Perimeter Center East & West District Developments

Kenneth Disraili-Jean

• 5 months later...

Lately State Farm Insurance has been very bullish on the Perimeter Center area. There has been mass office space absorption and jobs announcements in the last three months from the insurance behemoth. Now there is news that State Farm has begun discussions with GID Development about its more than 30 acre site near Perimeter Mall where the insurance giant could put a regional hub. State Farm has shown a preference for locating new offices near public transportation. Which is always great considering Atlanta's notorious but improving traffic situation.

GID-BS.jpg?v=1 

This is the site directly west of the Dunwoody MARTA Station in the Perimeter Center.

State Farm is considering an office project that could range from 1 million square feet to 1.5 million square feet and cost around $300 million to develop.

As news develops and becomes more concrete, I'm sure there will be more added about this massive project. As has been reported in business development news of late, State Farm as been doing a great deal of office absorption in Phoenix, Dallas and Atlanta for regional hubs. It's great to see Atlanta's economy growing by so many different industries.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2013/03/08/state-farms-atlanta-project-could-be.html 

In Perimeter Center News:

More apartments are flourishing. 

Citizen-Perimeter-by-Pollack-Shores-300x

Here is a rendering of luxury apartments at the corner of Hammond Dr. and Peachtree-Dunwoody Rd. 

Pollack Shores, which is based in Sandy Springs, in January started work on a new apartment complex that will add 341 luxury apartments at Hammond Drive and Peachtree Dunwoody Road in Sandy Springs. Construction is scheduled to begin in the spring, with completion scheduled for 2014. The apartments will be part of a mixed-use development and will replace parts of the existing Hammond Center development on the south side of Hammond Drive. When complete, the new apartment complex will offer a lawn where residents can socialize, a wellness and fitness center, a yoga area and a dog spa.

Perimeter-web.jpg

Here is a rendering of another complex in Perimeter Center.

The Apartments at Perimeter Town Center will be part of a larger mixed-use project developed by Ackerman. It will offer 350 units and high-end finishes and amenities, including 10’ ceilings, island kitchens, solid surface counter tops, tiled back-splashes, upgraded cabinets and lighting, and plank flooring. The project will be have access directly from Hammond Drive and will be designed around a private central courtyard.

Both locations are not far from the Dunwoody Marta Station.

• 1 month later...

The Perimeter Center area continues to increase in density.

This is a week old but worth noting. Hines sought and received the green light for its massive development in Sandy Springs. The proposed development is right next to GA 400 at the Abernathy interchange.

Northpark-thumb.jpg  

This will be a really big project by Hines. 100 Northpark would include 1.5 million square feet office space - with towers as high as 20 stories -, 150,000 square feet of retail, 500 multifamily units - most likely apartments - and a 250 room hotel. It is one block west of the Sandy Springs MARTA station and maybe two miles from Perimeter Mall. As of this posting, I have not heard if the Sandy Springs City Council has given the final approval but I do know that Mayor Galambos is on board with the development. The estimated completion date for 100 Northpark is 2017.

Sandy_Springs_550.jpg       

In the photo above, the location of the development would be just left of the brown buildings at the top center of the picture bordered by GA 400. Sandy Springs continues to mature...even if it's baby steps. Let us hope that this development includes as many pedestrian friendly options as possible.  

A quick read here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2013/04/hines-gets-green-light-on-100-northpark.html

Edited by Lady Celeste

Hyatt Hotels plans new hotel at Villa Christina in Perimeter Center. Well actually it is already under construction but the announcement was made in December. 

dr_9.JPG

While the architecture is not earth shattering, it fills a need for more full service hotel rooms in this growing Atlanta submarket. The ten story hotel will be Hyatt's 16th hotel in the Atlanta market.

The 173-room hotel will be built adjacent to the Villa Christina restaurant and conference center at Perimeter Summit, an 83-acre development with 1.4 million square feet of class A office space.

The hotel will accommodate Villa Christina’s bustling business. With about 20,000 square feet of meeting space, the Italian-themed facility hosts more than 1,000 events a year, including weddings and corporate events.

The new hotel will include a rooftop pool with views of Buckhead, an outdoor garden, a ballroom and meeting space. There will be 47 guest suites and 126 standard guest rooms.

Guests will have access to walking trails in Perimeter Summit, as well as free shuttles to MARTA and Perimeter Mall.

This development was brought to my attention by our very own ImmovableMedia from Youtube. He also filmed a short snippet of construction already under way. Enjoy....

An old article giving details of the development.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2012/12/07/new-hyatt-hotel-to-be-built-on-north.html?page=all  

Also in construction news in the Perimeter Center:

Construction of Cox Enterprises new corporate headquarters continues. I have searched for a rendering of the high tech building but I guess it's a top secret or you may have to take a trip to the construction site. Maybe someone here has seen the render and can post it. What I do know is that it will be a 19 story building at Cox's Sandy Springs campus. It will also encompass 600,000 square feet of high tech class A office space.

