"Music City Park": our own version of Central Park (merged Centennial Park - My complaint)

nashvylle

PHofKS hit it on the head. Although, I would venture to guess it will be a few years sooner. When does the titans lease(or contract) run out? I want to say that it was originally 25 years. Seeing that this is year 14-15, I can guarantee you that when that lease is up, ole Bud A. will come with the ultimatum of "build us a new place, or we move to X city". That's unfortunately the nature of the NFL these days.

I could be off on the years a little bit, but it will sneak up on us. If it is 10-12 more years, I bet the talks begin in 9, which would give us 2-5 years to plan and build (running over the lease by a year or two. New stadium completed by 2025.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, what's the life expectancy of the Arena? In 15 years, it will probably be reaching the end of its useful career and will require either a major overhaul or re-build. What would be the odds of it relocating across the river? That big plot of land on Broadway may be way too valuable for them to sit on when they could re-build at PSC or the like.

Actually, what's the life expectancy of the Arena? In 15 years, it will probably be reaching the end of its useful career and will require either a major overhaul or re-build. What would be the odds of it relocating across the river? That big plot of land on Broadway may be way too valuable for them to sit on when they could re-build at PSC or the like.

The life expectancy depends on a number of factors. A major one is whether the owner is willing to spend the money for major renovations at times. A big killer for a lot of the pre-1990s arenas were the lack of luxury boxes, which have become a must for current pro arenas. Another is technology and design. Sometimes there comes a time when an arena becomes so obsolete, it's just not practical to renovate.

As of now, Bridgestone doesn't fall into any of these categories. And the city has invested millions updating the scoreboards and video control rooms to ensure that we are up to date on those technologies. It's impossible to tell for certain when such a change would happen that would render Bridgestone obsolete...but if it does, it will have done the same to numerous arenas across the NHL. If I had to guess...I'd say a 30 year life sounds about right. But who knows? It could last longer due to superior construction (in comparison to arenas built in previous times)...or shorter, due to a revolution in technology or design. One thing that does hurt our arena is that it is among the lowest capacity arenas in the league. It's not a problem right now...but if the team becomes more popular...or the financial dynamics require a higher amount of revenue from ticket sales, we might have to rebuild sooner than previously thought.

2 notes:

-Madison Square Garden is an example of what is basically an ancient arena in today's terms. The reasons it has lasted so long aren't because it's such a great arena, but rather the circumstances of having to select a new location for an arena would be extremely cost-prohibitive, and they already have a subway tie-in beneath the building. Rather than sink the better part of a billion dollars (because, it's NYC) into a new structure, they've spent $200 million on renovations. A couple of the other old venues (Nassau Coliseum, Joe Louis Arena, Rexall Place, and Scotiabank Saddledome) have had proposals to build new arenas...but most of the hangups are obviously due to public funding.

-Other hockey arenas that were built +/- 5 years from the time of our arena

--HP Pavilion (Sharks) 1993

--Honda Center (Ducks) 1993

--Scottrade Center (Blues) 1994

--United Center (Blackhawks) 1994

--Rogers Arena (Canucks) 1995

--TD Garden (Bruins) 1995

--Wells Fargo Center (Flyers) 1996

--Tampa Bay Times Forum (Lightning) 1996

--First Niagra Center (Sabres) 1996

--Bridgestone Arena (Predators) 1996

--Bell Centre (Canadiens) 1996

--Scotiabank Place (Senators) 1996

--Verizon Center (Capitals) 1997

--BB&T Center (Panthers) 1998

--Air Canada Centre (Maple Leafs) 1999

--PNC Arena (Hurricanes) 1999

--Staples Center (Kings) 1999

--Pepsi Center (Avalanche) 1999

--Nationwide Arena (Blue Jackets) 2000

--Xcel Energy Center (Wild) 2000

2/3 of the arenas in the league were constructed within 5 years of our arena. So I think we'll have a good idea when it's the right time to build a new one.

I will say (although I know it's not likely)I hope the Predators play in Bridgestone for decades to come. The location of the arena is irreplaceable! There is nowhere else in town that you could build with a nightlife and street life that is avaliable at Bridgestone. It's simply amazing to attend a game and then walk out onto Broadway. Many other cities try to fabricate this environment by building arenas surrounded by corporate restaurants and such (Staples Center comes to mind), but its just never nearly the same as being in the true urban fabric of a city.

While I am bias towards the Preds, I say this with conviction. I've visited 6 NHL arenas, 4 NFL stadiums, 11 MLB stadiums, 2 MLS stadiums among countless other race tracks and college venues. The only place I've ever been that is even in the same league (no pun) as Nashville's arena location is Wrigley Field.

The capacity issue is indeed a handicap, but as long as the NHL has revenue sharing and a salary cap in place, the Predators should remain financially competitive.

17,113 not including boxes is a decent number, nashvillwill. There are a few others with less (Edmonton, Dallas, NYI, Winnepeg). The ownership also just sunk a few million into updating the HVAC system amidst a few other upgrades. I have no doubt that the Bridge will be rocking for years to come.

True. But if you look at the numbers....

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2012

...you realize that even at 97.5 % of capacity (97.5! Our best year ever!!!!!) we are still 20th in the league. Even at 100%, we would max out at 19th in the league. In a sport that depends HEAVILY on at-gate-ticket-sales for revenue, that means we are almost destined to be a revenue sharing recipient.

