Thornton Park

spenser1058

• 5 months later...

It looks like Post Parkside might get a little facelift - some color swatches on the Lake Eola side of the building.  The fence at the bottom of this photo also surrounds what looks like the new World of Beer patio - it's small and not what I was expecting.   I should have taken a photo.

8529033507_d38504be3f_c.jpg

Edited by smileguy

If I had to give it a guess, I'd say they're staying earth tone, probably with the vertical swatch between the two windows becoming the base, with the light brown under it under windows and one of the blues replacing the red as the accent color. We'll see!

I guess I can speak to the Post stuff. The whole building will be repainted in the much brighter colors. Not sure exactly when but I was told it was the next part of the renovation of the project.

The WOB patio is not going there. It is going right where the roundabout is located on the side of the building and they are moving sidewalks and everything to place it there. My understanding is it will be raised up off the ground a few feet and be quite large.

• Like 2

Good!  It is a new patio - maybe a storage/service area on that side of the building. Is there a paint elevation for the building? It's not in a historic district - is there any appearance review that needs to happen?

Well that is beyond anything I would know. What I have found though from exploring signage is any real exterior change requires a review so wouldn't surprise me if the city had to approve it. They don't make anything quick or easy in this city.

I know the city has been out there a lot lately tearing dirt up and doing stuff all around the new WOB site so that is either part of the work required for the patio or possibly work required for the new art installation going in the middle of the roundabout.

Thanks for the post, @thehyppo. I'm glad to see buildout going on in your shop and look forward to walking over to try one of your treats. I've heard great things from friends who went to Flagler.

Yeah really glad we are finally moving forward again. We have a real unique space in that it actually spans the two buildings and thus created a lot of headaches and about two lost weeks. We got that all sorted out with the city and landlord and got things moving again. Hopefully we still can open this month but nothing moves as quick as you would like. Actually going to head down there now and make sure they are actually working.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

A neglected historic home in Thornton Park is getting new life; "Century-old Orlando home spared demolition". This is also one of the homes that fell victim to the Thornton Park arson a few years ago. Instead of tearing down the home & replacing it with a commercial structure, the new owner is pouring TLC (and lots of money) into his pet project. Lately it seems the majority of historic preservation stories covered by the OS have about saving homes in Winter Park, so it's nice to see the OS shine a light on historic preservation happening in Thornton Park as well.

On a side note, regarding a past topic in a separate thread where we recently discussed Thornton Park's forgotten seedy history (with troubles similar to Parramore);

On 12/17/2015 at 10:22 AM, nite owℓ said:

Again, regarding perspective, there are still people who view the Eastern portion of Downtown as unsafe/undesirable although many of us who actually live, work and play here would beg to differ. That said, let's not forget there were also areas of downtown around Lake Eola that had deteriorated akin to preset-day Parramore status as well - complete with druggies, prostitutes, boarded up neglected homes and homeless-havens (Tale of Two Neighborhoods, It's a Beautiful Day in the Gayborhood). I'm sure many from the suburbs scoffed at the idea of creating a "historic" Lake Eola heights district back in the 70's and 80's too, but look how far the neighborhood has come.

a group of friends share their memories about the evolution of the Thornton Park neighborhood:

I love hearing back-stories like this. Much to my bewilderment, there are still people to this day who insist Downtown Orlando and the surrounding neighborhoods are unsafe and undesirable. When I bought my first fixer-upper in Lake Davis, friends and family members couldn't see the potential and only saw the negatives of both the home and the neighborhood. And that was only 6 years ago! To each his own, I guess.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Burton's has been a tradition since before I was born, before the neighborhood was ever called Thornton Park (kids used to sneak over from the old Orlando High School!) I don't even have words (although I heard it was coming):

http://bungalower.com/2017/02/28/eyes-street-burtons-bar-grill-closes-thornton-park-location-80-years-business/

(from Bungalower)

It will be interesting to see what's next.

• 1 month later...

I hate what's happened to Thornton Park recently. Old Graffiti location empty, Burtons empty, Vera empty and now the Baoery is gone. Not to mention Island Time with boards on the door and window, and hopes of the lot next to the laundry mat probably lessened. BTW Graffiti's "renovation" of Wildside was pathetic. It's arguable they made it worse.

I definitely agree with how underwhelming GJ's redo of Wildside was, but the older part of that building is held together with spit and duct tape. If they really set out to fix it, I fear for how sterile the result might be. As for the Baoery, I didn't see the point. If I'm going for Asian, I'd rather go authentic and wander over to Mills/50 and pay a lot less as well. Meanwhile, I still have a warm feeling whenever I go to Dexter's (knowing it was arguably O-town's first Publix) and Maxine's on Shine is just wonderful as the ultimate cozy neighborhood hangout.

Edited by spenser1058

On 3/1/2017 at 11:36 PM, popsiclebrandon said:

I think we'll see a person who already owns a lot of downtown bars move into the space and take the entire building for an actual restaurant/bar to get the SRX license.

Deal is done with the new owners, which are already established amazing downtown owners. Can't say anymore about it. Beers flowing again real, real soon. :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Going to be tough I think to fill that 7 nights a week with no one being able to do more than 1 night but its a great idea.

Tried to put a semi-permanent type concept like this into the old Verde space but didn't get any interest from the landlord so glad to see someone getting this general idea going in the area.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Going to be tough I think to fill that 7 nights a week with no one being able to do more than 1 night but its a great idea.

Tried to put a semi-permanent type concept like this into the old Verde space but didn't get any interest from the landlord so glad to see someone getting this general idea going in the area.

Looks like it'll be open Thursday - Sunday only. Also - looks like they will have a permanent "bar menu".