Thornton Park

spenser1058

• 4 weeks later...

Thornton Park Neighborhood Association is posting that a petition is circulating within the Lake Lawson's Historic District to work with OUC and the City to bury power lines and make other improvements. Let's hope we see more of this in the historic neighborhoods- it's so overdue.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Thornton Park Neighborhood Association is posting that a petition is circulating within the Lake Lawson's Historic District to work with OUC and the City to bury power lines and make other improvements. Let's hope we see more of this in the historic neighborhoods- it's so overdue.

This needs to happen citywide.  Most back yards anywhere near downtown have power lines draped over them.  I've heard that it is cost prohibitive, but don't they spend money every storm fixing downed power lines because of trees knocking them down? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bulldogger said:

This needs to happen citywide.  Most back yards anywhere near downtown have power lines draped over them.  I've heard that it is cost prohibitive, but don't they spend money every storm fixing downed power lines because of trees knocking them down? 

That's what I've also wondered although I'm told they supposedly have to deal flooding issues when they're underground so who knows which costs more.

• 4 weeks later...

This ad on Loopnet suggests the Thornton Park Spa has closed. Wonder if a larger competitor coming to South Eola had anything to do with it or just a coincidence.

Anyway, it will be sad to lose another business open to the public to office space but retail in TP is often fickle (with exceptions like the 7-Eleven which will outlive us all!)

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/20332967/23-N-Summerlin-Ave-Orlando-FL/

• 3 months later...

After the longest buildout since Ace Cafe (and at least they were renovating an old building), Sufii Day Spa is finally open, according to the Thornton Park Neighborhood Association. It's next to Muddy Waters in South Eola. Still more to come with some sort of gym or MMA facility next door.

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bungalower is reporting the long-empty space that once held 7-Eleven's local offices may finally see a tenant:

http://bungalower.com/2017/11/26/new-tenant-moving-vacant-space-thornton-park-7-eleven/

Whether Heavenly Foot Massage is the tenant or not (Oh Thank Heaven!), it's good they're finally sprucing up that spot after all these years. If ever there were a candidate for demolition that I'd approve of, this would be it. (Ironically, back when Publix almost secured the block back in the late '90's, we almost got a new Sevvie with gas pumps.)

Edited by spenser1058

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Bungalower is reporting the long-empty space that one held 7-Eleven's local offices may finally see a tenant:

http://bungalower.com/2017/11/26/new-tenant-moving-vacant-space-thornton-park-7-eleven/

Whether Heavenly Foot Massage is the tenant or not (Oh Thank Heaven!), it's good they're finally sprucing up that spot after all these years. If ever there were a candidate for demolition that I'd approve of, this would be it. (Ironically, back when Publix almost secured the block back in the late '90's, we almost got a new Sevvie with gas pumps.)

I hope they open up the facade a little bit. 

Take out some of that solid brick below those high windows and put in bigger plate glass display windows.

The place looks like some kind of top secret military installation.

CIA / FBI field office maybe.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lake Lawsona is pursuing a plan for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.

The designation is the next step beyond inclusion as one of Orlando's Historic Districts (which the neighborhood already is.)

The NRHP adds an extra layer of protection for historic areas as well as some tax credits (although those may be affected by the recent change in tax laws.)

Given the tendency of developers with no ties to the area to turn tree-lined vistas into tomorrow's parking lots and City Hall's tendency to aid and abet that process, I'm glad to see this. Hopefully, they'll be successful.

https://www.otownpaper.com/articles/lake-lawsona-pursues-national-register-listing/

From otownpaper.com

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2018 at 7:47 PM, spenser1058 said:

Scott J stopped in at Big Time Street Food Co. and likes the food but isn't crazy about some of the prices.

I'm just glad there's something in that space again after what seems like forever.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/recent-reviews/51-american/4418-big-time-street-food-co

They have good bar food. It was nice being able to get something to eat while at Burton's. 

I wonder how many people will get food from there if they aren't drinking at Burton's though. I think it could easily occupy the mind space of "Burton's Kitchen" in potential clientele. 

• Like 1