Thornton Park

spenser1058

On 9/2/2021 at 3:39 PM, spenser1058 said:

in faux TP, which the rest of us know as South Eola

The city told us in a meeting that the South Eola/Thornton Park thing is "very political" and in not so many words, we should accept that and not rock the boat or ruffle too many feathers. Oof.

At the wine walk last night the new owners of the apartment building at Church & Summerlin had someone sit in the yard giving out drinks and showing their renderings of what they're now calling "The James Apartments" with a huge mural of the Thornton Park fountain on the side, forthcoming. If you didn't know what it's supposed to be, the mural kind of looks like the underneath of a giant mushroom. It would make more sense for it to be a mural of the Lake Eola fountain - 1. It's def more recognizable, and 2. Actually part of the neighborhood where the building is located. Still, it's nice to see them fixing up the property since it's always looked pretty run down.

20210909_184911.jpg

20210909_184906.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’m in town this weekend and the Rainbow Flags are out in Thornton Park - PRIDE is almost here!

The Eola Publix seems to get busier each time I visit - I have to remember according to the powers that be there aren’t enough people downtown yet for successful retail.

Welcome to Fall!

Edited by spenser1058

On 9/10/2021 at 1:31 PM, dwSouthEola said:

The city told us in a meeting that the South Eola/Thornton Park thing is "very political" and in not so many words, we should accept that and not rock the boat or ruffle too many feathers. Oof.

At the wine walk last night the new owners of the apartment building at Church & Summerlin had someone sit in the yard giving out drinks and showing their renderings of what they're now calling "The James Apartments" with a huge mural of the Thornton Park fountain on the side, forthcoming. If you didn't know what it's supposed to be, the mural kind of looks like the underneath of a giant mushroom. It would make more sense for it to be a mural of the Lake Eola fountain - 1. It's def more recognizable, and 2. Actually part of the neighborhood where the building is located. Still, it's nice to see them fixing up the property since it's always looked pretty run down.

20210909_184911.jpg

20210909_184906.jpg

California Modern in the ‘70’s was so often done on the cheap that it is mostly dismissed. However, when it’s given some love it can be really awesome with lots of outdoor exposure.

They really did an amazing job on the interior also - they’re totally different from when I visited in the late ‘80’s and early ‘90’s:

https://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Florida/Orlando/629-E-Church-St/LV201465223/

From The Apartment Guide
Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure why the Thorton Park thread is in the Coffee House, but nonetheless... per https://www.yourcommunitypaper.com/pageview/viewer/2022-02-01#page=4 the City approved a 3 story mixed use building at 811 E. Washington. That is the lot next to the laundry mat across from the old Dexter's.  Roughly 800 sqft of retail and 6800 feet of condo. It still requires a minor zoning variance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 7:04 AM, spenser1058 said:

The entire Veranda complex, which includes properties both on N. Summerlin Ave. and E. Washington St., is up for sale:

https://bungalower.com/2021/10/04/the-veranda-at-thornton-park-is-for-sale/

From Bungalower 

Looks like it has been purchased. I like the idea he has for it (albeit, it's broad at the moment). One downside is it says, "work will begin by end of year"...well...that's a long time away. 

https://www.bungalower.com/2022/02/13/the-veranda-in-thornton-park-has-a-new-owner/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The retail space at Thornton Park Central sold for $7.4M to the same investor who purchased the Veranda.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/03/02/ustler-development-sells-thornton-park-retail.html

"The purchase of the retail property comes at a time when things are on a positive trajectory for the neighborhood’s commercial interests, said Lisa Cuatt, executive director of Thornton Park District Main Street. “I would say it’s definitely been on an uptick. … I feel a positive energy and I’ve noticed it in our neighborhood.”

Not sure what she means by "our neighborhood" since TPD isn't a neighborhood and the property is in South Eola. Still, I figured this was the appropriate place to post this and I'm glad she's feeling that positive energy.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

“The space vacated by Mason Jar on Washington Street, which is sort of attached to Burton’s Bar, will be replaced The Classic Thornton Park, a project of Brian Minkel, who used to be a bartender at Burton’s. We reported in 2019 that Minkel had purchased the former Dexter’s of Thornton Park, essentially across the street, and was planning to open something there, but then that pesky pandemic came along and plans changed. That space is now occupied by the Hawaiian themed The 808.”

From Scott J