Lucky for us, ImmovableMedia is on the construction case. Here is a video shot by him on 4/8/13.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Also in construction news in the Perimeter Center:

Construction of Cox Enterprises new corporate headquarters continues. I have searched for a rendering of the high tech building but I guess it's a top secret or you may have to take a trip to the construction site. Maybe someone here has seen the render and can post it. What I do know is that it will be a 19 story building at Cox's Sandy Springs campus. It will also encompass 600,000 square feet of high tech class A office space.

Lucky for us, ImmovableMedia is on the construction case. Here is a video shot by him on 4/8/13.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdOqCBVt8P8

We finally have a rendering for Cox Communication's new HQ tower...

coxii_02.jpg

Courtesy of DudaPaine.com

coxii_05.jpg

This is a very realistic rendering of the building. It's the tallest building of Cox's four building complex. Perimeter Center is growing up right before my eyes. 

Interesting that I just posted about Cox Communication's new HQ tower under construction and now this:

Bloomberg is reporting this afternoon about a potential merger between Cox Communications and Charter? Hmmmm....more details to come I an sure of it. *fingers crossed* 

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2013/08/02/cox-communications-merger-with-charter.html

In other news concerning Perimeter Center companies:

If you are looking for a job and are in the Atlanta area, State Farm is hiring 800 people...starting like right now. If you don't mind working in the Perimeter Center, this may be something of interest. There was no big announcement, no incentives to State Farm. This is merely State Farm's continued ramping up of operations in Atlanta. As stated above, they have recently inked lease deals on major square footage in the Perimeter Center. The insurance giant is also in talks with a major developer and the Perimeter Center CID for a potential complex across from the Dunwoody MARTA Station.

• 1 month later...

Like a good neighbor....State Farm is there!

State Farm needs more office space in the Perimeter Center. 

State Farm seems to be very bullish on the Perimeter Center area. Now it appears that the insurance giant is seeking more space in the fast growing business district. State Farm is scouting the area for an additional 100,000 square feet of office space. This is on top of the 1 million square feet of office space it has already committed to in the last two years in the Perimeter Center. They have already added close to 1000 jobs in this year alone. They have stated on more than one occasion that access and/or proximity to MARTA is paramount 

Could State Farm finally beak ground on something special in area? Only time will tell. Right now the Perimeter Center is enjoying having State Farm as its neighbor.

Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2013/09/state-farm-needs-more-perimeter-office.html

Hyatt Hotel at Villa Christina: 0EFEv8jwrBs

The building has topped out. @ 10 floors, it fits perfectly with its surroundings. It's really great that most of the trees fronting the street have been saved and will be incorporated in the landscaping. 

Cox Enterprises TowerRpUANMAAWoI

Crews are racing ahead! A 2nd crane has been installed as work continues on the 9th floor.

Citizens Perimeter ApartmentsSdsIyHxekII

I can't believe how fast crews are building the wood framed apartments. 6 weeks ago they were no buildings up yet (just the parking deck) and now their topping out at 6 floors. Pretty quick IMO

1160 Hammond ApartmentsSdsIyHxekII

Crews are moving a little slower here. Foundation work continues as the parking deck goes up on the northern end of the lot.

• 4 weeks later...

well it is now official....

Sate Farm campus to be landmark for Atlanta.

Recently there has been many major real estate purchases by State Farm Insurance in the Perimeter Center area. Now we know officially what has been talked about in commercial development circles for months now. State Farm will build its campus in the Perimeter Center. State Farm now controls about 17 acres at the intersection of Perimeter Center Parkway and Hammond Drive by the Dunwoody MARTA station. That land is zoned for 2 million square feet of new development.

State Farm Insurance Co. appears set to launch one of the largest corporate office projects in metro Atlanta’s history. The massive development along Atlanta’s Perimeter could involve thousands of workers and cost more than $1 billion, and it picked up speed in the past week.

As I have stated before, the campus will be right across the street from the Dunwoody MARTA station. At 29,000,000 square feet of office space, the Perimeter Center is quite the edge city. Also, considering that the build-to-suit complex could cost upwards of $1 billion, I am sure there will be much to discuss about it once more definitive information and/or renderings are available. This development should also spark many ancillary developments for the Perimeter Center sub-market.

Read more here if you like: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2013/10/18/state-farm-campus-to-be-landmark-for.html

State Farm Plans for vacant 13 acres at Hammond Exchange. Would like to know what State Farm plans for the vacant land. The current zoning for two 30 story residential towers would almost completely block the view of Buckhead and downtown from our The Manhattan condo. I would sure like to see something more in scale to the existing Hammond Exchange building and was wondering if anyone has heard what they might be planning.

