Rivertown Revival

Allan

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It boggles my mind how dumb the leaders of Detroit really are. From the mayor to the city council to the people controlling what is and isn't built in the city. They don't realize that if they want to have "hip" neighborhoods that attract the so-called "creative class" they need to keep as much historical charm as they can. Creative people desire the very things the city wants to tear down and despise the very thing that the city is putting up. They don't want to live in a neighborhood with a few townhouses and a fortress-like apartment tower, a McDonald's on one corner and a parking lot on the other. They want the historic shops and warehouse lofts that Rivertown could easily offer. Sure, a lot of the stuff in Rivertown can be cleared for larger developments, but at least leave a core strip where small business can flourish and where the creative class can mingle.

Tuesday it is supposed to be mostly cloudy, high of 60. Wednesday will be a bit nicer...partly cloudy & high of 68.

I have some Rivertown photos from October. I will try to post some later tonight.

Tuesday it is supposed to be mostly cloudy, high of 60.  Wednesday will be a bit nicer...partly cloudy & high of 68.

I have some Rivertown photos from October.  I will try to post some later tonight.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps I will wait than. Id like to get a sunny day. I havent seen CMart or the Riverfront since it got warmer out and i would like to photograph them when they look their best.

I hope to go around that area later tomorrow before maybe a tour of the Renaissance Center. I love the Globe Trading Co, but I'm not sure if it was saved what it could be renovated into. It's not like the post and slab factories like Packard or the Screw Works that would be easier to save....if the screw works were still here today. If they can build a parking garage that looks like those old warehouses. We can easily build lofts and condos that have that same style (see Detroit Photo of the day). I love old warehouse architecture.

Here are some photos of Rivertown from last October. I was in Rivertown over the weekend, and saw that the city has repaved Franklin Street and the buildings that were wide open have now been boarded up.

Franklin Street

IMG_3410.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

IMG_3413.jpg

IMG_3476.jpg

IMG_3480.jpg

Globe Trading Company

IMG_3435.jpg

The now demolished Detroit Screw Works

IMG_3423.jpg

The soon to be demolished Medusa cement silo

IMG_3449.jpg

Atwater Street

IMG_3459.jpg

Skyline from Chene Park

IMG_3453.jpg

Tri-Centennial State Park

IMG_3448.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg

IMG_3441.jpg

I'm just so glad that the gateway to the East Riverfront is being developed with wide swaths of Auto dealership storage lots. I knew those old, historic buildings weren't worth saving! ;) Down with lots.

Archived