got smudged while being in my pocket but I didn't feel like toting my Digital SLR. I also mapped them in Flickr so you could see the exact location along with some older ones I took in the set. I plan on do the Furman to T.R. walk in the near future.

Thanks for the update Galley. I wasn't able to make it out there on Friday, but what you described is not what I was expecting either. I'll have to go check it out soon. How long a stretch of trail did they do for the demonstration?

Thanks for the update Galley. I wasn't able to make it out there on Friday, but what you described is not what I was expecting either. I'll have to go check it out soon. How long a stretch of trail did they do for the demonstration?

I wasn't able to go either, but I may run over there after work today and have a look at it. I'll take the camera, of course. :camera:

The section they did was 150 feet. It's located across from the maintenance bldg. With the proper preparation, I could see them doing a section that size in less than one hour, but no more than two.

I ran over during lunch (no photos - didn't want to get the camera wet). Aside from the two signs marking the ends of the section that was treated, it's indistinguishable from the rest of the trail, although it did seem hard and smooth and almost resistant to erosion from water.

I'm not sure what the pea gravel was for either. It's just a small pool of the gravel. It'd be interesting to know if they intend to lay a layer of gravel over the entire surface if they treat the entire trail in the same way.

As you walk through the gate from behind where the Doughboy statue used to be (now a small birdbath), the treated section is to your left. It's down about 200 yards or so. It's deliniated by two small white signs that explain that the roughly 300 feet of trail between the signs is a demonstration/test area.

Also - some good press from the Greenville News on this test.

Edited by RestedTraveler

No one really announced what was going on at the demonstration. There were a few engineers there that I overheard talking to other folks. They said it would take 5-6 days for the surface to "cure". I'm not sure if they planned on putting the pea gravel on it or not. What's most interesting is the following quote:

"With three pieces of equipment, and four or five guys, we can build a mile of this type of trail a day," said Joe Picone, a sales representative for FTDA, which markets Roadzyme.

No one really announced what was going on at the demonstration. There were a few engineers there that I overheard talking to other folks. They said it would take 5-6 days for the surface to "cure". I'm not sure if they planned on putting the pea gravel on it or not. What's most interesting is the following quote:

Will today's heavy rains effect the curing?

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me for the off-topic comment, but the trail connection involving Greenville Tech made me think about the need for a public four-year university in Greenville. I still hope there are some people in authority who would like to see Greenville Tech become a four-year university (Greenville University, perhaps?). I know this was discussed within the last year or two, but was basically shot down by state government. With Sanford leaving office soon, perhaps the new governor would be open to discussing it. I realize that is probably a longshot at this point, especially with education funding in this state being what it is. But there is certainly a demand for it, given Greenville's metropolitan area population as well as increasing difficulty of acceptance at schools like Clemson and Furman.

The recent economic report on our area listed the lack of workers with four-year degrees as a major problem. Opening a large four-year university to provide students the opportunity to have an affordable four-year degree would be HUGE. I'm sure it will come down to money not being available, but if we are serious about taking our city to the next level this will be something that is seriously considered. It's sorely needed, guys.

Edited by Greenville

Forgive me for the off-topic comment, but the trail connection involving Greenville Tech made me think about the need for a public four-year university in Greenville. I still hope there are some people in authority who would like to see Greenville Tech become a four-year university (Greenville University, perhaps?). I know this was discussed within the last year or two, but was basically shot down by state government. With Sanford leaving office soon, perhaps the new governor would be open to discussing it. I realize that is probably a longshot at this point, especially with education funding in this state being what it is. But there is certainly a demand for it, given Greenville's metropolitan area population as well as increasing difficulty of acceptance at schools like Clemson and Furman.

The recent economic report on our area listed the lack of workers with four-year degrees as a major problem. Opening a large four-year university to provide students the opportunity to have an affordable four-year degree would be HUGE. I'm sure it will come down to money not being available, but if we are serious about taking our city to the next level this will be something that is seriously considered. It's sorely needed, guys.

Not to take us further off topic, but I think moving the potential 4-year school to the County Square site would be a good move. I wish Furman was still there. Not sure what to do with their current location on Pleasantburg, though. Haha, I see the costs rising and the probability going down the drain...

Edited by GvilleSC

Not to take us further off topic, but I think moving the potential 4-year school to the County Square site would be a good move. I wish Furman was still there. Not sure what to do with their current location on Pleasantburg, though. Haha, I see the costs rising and the probability going down the drain...

That would be a good location in relation to downtown, but I don't think there is enough room on the County Square site for a public four-year university. Greenville Tech's campus seems much larger, with room to expand.

That would be a good location in relation to downtown, but I don't think there is enough room on the County Square site for a public four-year university. Greenville Tech's campus seems much larger, with room to expand.

As alluded to above, Furman moved from this exact location in the 1950s for the very same reason: lack of space to expand and grow. An area west of downtown may be best suited for a large entity such as a university.

Back to the subject of rail trails. see the attched message that Ty Houck just sent out about a possible trail grant. I encorage everyone to watch the movie and leave comments.

GCRD is applying for a $100,000 trail grant for the Greenville Hospital System Swamp Rabbit Tram Trail. One of the requirements is a public meeting to show support and receive comments.

It seemed contradictory to have everyone drive to a meeting that was to support a trail that promotes people not using their cars.

So, everyone can attend the meeting by viewing the short slide show and following the directions at the end.

Go to

http://www.gcrd.org/swamprabbit/08gcrdapplication.mov

And tell everyone you know to do the same.

Thanks you for your support.

OK...been giving this some thought. As environmentally friendly as the Roadzhyme may be, It doesn't seem to me that the road surface would be very smooth and free of obstacles (rocks, etc.) using this method. Runners and cyclists on this trail would literally turn into trail runners/cyclists and would no doubt get banged up just as much due to the rocks and things in the trail. I think I'd rather see tarmac put down the length of the trail with a width of running surface like what is used downtown.

OK...been giving this some thought. As environmentally friendly as the Roadzhyme may be, It doesn't seem to me that the road surface would be very smooth and free of obstacles (rocks, etc.) using this method. Runners and cyclists on this trail would literally turn into trail runners/cyclists and would no doubt get banged up just as much due to the rocks and things in the trail. I think I'd rather see tarmac put down the length of the trail with a width of running surface like what is used downtown.

I walked on it the other day and it was pretty darn smooth although it's hard to imagine something like beet extract standing up to the test of time. I think it's only a test however and the long term plans are to do a real paving if they get the Tram.

I agree with you RT. The Roadzyme surface would not work for road bikes, skates, maybe even strollers. I think that the County realizes that it is not the best solution at this point. We need asphalt on the trail.

Speaking of greenways, did everyone see the bridge that is going in on the Reedy River Greenway right now?

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....NEWS01/80326020

Edited by JCT

Speaking of greenways, did everyone see the bridge that is going in on the Reedy River Greenway right now?

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....NEWS01/80326020

Excellent to see! I've been going by this portion of greenway under construction almost daily and can't wait for it to be open. Really excited about this! :yahoo:

I think this portion will see some heavy use.