Edited by tcobbhome

Welcome to the forum Tcobbhome. We all are very curious as to what State Farms' plans are in this location. They are definitely shoring up for something big. It has been reported that they want to build 1 to 1.5 million square feet of office space and are willing to spend over $1 billion to do so. To hear them use the term "landmark" gives us a glimpse that it will be something special. Does that translate into height? Only time and renderings will tell.

In my mind, The Concourse towers 3 and 4 are THE landmark for the Perimeter Center area. State Farm will have to top those to garner the title as "landmark". State Farm now owns many acres in the area so maybe height won't be a component. There's the 17 at the intersection of Perimeter Center Pkwy and Hammond Drive...directly across from the Dunwoody MARTA station, 13 acres at Hammond Exchange and 3.9 across Hammond Drive from the 17 acres. Maybe they are holding the 13 acres at Hammond Exchange for future development or perhaps to sell. That is pure speculation on my part however.   

As soon as a rendering is available, it will surely be posted.

• 3 months later...

As reported in today's Atlanta Business Chronicle, State Farm will break ground on the first building of its massive 2.2 million square feet regional office complex this summer. See post #2 for the original announcement last March. The complex is located at the corner of Hammond Dr and Perimeter Center Pkwy. The building will have direct access to the Dunwoody MARTA Station.

• 2 weeks later...

A map of current proposals for the Perimeter Center District. 

PB-Developers-Map.jpg

While the Perimeter Center is not everyone's favorite edge city, I thought it would be interesting to add this picture of the proposed developments in the area. A few pointers of interest about these proposals are:

• 5.62 million square feet of additional class A office space
  • 760,000 square feet of additional retail space
  • 3,925 additional residential units
  • 1,357 additional hotel rooms  

Say what you will about the Perimeter Center but it is one of the metro area's most vibrant...if not urban...districts. One of its saving graces is that it is accessible by four MARTA transit stations (Medical Center, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs and North Springs). Most of the current and future developments are happening next to or near these MARTA stations. To put it in perspective, the Perimeter Center currently has 29,000,000 square feet of office space, 6,000,000 square feet of retail, 123,000+ employees and some 40,000 residents. It is also home to the Fortune 500 companies of Newell Rubbermaid, UPS and First Data Corporation. 

• 1 month later...

A trio of developers wants to build 30 story office building in Perimeter Center. 

There is a story in the ABC (behind the paywall) that states that a trio of developers want to build a 30 story office building to lure back hotel giant IHG or another big company. If I recall correctly, I remember IHG being at the Ravinia before they moved up to Alpharetta. The site would be located at the intersection of GA 400 and Abernathy Rd. Maybe they could do a nice crown so the Perimeter Center areas could have three towers that are 500 feet and above. 

Stay tuned for more information.

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2014/04/11/30-story-tower-could-attract-corporate-hq.html  

*Correction* IHG's North American HQ's is still located in the 444' tall Ravinia 3. I don't know why I thought they moved to Alpharetta.   

Edited by Lady Celeste

• 3 weeks later...

State Farm to break ground on its 1 million+ square feet campus on May 15th 

This project was first officially announced in October 2013. (see page one for details) I am glad that this project is next to the Dunwoody MARTA station. The complex will have direct access to the station. 

Illinois-based State Farm and developer KDC have said they plan a complex of office towers, stores and restaurants and a hotel on 17 acres along Hammond Drive near Perimeter Mall. The insurer last year said it would move existing jobs to the national operations center and ultimately create 3,000 new jobs in metro Atlanta.

Source: http://www.ajc.com/news/business/state-farm-campus-to-break-ground-may-15/nfmxT/

• 2 weeks later...

Well, ground was officially broken yesterday on State Farm's campus. The picture posted by Kh9142 above shows the 26 story tower that will be built first. The tower will be ready for State Farm to occupy toward the end of 2016. At 2.2 million total square feet of office space, the entire State Farm campus (which includes this tower) will be metro Atlanta's largest single corporate office project in history.

When State Farm made the announcement about this campus in the Perimeter Center, they were adamant about transit accessibility. From this rendering, they were serious! In the plans I read that there would be a walkway specific to the building from the Dunwoody Station. The walk will clearly not be that long so maybe a greater percentage of workers will MARTA. With MARTA increasing the frequency of the trains back to an 8-10 minute headway, it definitely becomes more convenient.

The part of the campus across Hammond Drive seems a little less...how can I say this...urban to me. But again, it is in short walking distance to the Dunwoody MARTA station. Looking at the photo below, it makes me think. Perimeter Mall is sitting on a gold mine. The parking lot closest to Perimeter Center Pkwy really should be sold off to developers for residential. It's right at the MARTA station.

2014-05-07-state-farm-parks-master-plan*

I'm just glad that we don't have to wait years for things to get built. 

Edited by Lady Celeste