I'm not complaining about the system, or trying to bash hockey. Trust me. I was a full season ticket holder until i moved out west, and plan to be again some day. I'm a die hard hockey fan. But I also realize the limits of our market and arena. Even if we had the highest per capita fan support of any team/city in the league, we are still going up against the big dogs. Toronto. 2.6 million avid hockey fans fighting to get 19,506 tickets every night.

But like I said, I'll take the Predators and Broadway over any of the 30 or so other sports venues I've visited. I would bet many of our tourists notice that too.

I know the lead project engineer for the design of Titans stadium from 17 years ago, and he said that the stadium is actually designed to accommodate a retractable dome. It is part of the reason the building looks barebones and lacks much of the ornamentation that other stadiums from that era have (like the BofA stadium). Of course, cost was also another reason. The building is not a complete bowl above the field level, so the housing for the roof could go outside the endzone seats. Plus, a more architecturally significant screen would wrap the building on both sides of the length of the building. He also said that the cost to retrofit the building at the time would have been $125 million (probably double since then).

I know the lead project engineer for the design of Titans stadium from 17 years ago, and he said that the stadium is actually designed to accommodate a retractable dome. It is part of the reason the building looks barebones and lacks much of the ornamentation that other stadiums from that era have (like the BofA stadium). Of course, cost was also another reason. The building is not a complete bowl above the field level, so the housing for the roof could go outside the endzone seats. Plus, a more architecturally significant screen would wrap the building on both sides of the length of the building. He also said that the cost to retrofit the building at the time would have been $125 million (probably double since then).

Very interesting. Retractable domes seem to be the current rage in the NFL and it is good that the design of LP Field would accomodate one. Makes much more sense to slap one of those on than to rebuild completely. I think LP Field has a great location (close enough to downtown to do stuff, but also seperated so it has lots of parking and doesn't destroy the fabric of downtown).

Don't forget that when Adelphia Colliseum was being built and the industrial part of East Nashville was being demolished, that density was promised. The stadium was supposed to spur a "village" of hotels, condos, businesses, and lots of dense, mutli-story mixed-use development to fill in the gap between downtown and East Nashville, which really doesn't start until you get to the other side of the interstate. 15 years later, that density has not appeared and there is still an ocean of parking over there.

I'm not sure what prevented that density from happening, but presumably those sites would be ready to accept all of those things today on the north/east side of LP field. So if there were going to be an office/hotel building boom on the east bank, it could (and should) get going now rather than waiting at least a decade to move/clean up the PSC site on the south side of LP Field.

Not to say that it couldn't or shouldn't then extend along Shelby in the area being discussed.

This is the master plan for Centennial Park.

http://www.conservancyonline.com/docs/cpmp_master_plan_final.pdf

There was also a news article the other day about city work crews finding the original spring that was of major importance 200 years ago.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/19589590/underground-spring-to-help-transform-centennial-park

I will say (although I know it's not likely)I hope the Predators play in Bridgestone for decades to come. The location of the arena is irreplaceable! There is nowhere else in town that you could build with a nightlife and street life that is avaliable at Bridgestone. It's simply amazing to attend a game and then walk out onto Broadway. Many other cities try to fabricate this environment by building arenas surrounded by corporate restaurants and such (Staples Center comes to mind), but its just never nearly the same as being in the true urban fabric of a city.

While I am bias towards the Preds, I say this with conviction. I've visited 6 NHL arenas, 4 NFL stadiums, 11 MLB stadiums, 2 MLS stadiums among countless other race tracks and college venues. The only place I've ever been that is even in the same league (no pun) as Nashville's arena location is Wrigley Field.

The capacity issue is indeed a handicap, but as long as the NHL has revenue sharing and a salary cap in place, the Predators should remain financially competitive.

I lived near Wrigley for 2.5 years. Yes, that location and how the masterpiece addresses is adjacent buildings is nothing short of stellar. Fenway Park is similar.

WW

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever been to a Grizz game at the Forum?

Have you ever been to a Grizz game at the Forum?

No, actually I haven't (not really into b-ball). I have been by the arena, but it wasn't on game night. Autozone Park (Redbirds) in Memphis is a great location, but doesn't have nearly as much entertainment nearby as Bridgestone. Although I know that FedEx is pretty close to Beale St. Is it as close as Bridgestone?

Like I said, it was just my perspective. I'm sure there are other places quite as nice, but its a stretch.

The only pro-basketball arena I've ever been to is Madison Sq. Garden. I was there for a hockey game, but it houses the Knicks as well. Still didn't like the location as much as Bridgestone.

The old Yankee Stadium was a close 2nd to Wrigley (much more "dirty", but still fun). Never been to Fenway though.

I love seeing the different perspectives that surface when it comes to the PSC site... has anyone considered the proximity of Shelby Bottoms / Vinny Links to the PSC site (1.3mi via Google Maps)? I'm not sure whether it would be a pro or a con, but I can't recall any conversation around it.

Personally, I feel it would make the task of connecting the east bank greenway areas along Music City Bikeway more of a hot topic and more feasible. I'd love to hear your opinions :)

Maury_county - first and foremost, welcome to the forum. As far as proximity, I know it has come up in several conversations past. I think that, if PSC were cleared, East Nashville becomes the greenest neighborhood in the US. Everyone will bike/walk and will do so without hindrance.

Archived